Yes, iOS supports Yahoo push. I have never had a Yahoo account though so I'm going off Wikipedia.

It also states that Yahoo is not pushed to Android devices. Where that leaves BB10 I have no idea.

The link below gives a general overview.

http://http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...mail#section_2
    Exactly, sorry, wasn't meaning to argue. May be a very small issue, but it is one for me. My work email is through yahoo, and I left the 9900 for the Galaxy S3 to try it, but it didn't push yahoo email, so I went back to my 9900. I just wish we could get more clarification on if BB10 will support those type of accounts like iOS and BB7, or like Android. Big issue for me, and probably for some others.

Thanks for your help trying to resolve this issue. Appreciate it.
    01-31-13 01:36 AM
    I just finished watching the launch event, and tripped over a comment that the BB10 does not have push email? Does anyone know for a certainty that this is a fact?
    Absolutely BB10 has push email. BB10 will have push email using Exchange Active Sync through a regular data plan, just like an iphone and Android.

You can elect to have your Gmail account set up as push or pull.

BlackBerry 10 Review | CrackBerry.com

E-mail is the heart and soul of BlackBerry. It's easy to set up, and compliant with many standards, including Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, POP, and IMAP. The major consumer web-based e-mail services like Gmail, Windows Live Mail, and Yahoo! are all supported, too. From the Hub, open the right-side menu, hit Settings, then Add Account at the bottom. If you want ActiveSync for your Google Apps account, you'll have to drill down into advanced settings at this stage, otherwise it will default to a slower IMAP sync. From there, punch in your log-in information, and BB10 will figure out all the necessary settings. You can always drill into the Advanced menu if you need to do some manual tweaking.
    Bla1ze and raymond like this.
    01-31-13 01:42 AM
    I don't know about any of you but I get my gmail instantaneously on my Playbook. If it's the same on Z10, good enough for me.
    Better yet, I get emails first on my PlayBook, THEN on my BB6 device.
    just_luc likes this.
    01-31-13 01:47 AM
    Absolutely BB10 has push email. BB10 will have push email using Exchange Active Sync through a regular data plan, just like an iphone and Android.
    I might as well get an iPhone or Android then. BlackBerry push is (was?) far superior to Active Sync or IMAP-IDLE. Not to mention it supports old IMAP accounts (without IDLE support) and POP3. Removing core functionality and saying "we're just doing what everyone else does" is not a way to win (or keep) customers.

BlackBerry cannot compete with Android or iPhone on their own terms. They don't have the apps or ecosystem to compete with the iPhone, or the raw performance and specs to compete with Android.
    01-31-13 01:53 AM
    Blackberry was known for email, they did it better then anyone else on a phone, it now appears that they are behind or at best the same as everyone else.

I am hoping I am wrong on this.
    01-31-13 02:02 AM
    People are freaking out over this lol. Email works just fine, and at least as well as with other systems. The Email management and Email experience are what will set BB10 apart. RIM is doing this so they can offer devices on the SAME data plans as everyone else, and the plans will not be more expensive (due to the service fees they charge).
    01-31-13 06:10 AM
    I'm gonna take a leap and say, the bottom line is that we hope microsoft doesn't stop the use of Push in hotmail.. The only other email provider I can think of is yahoo. But I'm just worried this was a secret attack a BB being known for its e-mail, and if it works, microsoft might follow
    01-31-13 06:18 AM
    The issue is Google is killing off Active Sync today, if the BB10 uses Active Sync for Google the question is will it continue to have push after today? Does anyone actually know if the BB10 supports IMAP IDLE? If anything the Google calendars have a better chance of not working after today.
    To the person that couldn't get Yahoo push on Android, you can use the excellent Yahoo Mail App and get Yahoo push.
    01-31-13 06:51 AM
    OK, I'm a bit confused.
    Do we have to set it to push every 30 days?
    If not what does it mean when you say it will push for 30 days?
    this would suck! The thing I most valued in BB was the push email.
    As much as I want this phone now, I may wait until my 9900 is finished.
    01-31-13 07:41 AM
    Its actually a pretty simple. Google is killing of ActiveSync Exchange. So all comments above about Exchange mean are correct only to this effect:
    1. Google is remove Exchange for any new pairings
    2. If you had your playbook setup already on Exchange then it will continue to work.
    3. Google will NOT allow new Exchange account pairings.

As for IMAP-IDLE (push email for IMAP), i'm not sure BB10 has that or not, either way it wouldn't be a good idea to use given the battery on BB10 devices. Almost all reviewers (I read a few outside of CrackBerry) have mentioned that the battery life is pretty bad. IMAP-IDLE would kill your battery pretty quickly. So again:
    1. Google supports IMAP-IDLE
    2. Not sure if BB10 Supports IMAP-IDLE
    3. Even if BB10 supports IMAP-IDLE, you'd be out of luck trying to use it with your phone for more than a few hours without killing the battery.

