Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 414
Like Tree154Likes
  1. bbvj's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    45 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #26  

    Default

    I just came across this explanation from Kevin in the CB BBZ10 review article:

    BlackBerry 10 Email
    Gmail, Windows Live Mail, Yahoo!, IMAP, POP, CalDAV, and CardDAV are all supported in BlackBerry 10 e-mail. Setup is fairly automated thanks to the connection with BlackBerry Internet Service, which does some of the heavy lifting on setup. Most of on the CrackBerry team are Gmail users (and have Google Apps accounts). When you setup Gmail through the Hub, it'll be an IMAP connection by default (so sync time is 15 minutes at its fastest). To fix that, you need to go to Setup > Accounts > Advanced Setup to kick ActiveSync into gear. That worked well and will continue to work for paid Google Apps account subscribers, but it's getting phased out for new free Gmail user accounts (which is an unfortunate Google decision).

    BlackBerry is now using ActiveSync for the transport conduct for push email. We've found overall the e-mail performance to be pretty good on ActiveSync (and two-way syncing to Gmail is definitely better than in the past on BlackBerry devices, which used a proprietary service that never worked quite right for consumers).

    Google 2-Step Authentication isn't officially supported, which I use regularly. When I set up my Gmail through the hub, it was successful (third party passwords are accepted), but then found the calendar wasn't syncing since the password didn't go through. I had to add it individually through advanced setup.
    Last edited by bbvj; 01-30-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Wanted to credit Kevin
    Blackberrys are Tools; iPhones are Toys
  2. FSeverino's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,848 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,850 Global Posts
    #27  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bbvj View Post
    I just came across this explanation from Kevin in the CB BBZ10 review article:

    BlackBerry 10 Email
    Gmail, Windows Live Mail, Yahoo!, IMAP, POP, CalDAV, and CardDAV are all supported in BlackBerry 10 e-mail. Setup is fairly automated thanks to the connection with BlackBerry Internet Service, which does some of the heavy lifting on setup. Most of on the CrackBerry team are Gmail users (and have Google Apps accounts). When you setup Gmail through the Hub, it'll be an IMAP connection by default (so sync time is 15 minutes at its fastest). To fix that, you need to go to Setup > Accounts > Advanced Setup to kick ActiveSync into gear. That worked well and will continue to work for paid Google Apps account subscribers, but it's getting phased out for new free Gmail user accounts (which is an unfortunate Google decision).

    BlackBerry is now using ActiveSync for the transport conduct for push email. We've found overall the e-mail performance to be pretty good on ActiveSync (and two-way syncing to Gmail is definitely better than in the past on BlackBerry devices, which used a proprietary service that never worked quite right for consumers).

    Google 2-Step Authentication isn't officially supported, which I use regularly. When I set up my Gmail through the hub, it was successful (third party passwords are accepted), but then found the calendar wasn't syncing since the password didn't go through. I had to add it individually through advanced setup.
    which is what i was referring to lol. thanks
    ------------------------>LIST OF WORKING Android Apps for Z10/BB10 ---200 SO FAR!!! <------------------------
    Thanked by:
    CDM76 (02-01-2013) 
  3. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar

    Posts
    9,736 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,738 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #28  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dataiv View Post
    ... and, you are mistaken. My gmail is configured with IMAP on the BB10 phone. Not exchange/activesync/whatever. IMAP with SSL over port 993. "Use push if supported" is set to on. Works just great. Push email.
    yep this works just fine IF push is supported. Gmail does through IMAP-PUSH.
    ~S_A
  4. Seijuro's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    677 Posts
    #29  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bbvj View Post
    I just came across this explanation from Kevin in the CB BBZ10 review article:

    BlackBerry 10 Email
    Gmail, Windows Live Mail, Yahoo!, IMAP, POP, CalDAV, and CardDAV are all supported in BlackBerry 10 e-mail. Setup is fairly automated thanks to the connection with BlackBerry Internet Service, which does some of the heavy lifting on setup. Most of on the CrackBerry team are Gmail users (and have Google Apps accounts). When you setup Gmail through the Hub, it'll be an IMAP connection by default (so sync time is 15 minutes at its fastest). To fix that, you need to go to Setup > Accounts > Advanced Setup to kick ActiveSync into gear. That worked well and will continue to work for paid Google Apps account subscribers, but it's getting phased out for new free Gmail user accounts (which is an unfortunate Google decision).

    BlackBerry is now using ActiveSync for the transport conduct for push email. We've found overall the e-mail performance to be pretty good on ActiveSync (and two-way syncing to Gmail is definitely better than in the past on BlackBerry devices, which used a proprietary service that never worked quite right for consumers).

    Google 2-Step Authentication isn't officially supported, which I use regularly. When I set up my Gmail through the hub, it was successful (third party passwords are accepted), but then found the calendar wasn't syncing since the password didn't go through. I had to add it individually through advanced setup.
    im sorry... but for some reason all this does is cofuse me
    the *** jonathan s. gellar said BB10 won't have push email, but instead it'll check for emails every 15minutes

    " That worked well and will continue to work for paid Google Apps account subscribers, but it's getting phased out for new free Gmail user accounts (which is an unfortunate Google decision). "
    ??

