**Quick lesson for the uniformed: With POP, you download your email from a mail server and store local COPIES. You can leave a copy on the server, or pull them off in their entirety. With IMAP and Exchange, you are reading the messages that are stored on a mail server. If you delete a message from any device, it is removed from the server. Same goes for marking them as read or filing them away.**

To answer the initial thread question: BB10 does have push email depending on your email provider. For most, you will be fine. Is it different than the current BIS implementation? YES.

Hopefully my synopsis of my experience will help some choice a new way to manage email and see how BB10 fits in:
    I used to use POP until I got a smart phone 6 or so years ago. I initially did not mind managing copies of my emails being sent to my phone and 2 PC's. BIS was nice on my Curve as it pushed emails to my phone quickly.
    However, I got tired of getting emails on my phone, reading the, deleting them, then seeing them again on my home and work PC's as new, unread messages. This is counter intuitive and redundant. I switched to an IMAP option. This was great as I only dealt with emails once, even though Outlook is clunky with IMAP. The problem is, after I enjoyed that level of sync, I wanted my calendars and contacts synced across my computers and phone. I used a 3rd party sync tool for this, but it was a PITA to manage. Next up: Exchange! To me, Exchange is the best, albeit not a free option. But now I have emails, calendar, and contacts in sync. This is currently my best option. Plus, I believe in paying a company to host my email that specializes in email hosting. Google and Microsofts email services are nice alternatives, but free is free. If they go down, tough luck.

I can recommend the following for sync with your Berry:
    1. Not mission critical - Use GMAIL or Outlook.com. Both push and sync well, but Gmail may be losing this option for the freebies. Privacy concerns.
    2. Email is important - Setup a hosted email account, like Rackspace Email or similar. For $3/month you get Mobile Sync, but your contacts will not sync with your PC w/o a 3rd party tool . Some ISP's may offer some level of sync, as well.
    3. Need my stuff everywhere - MY OPTION: Setup a Hosted Exchange Email account. $4 - $15 month. Full sync, your email, contacts, and calendar are securely backed up.
    raymond likes this.
    01-31-13 11:21 PM
    I'm in the same boat. I've been using 4 email accounts through my ISP for the last 12 years. Having BIS check the mailbox and push out new messages to my phone was perfect. I could do whatever I wanted with them on my phone and they'd still be on the server for me to check when I got back home. I don't like having dozens of emails on my phone - I read and delete them knowing I can reply to them and archive them at a later time.

My ISP (Shaw) now offers "Webmail 2.0" that's supposed to be nice and friendly with mobile devices. They actually let you set the email client up to use the webmail address (wm.shaw.ca) so you don't have to use a web browser to check for messages. Doesn't make much sense to me to use an email client to check a webmail service but anyhow...
    You are aware that "Webmail 2.0" is Shaw's exchange activesync support right? There's your push.
    02-01-13 05:07 AM
    What really annoys me about this whole topic is that no one from Blackberry has bothered to clear up this issue. All it would take is a press release or someone contacting one of the Crackberry detailing exactly how the Z10 works with the popular email providers and different protocols, explaining any changes to the end user experience for someone switching from a legacy phone to bb10 in terms of emails.

It'd be a final authoritative statement on the matter taking out all of the guess work...
    Berrywannabe and Admorris like this.
    02-01-13 05:32 AM
    Question. I have multiple old Gmail accounts, some if whom don't have imap turned on only POP. Do I have to log into these accounts on my PC and activate imap first?
    02-01-13 05:50 AM
    I'm not setting up 6 Outlook.com accounts.
    Outlook.com supports true Aliases, so you can have 3 separate email addresses on one account. So if you need 6 Addresses, just need 2 accounts.

And what is wrong with filtering your email? It's not that hard...
    southlander likes this.
    02-01-13 11:05 AM
    You are aware that "Webmail 2.0" is Shaw's exchange activesync support right? There's your push.
    Perfectly aware, and I hate it. It's a "sync" not a proper push. Delete one thing and it's gone for good. There's no leaving a copy on the server.
    02-01-13 12:09 PM
    Anyway, between the loss of BIS and the inability to sync contacts and calendar with Outlook via the Desktop Software (BlackBerry Link) I'll stick with my 9800 or look for a used 9810 since Bell discontinued it.
    02-01-13 12:12 PM
    My playbook receives gmail messages usually the exact same second as my nexus s...every time.
    02-01-13 12:15 PM
    they were talking about outlook .com

It is a nice option for those of us that like using the outlook client to manage our mail contacts and calenders.

and yea outlook was down due to maintenance nothing that hasn't happened to thousands of other companies
    02-01-13 12:16 PM
    But, we are still unclear about whether BIS is actually gone. Why do people still get the 4-dot BIS symbol on their screens? What if you still have a BIS enabled data plan? If you still have BIS, will it handle the pop3 accounts instead and do all the polling and push to the phones?

If the phone is doing the polling, does it poll more frequently after an email (2 or 3 minutes), and then drop back to 15 minutes if nothing is there the way BIS normally does it?

Why won't BlackBerry tell us for sure, or someone at Crackberry at least find out what the deal is?
    02-01-13 12:25 PM
    My playbook receives gmail messages usually the exact same second as my nexus s...every time.
    Yep, mine gets it instantly too. It's not the time delay I'm worried about.

they were talking about outlook .com
    It is a nice option for those of us that like using the outlook client to manage our mail contacts and calenders.
    and yea outlook was down due to maintenance nothing that hasn't happened to thousands of other companies
    I don't like to keep anything in the cloud, so Outlook.com is out for me.