Hope this clears up some confusion. I might recommend just switching to outlook.com if you want push, or you can wait for google to roll out their own app for email (which would defeat the purpose of the HUB in my opinion), which I wouldn't hold my breath for.
    Admorris likes this.
    01-31-13 08:27 AM
    If I use outlook.com for my email, will I have push email?
    01-31-13 08:33 AM
    OK, I'm a bit confused.
    Do we have to set it to push every 30 days?
    If not what does it mean when you say it will push for 30 days?
    this would suck! The thing I most valued in BB was the push email.
    As much as I want this phone now, I may wait until my 9900 is finished.
    It means you can only get email that's up to 30 days old, not older.
    Regular push will work for any email service that provides Active Sync so Hotmail.com and most corporate Microsoft Exchange installations, we don't know if the BB10 supports IMAP IDLE the standard needed to get push on Gmail as of tomorrow.
    01-31-13 08:42 AM
    It means you can only get email that's up to 30 days old, not older.
    ah, ok, thanks. That is no problem for me, nor is gmail. refuse to use google stuff anymore.
    01-31-13 08:48 AM
    If I use outlook.com for my email, will I have push email?
    Yes outlook.com/hotmail supports ActiveSync Windows Live Hotmail gets Exchange ActiveSync | Ars Technica
    01-31-13 08:49 AM
    2 things keep being stated incorrectly in this thread...

1 - Google is NOT ending support for active sync tomorrow.. they have extended the deadline for new paring until July 31st... so that's not something anyone buying a BB10 device in the next 6 months needs to worry about.

2 - BB10 DOES support IMAP (IDLE) thereafter.. to each their own if they want to use it.
    01-31-13 09:03 AM
    2 things keep being stated incorrectly in this thread...

1 - Google is NOT ending support for active sync tomorrow.. they have extended the deadline for new paring until July 31st... so that's not something anyone buying a BB10 device in the next 6 months needs to worry about.
    \

Just for Windows Phone 8 users, no? I thought this extension was part of an agreement between MS and Google.

Either way, this dropping of BIS and the secrecy around it is ridiculous. I already have it built into my plan... why can't I keep using it with BB10?
    01-31-13 09:20 AM
    Right, the extension is only for Windows Phone 8. All others are being discontinued as planned.
    01-31-13 09:29 AM
    Google has stated they are moving from Active Sync and going to be using Caldav and Cardav. BB10 supports this so no worries.
    CALDav and CardDav are for Calendar and Contacts respectively, nothing to do with email, push or otherwise.
    bobauckland likes this.
    01-31-13 10:01 AM
    Pre 2008
    =======
    BBM Contacts - 54
    Hotmail - Instant or Less than 5 seconds
    Yahoo - Instant or Less than 5 seconds
    Gmail - Instant or Less than 5 seconds
    Blackberry Mail - Instant or Less than 5 seconds
    Corporate Mail A (hosted by Go Daddy) - Instant or Less than 5 seconds
    Corporate Mail B (hosted by Network Solutions) - Instant or Less than 5 seconds
    Corporate Mail C (hosted by Westhost) - Instant or Less than 5 seconds

Pre 2011
    =======
    BBM Contacts - 31
    Hotmail - 15 Minutes Polling
    Corporate Mail A (hosted by Go Daddy) - 15 Minutes Polling
    Corporate Mail B (hosted by Network Solutions) - 15 Minutes Polling
    Corporate Mail C (hosted by Westhost) - 15 Minutes Polling

31st January 2013
    ==============
    BBM Contacts - 9
    Hotmail - 15 Minutes Polling
    Corporate Mail A (hosted by Go Daddy) - 15 Minutes Polling
    Corporate Mail B (hosted by Network Solutions) - 15 Minutes Polling
    Corporate Mail C (hosted by Westhost) - 15 Minutes Polling

BTW, i'm on BIS. And all corporates say IMAP IDLE are already enabled (i don't know who's telling the truth and who's not).

All i know is i did a test with ALL the above emails (except BB Email of course) on an iPhone 5 and on an Android phone and guess what, they were all in my inbox within seconds or NO LATER THAN 1.5 MINUTES.

Too bad, so sad.
    01-31-13 10:07 AM
    Can you people not take the time and read just a little bit? It seems that 2-3 pages are dedicated to people asking the same questions over and over again, then someone reasonable comes along and gives you simple, straightforward facts about Google and EAS, then there are another 2-3 pages of the same damn questions. EAS will NO LONGER BE OFFERED BY GOOGLE. If you already have EAS set up then no worries, but future users will not be able to set this up on your BB. Carddav and caldav have nothing...NOTHING to do will gmail, so that is not an option. It's very simple people. Move to outlook, yahoo or some other mail platform that supports push in BB and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    raymond and southlander like this.
    01-31-13 10:09 AM
    Better yet, I get emails first on my PlayBook, THEN on my BB6 device.
    As you expected, if you understand how this stuff works. It's part of the reason some of us avoid IMAP like the plague.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the people who had battery life issues on their Playbooks were the same people using IMAP setups for their email (or God forbid, multiple email accounts).

