That's exactly what I don't want.

I need to be able to delete emails from my phone without them being deleted from the server so they're available for Outlook to download later.
    Exactly our feelings. We also use MS Outlook and have it on all of our pc's/laptops and phones. We need to be able to delete from any one of the devices but NOT have it deleted from the server so they are still available on all the other devices i.e. I get an email on my phone while out of the office that I can deal with when I get back to the office but have no need for on my phone once I read it-so I delete it from the phone but it remains on my server for access from other devices until no longer needed. Once it is no longer needed, we delete the message from the server and it's gone everywhere. I know exactly where you are coming from ssbtech.
    Last edited by go1ndr; 02-01-13 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Typos
    southlander likes this.
    02-01-13 01:59 PM
    This might sound like an odd question, but why do you want to delete just off your phone? What's the functional benefit of that? Could you duplicate this functionality to have a folder for "later review" that you could move stuff into so that the message isn't in your inbox anymore, but you still have it?
    I use it for SPAM sometimes to add it to the Filter later on my Desktop PC.
    02-01-13 02:00 PM
    Need my stuff everywhere - MY OPTION: Setup a Hosted Exchange Email account. $4 - $15 month. Full sync, your email, contacts, and calendar are securely backed up.
    This is nuts. Personal Gmail + Android: mail, contacts, calendars, google docs, files, photos, (chrome) bookmarks everywhere. Instant sync. Absolutely free. Device switch between two Androids: everything is synched, including all apps, no desktop connection needed.

Not only Android has caught up with BlackBerry, with this supposedly latest and greatest OS, BlackBerry now is a huge step backward in the most important areas: email/calendar/contacts and cloud sync.
    02-01-13 02:14 PM
    So, a couple of points on this...

Gmail pushes, okay? You set the Gmail account in the Accounts tab in Settings (and if you use 2-factor authentication, do yourself a favor and find out how to obtain an "application-specific" password--it's criminal how deep Google has hidden this). It all works just fine.
    02-01-13 03:13 PM

Gmail pushes, okay? You set the Gmail account in the Accounts tab in Settings (and if you use 2-factor authentication, do yourself a favor and find out how to obtain an "application-specific" password--it's criminal how deep Google has hidden this). It all works just fine.
    Thanks!! Just the concise answer I was looking for in the sea of confusion.

I think BGR (among with other review sites) have really done some damage to BB10 by not fully explaining what they're discussing, or reporting misleading information. Disappointing.
    02-01-13 03:39 PM
    I know what the BIS logo means on BBOS 7 and older. It means you're connected to the RIM NOC servers for everything. Not just for BBM over wi-fi.

I'm asking what is the significance of the logo people are getting on their Z10s, even though their plan does not include BIS anymore?

And are there any additional benefits if you do keep BIS on your plan?
    One big benefit (aside from making a BlackBerry a BlackBerry) is that I had a number of filters set up on my carrier's BIS portal to screen out a lot of crap I didn't want delivered to my handset. It's all those little things that kept me with BlackBerry through thick and thin.
    02-01-13 03:46 PM

Gmail pushes right-now; but isn't the big news that they are discontinuing support for Activesync, and will only be available via POP3 and IMAP on non android devices in the near future?
    02-01-13 04:09 PM
    double-post
    02-01-13 04:09 PM
    This is nuts. Personal Gmail + Android: mail, contacts, calendars, google docs, files, photos, (chrome) bookmarks everywhere. Instant sync. Absolutely free. Device switch between two Androids: everything is synched, including all apps, no desktop connection needed.
    This is a thread on using BB10, not Android. Plus, your statement assumes I want to use the Gmail client for my desktop email management. If you use Outlook (office) as your primary email client, syncing email + calendar + contacts is not that smooth with personal Gmail. That is where Exchange shines. Pay $4 and get the best of all worlds with no advertising of 3rd parties reading your emails (presumably). IMHO...
    go1ndr likes this.
    02-01-13 04:12 PM
    The post was about what choices user has now with BB10, to get email/contacts/calendars/bookmarks/documents synchronized across all devices.
    Not mission critical - Use GMAIL or Outlook.com. Both push and sync well, but Gmail may be losing this option for the freebies. Privacy concerns.
    Email is important - Setup a hosted email account, like Rackspace Email or similar. For $3/month you get Mobile Sync, but your contacts will not sync with your PC w/o a 3rd party tool . Some ISP's may offer some level of sync, as well.
    Need my stuff everywhere - MY OPTION: Setup a Hosted Exchange Email account. $4 - $15 month. Full sync, your email, contacts, and calendar are securely backed up.
    This is such a basic stuff it's ridiculous I have to pay anything at all to get email/calendars/contacts/bookmarks/documents synched everywhere. But it looks like BB10 can't do it?
    02-01-13 05:10 PM
    Gmail pushes right-now; but isn't the big news that they are discontinuing support for Activesync, and will only be available via POP3 and IMAP on non android devices in the near future?
    It pushes through IMAP. On BB10.
    02-01-13 05:15 PM

Active Sync is not real push eMail as i understand. Active Sync drain more Battery and you have got a continuous connection(more data?) to Gmail. And the eMail Provider need to support that, or you need to forward the eMails another eMail Provider.