    "paid Google Apps account subscribers" ??? does that mean i need to subscribe to a premium google account to get push? im really confused
    if so, where can i subscribe o.o

    i just recently switched over to gmail, etc..
    so will i have push or will i get new emails every 15minutes?
    Clive Moughan likes this.
  5. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar

    Posts
    9,736 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,738 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #30  

    Default

    you will have push without paying for google apps. I dont pay google anything and have push just fine.
    ~S_A
    Thanked by:
    raymond (01-30-2013) 
    raymond likes this.
  6. Seijuro's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    677 Posts
    #31  

    Default

    yea, but didnt some people say that Google drops this "exchange" stuff as of february 1st and therefore push will no longer work?

    btw what does jonathan s. gellar mean with "push email, contacts or calendar" ? im really confused by this "push contacts, push calendar" stuff Oo
  7. Angelo_Campher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    444 Posts
    Global Posts
    601 Global Posts
    PIN
    To many of them
    #32  

    Default BB10 does not have push email?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seijuro View Post
    yea, but didnt some people say that Google drops this "exchange" stuff as of february 1st and therefore push will no longer work?

    btw what does jonathan s. gellar mean with "push email, contacts or calendar" ? im really confused by this "push contacts, push calendar" stuff Oo
    It will sync every 15 minutes as per Kevin's CrackBerry piece.
  8. Seijuro's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    677 Posts
    #33  

    Default

    but sith said push will work
    so who's right? : /
  9. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar

    Posts
    9,736 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,738 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #34  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hush9300 View Post
    It will sync every 15 minutes as per Kevin's CrackBerry piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seijuro View Post
    but sith said push will work
    so who's right? : /

    There is a setting in the email to use push IF supported. The device is capable of it, it is all about your email provider. I can tell you for a fact that I do not pay for anything google related, AND i get my emails as fast as I did on my 9900.
    ~S_A
    Thanked by:
    motor96 (01-30-2013) 
  10. sandmanfvr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    768 Posts
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    #35  

    Default

    Hmm, I really thought of BB10 for my update this year but I hope push email will be available for gmail. Right now there is to many yes AND no answers. GOOD point, is we in the US will wait till march and maybe issues and bugs can be patched out. I do hope push is there, because I really do live and die on email no texts.
  11. #36  

    Default

    The internet has some very, very strange minded people. I'm out.
  12. Admorris's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    668 Posts
    Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    #37  

    Default Re: BB10 does not have push email?

    Bottom line...gmail will not be available on the blackberry as a push email client as of tomorrow if you have not set up active sync by then. The only way gmail will push is if Google either develops an app for BB10, or changes their current position on exchange.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    wxmancanada and JR A like this.
  13. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar

    Posts
    9,736 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,738 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #38  

    Default

    Ok so I did some testing to show some delivery and send times. Corporate Email to personal to Corp to personal to Corp

    Corp Email sent from BB OS 7.1 device, through BES to Gmail BB10 at 2:43:57
    delivered at 2:44:53.
    Reply at 2:45:05 from BB 10 to BB OS 7.1
    delivered at 2:45:18.
    Reply at 2:45:33 from BB OS 7.1 to BB 10
    delivered at 2:46:19.

    As you can see its about a minute (and part of that im sure is signal on the BB10 device).
    ~S_A
    Thanked by 2:
    a1s2d3f4g5 (01-30-2013),  motor96 (01-30-2013) 
    Omnitech and a1s2d3f4g5 like this.
  14. Seijuro's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    677 Posts
    #39  

    Default

    yea right now it might be working, but as of february 1st it won't work anymore, if im correct
  15. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar

    Posts
    9,736 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,738 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #40  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admorris View Post
    Bottom line...gmail will not be available on the blackberry as a push email client as of tomorrow if you have not set up active sync by then. The only way gmail will push is if Google either develops an app for BB10, or changes their current position on exchange.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    The bottom line is that it is up to your mail service (whichever company people prefer). BB10 supports push. If your mail service does not, then that is your answer.
    ~S_A
  16. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar

    Posts
    9,736 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,738 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #41  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seijuro View Post
    yea right now it might be working, but as of february 1st it won't work anymore, if im correct
    New connections starting today possibly wont be able to use it. (Google announced Jan 30th). Apple users are in the same boat if they want to use native mail application.
    ~S_A
  17. Angelo_Campher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    444 Posts
    Global Posts
    601 Global Posts
    PIN
    To many of them
    #42  

    Default BB10 does not have push email?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    New connections starting today possibly wont be able to use it. (Google announced Jan 30th). Apple users are in the same boat if they want to use native mail application.
    True.
  18. #43  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    Ok so I did some testing to show some delivery and send times. Corporate Email to personal to Corp to personal to Corp

    Corp Email sent from BB OS 7.1 device, through BES to Gmail BB10 at 2:43:57
    delivered at 2:44:53.
    Reply at 2:45:05 from BB 10 to BB OS 7.1
    delivered at 2:45:18.
    Reply at 2:45:33 from BB OS 7.1 to BB 10
    delivered at 2:46:19.