Someone said they didn't know how EAS could be any better. EAS is better, period. If you don't know, then there are resources available on the internet to find out. But it's becoming tiring having to say this over and over again on this forum. We had these discussions back in the BB6/7 days when people were asking for EAS support in BBOS. I don't want to have it again.
    01-31-13 10:10 AM
    People are freaking out over this lol. Email works just fine, and at least as well as with other systems. The Email management and Email experience are what will set BB10 apart. RIM is doing this so they can offer devices on the SAME data plans as everyone else, and the plans will not be more expensive (due to the service fees they charge).
    Actually, and I could be wrong on this so take it with a grain of salt, but from what I've read, in the case of GMail and Yahoo mail, on BB10 we'll rely on IMAP and a pull of mail every 15 minutes. On iOS (at least) real time push is supported, similar to the end user experience on BB7. Presumably this is because BB7 relied on mail passing through BIS to handle the push.

So it's a gap in BB10's implementation that the team there should be able to address.
    01-31-13 10:12 AM
    I might as well get an iPhone or Android then. BlackBerry push is (was?) far superior to Active Sync or IMAP-IDLE. Not to mention it supports old IMAP accounts (without IDLE support) and POP3. Removing core functionality and saying "we're just doing what everyone else does" is not a way to win (or keep) customers.

BlackBerry cannot compete with Android or iPhone on their own terms. They don't have the apps or ecosystem to compete with the iPhone, or the raw performance and specs to compete with Android.
    Depends on your need. EAS has Security Policies and can Sync All PIM data (Calendar, Contacts, Email, Tasks, etc.) and has some other features that are simply missing from those [named] protocols you listed.

Also, BIS outages are the devil. No, they didn't happen every week but the only time I want my email to go down is when the actual email provider goes down. Not when some middleware fails to function correctly.

BIS also had that attachment limitation, which was pretty lulz on the eve of 2013. I'm surprised they kept the 6MB limitation in BBM, TBQH...
    01-31-13 10:15 AM
    Can you people not take the time and read just a little bit? It seems that 2-3 pages are dedicated to people asking the same questions over and over again, then someone reasonable comes along and gives you simple, straightforward facts about Google and EAS, then there are another 2-3 pages of the same damn questions. EAS will NO LONGER BE OFFERED BY GOOGLE. If you already have EAS set up then no worries, but future users will not be able to set this up on your BB. Carddav and caldav have nothing...NOTHING to do will gmail, so that is not an option. It's very simple people. Move to outlook, yahoo or some other mail platform that supports push in BB and you'll be fine.

CalDAV and CardDAV have a lot to do with Gmail since when people refer to Gmail, or Yahoo! or Outlook.com they usually are talking about all the basic PIM functionality and not just the email - most people don't keep all that stuff on their phone, they either use a desktop client or a web service. Sharing native Outlook calendars with users not on Exchange is a huge PITA. They're talking about Calendar and Contacts (which are access through the Gmail web interface, as a reminder) as well. EAS Pushed all of that (and can do Tasks as well), and I think the BIS Gmail and Outlook.com Plug-Ins did Calendar and Contacts for Gmail and at least one of those for Outlook.com.

In order to get back to Feature Parity, you have to use IMAP + CalDAV + CardDAV. That means, in addition to using one email protocol that uses more power, you have to use two additional connections to sync your contacts and calendar. It's just a bit of a messy solution compared to EAS, especially since EAS is faster - and monumentally faster when it comes to Synching Calendar and Contact data; the former of which is very important if you have shared Google/Outlook.com Calendars.

As for the IMAP comments, it does seem like a lot of users have missed that discussion.
    01-31-13 10:24 AM
    CalDAV and CardDAV have a lot to do with Gmail since when people refer to Gmail, or Yahoo! or Outlook.com they usually are talking about all the basic PIM functionality and not just the email - most people don't keep all that stuff on their phone, they either use a desktop client or a web service. Sharing native Outlook calendars with users not on Exchange is a huge PITA. They're talking about Calendar and Contacts (which are access through the Gmail web interface, as a reminder) as well. EAS Pushed all of that (and can do Tasks as well), and I think the BIS Gmail and Outlook.com Plug-Ins did Calendar and Contacts for Gmail and at least one of those for Outlook.com.

In order to get back to Feature Parity, you have to use IMAP + CalDAV + CardDAV. That means, in addition to using one email protocol that uses more power, you have to use two additional connections to sync your contacts and calendar. It's just a bit of a messy solution compared to EAS, especially since EAS is faster - and monumentally faster when it comes to Synching Calendar and Contact data; the former of which is very important if you have shared Google/Outlook.com Calendars.

As for the IMAP comments, it does seem like a lot of users have missed that discussion.
    I should have clarified...people keep saying calDAV and carDAV have to do with push email...they don't. They are strictly a protocol for calendar and contact sync.

01-31-13 10:28 AM
414 ... 45678 ...