• 1 Post By BBMINI
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    PIN
    27f477c1
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BB10 feature idea: deep integration of cloud storage

Have a (or more than one) Dropbox, Box, Skydrive, Sugarsync, Google docs account?

Ideally, all of these cloud storage solutions would be baked into the OS, similar to how you "add email account" in the Settings menu, you'd be able to "add cloud storage".

With this feature idea, any place you would have a saveas/open, the cloud storage folder would appear alongside internal storage + SD card (if they do go with SD card in BB10 devices).
    00stryder likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Default Re: BB10 feature idea: deep integration of cloud storage

I like the idea and would lend to the whole "unified inbox" idea. Though, I though RIM bought a cloud storage service a few years back? I remember reading something about them not too long ago but wouldn't they try to provide their own service and integrate that into the OS?
    "The blacker the berry the sweeter the use..." -- 93Aero
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    PIN
    27f477c1
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I expect they'll be including some kind of BB branded cloud storage in the future. But they're going to need to allow support for the myriad of other cloud solutions that people will already have bought into.

Also, whatever BB branded cloud solution they come up with, is going to need a desktop sync component as well.
    CrackBerry Abuser

It's called BBM Cloud, everything cloud related will be stored through BBM servers and accessible by the desktop BBM app coming. This is what they're testing internally apparently, read it on several sites. Still a rumour but would be awesome.
    00stryder and Superfly_FR like this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Default Have a (or more than one) Dropbox, Box, Skydrive, Sugarsync, Google docs account? Ideally, all of t

Yes all this big names in the Industry are supported with this new feature of BB10. Even With JustCloud and SOS Online Backup and other best cloud storage services are compatible with BB10 feature which enables their cloud storage folder to appear alongside internal storage + SD card
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

Cloud services will be available for BB10 they already have it built into app world on the dev alpha.

Sorry there is something with the site it will not let me upload an image right now but i did tweet it https://twitter.com/i/#!/brandondely...c.com%2Fbcxwx0

take a look in the bottom right corner of the image

Edit: I guess it did upload
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BB10 feature idea: deep integration of cloud storage-img_00000208.jpg  
    Quote Originally Posted by G-bone View Post
    BlackBerry : We invented the Smartphone Business.
    We're takin' it Back!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    PIN
    27f477c1
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by AmmarNaeem View Post
    Yes all this big names in the Industry are supported with this new feature of BB10. Even With JustCloud and SOS Online Backup and other best cloud storage services are compatible with BB10 feature which enables their cloud storage folder to appear alongside internal storage + SD card
    I hope so. I have 16 GB of free Dropbox storage that I use daily.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    900 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adamschuetze View Post
    Ideally, all of these cloud storage solutions would be baked into the OS, similar to how you "add email account" in the Settings menu, you'd be able to "add cloud storage".
    Great idea, for sure. I'd love to get more and easier use out of the 50GB Box.net account that came with my PlayBook. I hope RIM brings it to fruition as others in the thread have indicated. In fact, I think a BB cloud offering will be something buyers will look for when comparing BB10 devices against other options. Now that WindowsPhone8 is pushing its compatibility with SkyDrive (and offering a free 7GB account with each WP8 device), I think people expect some type of cloud service as part of their smartphone's ecosystem.

Global Posts
    9,327 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

I expect they'll be including some kind of BB branded cloud storage in the future.
    This will be BB Cloud feature (with DM for desktops) ...
    But they're going to need to allow support for the myriad of other cloud solutions that people will already have bought into.
    This will be apps ...

They won't shoot themselves while cloud storage/management will weight a pile of $ ... IMHO.
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask

I wouldn't put any of my confidential stuff out in the cloud, unless it's my own private cloud which I already have. It's my computer!
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,669 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jly.public View Post
    I wouldn't put any of my confidential stuff out in the cloud, unless it's my own private cloud which I already have. It's my computer!
    What confidential stuff do people put in the cloud? That is not prudent.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask

You wouldn't believe the type of documents people share through public/free cloud services. Financial statements, loan applications, employment verification, etc... Although the services are probably secure and data may get encrypted during transmission, but still, that data are sitting on someone else's servers. Who knows what they'd do with them.
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,669 Global Posts

You wouldn't believe the type of documents people share through public/free cloud services. Financial statements, loan applications, employment verification, etc... Although the services are probably secure and data may get encrypted during transmission, but still, that data are sitting on someone else's servers. Who knows what they'd do with them.
    Insane (IMHO).