Old BIS was Push eMail. The BB Servers sync the eMail with Gmail and if there comes a new one it pushes instant to your BB!
    02-01-13 05:29 PM
    So will my blackberry.net email address still be available through POP or IMAP or is that account dead upon upgrade?
    02-01-13 06:06 PM
    So will my blackberry.net email address still be available through POP or IMAP or is that account dead upon upgrade?
    The latter.
    02-01-13 06:09 PM
    I've been speed testing the 'push' capabilities of all my email accounts all day (Gmail, Yahoo! and Hotmail) on the Z10, and the clear winner was Hotmail... by a mile!

Yahoo! didn't push at all, it was pulled, and only every 15 minutes which is the shortest sync interval setting.
    Gmail wasn't much better, and I'm not convinced that pushed either.
    Hotmail was the only account that was actually pushed, and there wasn't even a sync interval setting while setting it up. It was push only, and it's very quick.

Needless to say, all my accounts are now being pulled into my Hotmail inbox and pushed to my phone.
    jakie55 likes this.
    02-01-13 06:23 PM
    This might sound like an odd question, but why do you want to delete just off your phone? What's the functional benefit of that? Could you duplicate this functionality to have a folder for "later review" that you could move stuff into so that the message isn't in your inbox anymore, but you still have it?
    I have multiple "@shaw.ca" email addresses I use for various things. All 5 are checked by Outlook but only three go to my phone because there's simply stuff I don't need on my phone.

I am on my condo's council and receive many emails from various council members. It's nice to see this on my phone, but I don't want to reply using my phone. It's all checked by Outlook on my PC, sorted into the various folders depending on who it's from and I respond from there. I review my emails quickly on my phone then delete them so I know what's waiting for me when I get home. This way my phone isn't cluttered up with emails I don't need "in my pocket" and accidentally deleting something from the phone doesn't erase them from the mail server.

Another example are all the thread reply notifications I get from various forums - nice to check them quickly, but I don't need or want to keep them on my phone. They end up in my inbox at home, sorted by which forum they were sent by and I can go through and read updates later on.
    02-01-13 06:36 PM
    One big benefit (aside from making a BlackBerry a BlackBerry) is that I had a number of filters set up on my carrier's BIS portal to screen out a lot of crap I didn't want delivered to my handset. It's all those little things that kept me with BlackBerry through thick and thin.
    Heh, can't believe I forgot about that. That's why I never get junk email on my phone. My ISP is pretty good at tagging everything with "Shaw suspected junk email" and I simply filter this out on my carrier's BIS portal.
    02-01-13 06:39 PM
    One more issue - polling for POP mail would also download any attachments automatically. At least on BIS I had the option to download the attachment if I wanted/needed to, and if not I wasn't wasting data.
    Berrywannabe likes this.
    02-01-13 06:46 PM
    Needless to say, all my accounts are now being pulled into my Hotmail inbox and pushed to my phone.
    Phil, Can you reply on your phone with the "From" address being your original accounts, or do they get replied to as your Hotmail account?
    02-01-13 07:29 PM
    Perfectly aware, and I hate it. It's a "sync" not a proper push. Delete one thing and it's gone for good. There's no leaving a copy on the server.
    then don't delete and only sync 1 day. your inbox will clear on its own daily.
    02-01-13 08:54 PM
    then don't delete and only sync 1 day. your inbox will clear on its own daily.
    That's not the way I want it to work.

POP3, BIS. That's what I want. Since it's no offered on BB10, I don't care about BB10. Hopefully it works out well for RIM, but I'll stick with my 9800. It may be "old junk" but it works exactly how I want it to.
    02-01-13 09:13 PM
    It may be "old junk" but it works exactly how I want it to.
    ... Until BlackBerry/carriers turn off their BIS servers ... Trust me, I know it's tough to teach an old dog new tricks, but it is worth it.
    02-01-13 10:01 PM
    Whatever. If/when that happens I'll re-activate my old Sanyo..

BB10 does not have push email?-sanyo_scp-7500.jpg

That's how little value a non-BIS phone has to me now.
    02-01-13 10:17 PM
    You are cracking me up. Off Topic: Do you print out MapQuest maps before driving on a trip, or use GPS? Do you use a wired mouse with your computer, or wireless? Do you tell people you have a DSL connection or do you refer to it as a broadband connection?

I'm just busting your cacahuetes!

BB10 does have push email.
    02-01-13 10:30 PM
    You are cracking me up. Off Topic: Do you print out MapQuest maps before driving on a trip, or use GPS?
    Actually I use Google Maps on my BlackBerry. Street View comes in handy toom but BB10 owners wouldn't know that

BB10 does have push email.
    Nope, not push POP.
    02-02-13 02:09 AM
414 ... 89101112 ...