    As you can see its about a minute (and part of that im sure is signal on the BB10 device).
    So, your Gmail (not Google Apps account) is set up as an IMAP account, with "enable push if supported" on a BB10 device and delivers at these speeds? Correct?

    That would seem to indicate that the Kevin and the CB team missed the "enable push" option. Because, as already stated, Kevin was very clear about the 15 minute delay for Gmail.
  19. Admorris's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    668 Posts
    Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    #44  

    Default Re: BB10 does not have push email?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    The bottom line is that it is up to your mail service (whichever company people prefer). BB10 supports push. If your mail service does not, then that is your answer.
    That's exactly what I said.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
  20. go1ndr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,390 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,395 Global Posts
    #45  

    Default

    FYI-for those of us that don't use Gmail, there are many other email programs that do push if you want them to, like "Outlook.com" for instance. Additionally, there has always been a work around to set up imap and pop3 accounts to push using a forward to a blackberry.mail address. Your pop3/imap account forwards to your blackberry alias account which pushes.
    I personally use Outlook for my emails (200 a day for business) and I have used the 10-15 minute delivery for years and find it to be just as effeciant and less annoying then push accounts are-especially with high volume. I also use a 2ndary email client--Outlook.com--which pushes automatically. It's a web-based account like Gmail but runs on the MS Outlook system profile. Very good email client. If RIM uesd this push ability on the older OSs, I"m pretty certain they will use them on this OS as well because if nothing else, the concern from users like us on this thread.
    Thanked by:
    jertell (01-30-2013) 
  21. DenverRalphy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,140 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,709 Global Posts
    PIN
    Temporarily sans BB
    #46  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admorris View Post
    Bottom line...gmail will not be available on the blackberry as a push email client as of tomorrow if you have not set up active sync by then. The only way gmail will push is if Google either develops an app for BB10, or changes their current position on exchange.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Gmail supports IMAP IDLE/PUSH. There's no need for a dedicated Gmail app. Google dropping support for Activesync is irrelevant.
    Thanked by 6:
    Bobcat665 (02-01-2013),  just_luc (01-30-2013),  motor96 (01-30-2013),  Thunderbuck (02-01-2013),  zyben (01-31-2013),  z_scorpio_z (01-30-2013) 
  22. sandmanfvr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    768 Posts
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    #47  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverRalphy View Post
    Gmail supports IMAP IDLE/PUSH. There's no need for a dedicated Gmail app. Google dropping support for Activesync is irrelevant.
    Thats what I thought, if you do imap then it works. I setup my iphone when I had it like that and the push was great vs the normal gmail setup.....
  23. chr1sny's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    340 Posts
    Global Posts
    454 Global Posts
    #48  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admorris View Post
    Bottom line...gmail will not be available on the blackberry as a push email client as of tomorrow if you have not set up active sync by then. The only way gmail will push is if Google either develops an app for BB10, or changes their current position on exchange.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Wow. That puts a major crimp in my plans to get a Q10 in two months. I'm very reliant on Gmail for email, contacts, calendar, etc. Looks like I'll be keeping my S3 until a solution is found.
    convenor likes this.
  24. mooda's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    634 Posts
    #49  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by east View Post
    Wow. That puts a major crimp in my plans to get a Q10 in two months. I'm very reliant on Gmail for email, contacts, calendar, etc. Looks like I'll be keeping my S3 until a solution is found.
    Gmail supports IMAP-PUSH theres your push email
    CalDav and CardDav for calender and Contacts problem solved
    southlander likes this.
  25. just_luc's Avatar

    Posts
    3,009 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,058 Global Posts
    PIN
    24BF22A0
    #50  

    Default

    We had a whole thread on this when google made the announcement guys.. I don't know why Kevin wrote that in his review, but it's not true. Blackberry 10 supports IMAP IDLE which has been said above.. IMAP IDLE is instant push.. YOU WILL CONTINUE TO RECEIVE INSTANT PUSH EMAIL ON ALL NEW AND EXISTING GMAIL ACCOUNTS WITH NEW AND EXISTING DEVICES. There will be NO 15 minute delay.


    RIM 950 .... Blackberry Z10 (STL100-3 on hybrid OS 10.3.0.140/misc) and everything in between
    + Playbook 32GB
    Thanked by 7:
    Clive Moughan (01-31-2013),  LazyEvul (01-30-2013),  Linda9600 (03-19-2013),  raymond (01-30-2013),  shemaree09 (01-30-2013),  zyben (01-31-2013),  z_scorpio_z (01-30-2013) 
    raymond and LazyEvul like this.
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-01-2009, 12:13 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-09-2008, 12:29 AM
  3. Not receiving Push Email from Gmail
    By paulrosenthal in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2008, 09:54 AM
  4. Notification tone does not sound for emails
    By redshift in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xx
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2007, 10:09 AM
  5. My Precious 8320 Does Not Have Mms!!!
    By edwardaalonzo in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xx
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-08-2007, 01:35 PM

Posting Permissions