I use mine for music, movies, temporary back up of photos, to disseminate blank forms, etc. No personal docs.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    900 Global Posts

I don't doubt this and I wouldn't necessarily encourage storing sensitive info in the cloud, but I would at least point out that cloud service businesses have some very significant incentive to keep stored info of any and all kinds secure or else risk the viability of their entire business model and their businesses themselves. I suspect that if there were repeated news stories about how the Dropboxes, YouSendIts and SkyDrives of the world were hacked and/or lost lots of sensitive info, the interest in, and usage of, cloud services would drop significantly and there would be a shakeout in the industry as some of those services closed.

Like trelawrence, I tend to just store videos, music and less-than-critical documents in the cloud, but I also trust that the services are likely secure enough to trust them with more than that (although for now I'll let other folks confirm that, eh?).
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2B5A11B6

yup. bbm cloud is already there.
    that's where your next bbid integration and contacts are located.
    if u downloaded bbm7, u would have realized that there's no more backup/restore option in bbm menu.
    u just key in your bbid and the whole previous contacts are preloaded to your phone.
    and especially since bbm voice is now and bbm video will be next, rim definitely have a bigger server to store and serves bbm better.
    and oh yeah, lest not forget BB protect.
    that's where all your calendar, notepad, contacts are saved. in rim's big server.

Sent from my unsliding BB slider
    _______________jf

Wielding a BlackBerry STA100-2.

BBM#8
    for Random Quotes on motivations, health and wealth..

: subscribe to C001190A9
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,669 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BBMINI View Post
    I don't doubt this and I wouldn't necessarily encourage storing sensitive info in the cloud, but I would at least point out that cloud service businesses have some very significant incentive to keep stored info of any and all kinds secure or else risk the viability of their entire business model and their businesses themselves. I suspect that if there were repeated news stories about how the Dropboxes, YouSendIts and SkyDrives of the world were hacked and/or lost lots of sensitive info, the interest in, and usage of, cloud services would drop significantly and there would be a shakeout in the industry as some of those services closed.

Like trelawrence, I tend to just store videos, music and less-than-critical documents in the cloud, but I also trust that the services are likely secure enough to trust them with more than that (although for now I'll let other folks confirm that, eh?).
    Good point. One widespread breach, and they're done.
    CrackBerry Addict

Hi,

I invite to you to read :

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...review-751557/

Nicolas
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by BBMINI View Post
    Now that WindowsPhone8 is pushing its compatibility with SkyDrive (and offering a free 7GB account with each WP8 device), I think people expect some type of cloud service as part of their smartphone's ecosystem.
    It is not for every WP8 device, if you have a Windows Live/Microsoft account, you get the 7gb of SkyDrive space (25gb, if you lucked out and upgraded back to the original space allotment.). They are just linking it with Windows Phone.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    900 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joy1980 View Post
    It is not for every WP8 device, if you have a Windows Live/Microsoft account, you get the 7gb of SkyDrive space (25gb, if you lucked out and upgraded back to the original space allotment.). They are just linking it with Windows Phone.
    True, good point of clarification. But since the need for a Microsoft account is effectively a requirement for getting any real functionality out of WP8 devices, MS is essentially offering 7GB SkyDrive accounts with each device unless a WP8 user already has a SkyDrive account and can in that case just use it very well with their new WP8 phone. In fact, I have a 7GB SkyDrive account but am still a BB user (and would love to be able to get more functionality out of SkyDrive from my BB, BTW, but they don't seem to play together very well at this point).
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,327 Global Posts

with cloud storage integrated into BB10 they wouldn't need to come out with different size models like the iPhone. we have seen pix of the back insides of a L-Series and see that there is an SD card slot. we would have internal memory + cloud + SD. tons of places to store our files and 2 out of 3 of them wouldnt be "on the device" so it wont lag it. TH said that he has been using the BB10 for a few months now and has NEVER clocked. who knows maybe they set of the BB10 to allow the use of the 64GB SD cards
    Back from the depths!!!
    9000>>9950>>8530>>9810>>Z10>>iPhone 5>>Z10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    PIN
    27f477c1
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly_FR View Post
    This will be BB Cloud feature (with DM for desktops) ...

This will be apps ...

They won't shoot themselves while cloud storage/management will weight a pile of $ ... IMHO.
    While I applaud app developers who are making cloud-friendly file managers (Files and Folders, PlayCloud, others?), I am suggesting that the OS "speak cloud" at an OS-level. Baked-in. And so if people want to make cloud capable apps, they can use the built-in cloud API instead of having to reimplement it every time.Make a shortlist of cloud solutions (Dropbox, box, Sugarsync, Amazon, Skydrive, google Drive, others?), and support them out of the box. If a cloud provider changes an API, then issue an OS patch.
    Last edited by adamschuetze; 11-22-2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Added reference to PlayCloud