It's becoming more and more clear that BIS worked perfectly well with POP3 email accounts, and without it we're stuck with a plethora of confusing, half-baked and poorly functioning alternatives.
    02-01-13 12:28 PM
    Not for long.

So what happens to the [email protected] email addresses that currently push instantly to our Blackberry handsets? Do these addresses go dead when (if) we upgrade from a 9900 or other handset to a new BB10 handset?
    CrownIsle likes this.
    02-01-13 12:43 PM
    But, we are still unclear about whether BIS is actually gone. Why do people still get the 4-dot BIS symbol on their screens? What if you still have a BIS enabled data plan? If you still have BIS, will it handle the pop3 accounts instead and do all the polling and push to the phones?

If the phone is doing the polling, does it poll more frequently after an email (2 or 3 minutes), and then drop back to 15 minutes if nothing is there the way BIS normally does it?

Why won't BlackBerry tell us for sure, or someone at Crackberry at least find out what the deal is?
    This is business. They cancel BIS for BB10 to be more cost efficient. They cant tell this the consumer, because this was the main-reason for the old BB addicts. The Core from BlackBerry. What should they said to you? From now on: We are BlackBerry...aka Android...aka iOS..
    The Mainstream doesnt care about real push, or pull, security...Data compress...PlayBook bridging...etc...

Sorry for being little bit excessive. I dont know more then you at the Moment. This is maybe what a lot of old BB Fans think. If its true we will never read a Statement from BB, or Kevin..etc..Because this is their Money. Only sentences like: BB10 has push.
    eninrebmun and parabola like this.
    02-01-13 12:55 PM
    Not for long.

So what happens to the [email protected] email addresses that currently push instantly to our Blackberry handsets? Do these addresses go dead when (if) we upgrade from a 9900 or other handset to a new BB10 handset?
    For crying outloud. The persons email on their pb has nothing to do with push from bb servers or the ancient @blackberry account because the wifi pb has nothing to do with those services.
    02-01-13 01:00 PM

Those 4 DOTS aka BB symbol means you are connected to BBM via Wifi and you can send messages / voice chat / video through wifi. Atleast that's the case with my past 2 BB's where i can use BBM over WiFi.
    02-01-13 01:06 PM
    Outlook is an email client. Are you talking about Outlook.com? The Outlook.com that was down this morning?
    The same outlook.com I've been receiving emails from all morning and day.
    02-01-13 01:08 PM
    Anyway, between the loss of BIS and the inability to sync contacts and calendar with Outlook via the Desktop Software (BlackBerry Link) I'll stick with my 9800 or look for a used 9810 since Bell discontinued it.
    ssbtech: are you sure that you won't be able to sync Outlook calendar and contacts with BB10? I can't imagine that being the case since most businesses run on MS Outlook, whether exchange or just Outlook like we do. One advantage of BB has always been the easy syncing of Outlook with your phone and vise-versa. That would be a complete deal breaker for me and my company. 9810 is looking better and better every day.

RE: Outlook.com--great 3rd party email service but setting up a calendar or contacts and syncing them is a real issue. I use Outlook.com as a back up email service in case my servers go down, and installed it on my Kindle Fire as well as my phone. Trying to sync contacts and calendar from MS Outlook -our email client and the 2ndary email service-outlook.com was impossible. I had to create csv files and them move them to another format and then to a native calendar on Kindle, and the caledar was impossible. Ended up having to open a Google account to get the Google calendar and put it on the Kindle Fire and then set up the Google calendar on my PC to sync with the Outlook calendar which in turn put it on the Kindle Fire--a huge undertaking. I wouldn't use outlook.com for anything other than a secondary email account in case your main account goes down. Business runs on MS Office/Outlook and I'm thankful for it--but very bummed if Outlook indeed won't sync with the BB10.

Lastly, unlike many, we use and love our POP3 email setup on MS Outlook. Works flawlessly and we need to have the emails everywhere (PC, Laptops, Phones) as we need access to them for business wherever we are. Can you confirm that the sync won't work for caledar and contacts?
    02-01-13 01:20 PM
    I did nothing special when setting up my outlook.com account on my pb native email. I make a change on my pb and it's there on my computer and vise versa
    02-01-13 01:28 PM
    I'm sorry but I'm very confused. Not very in-the-know when it comes to mobile tech. I currently have an older BB 9700 operating on 5(!). It's pushing my Gmail account fine as of today.

BB10 will not have push for Gmail without a workaround? Is that the consensus?

Only the BGR review mentioned this, which I thought strange as no one else seemed to. Trying to get a final word but getting lost in the conversation between IMAP, POP3, Outlook.com, ActiveSync, EAS...
    02-01-13 01:32 PM
    I did nothing special when setting up my outlook.com account on my pb native email. I make a change on my pb and it's there on my computer and vise versa
    That's exactly what I don't want.

I need to be able to delete emails from my phone without them being deleted from the server so they're available for Outlook to download later.
    02-01-13 01:37 PM
    Blackberry really needs to put out comprehensive information on this. They cannot drop a core feature of a phone without explaining its replacement.
    They really need a better communication effort. I'm OK because I (thankfully) never used my blackberry.net address nor linked it to my BBID, but others have. This shoudl be explained better. Badly done, thus far.
    Thunderbuck and eninrebmun like this.
    02-01-13 01:39 PM
    Those 4 DOTS aka BB symbol means you are connected to BBM via Wifi and you can send messages / voice chat / video through wifi. Atleast that's the case with my past 2 BB's where i can use BBM over WiFi.
    I know what the BIS logo means on BBOS 7 and older. It means you're connected to the RIM NOC servers for everything. Not just for BBM over wi-fi.

I'm asking what is the significance of the logo people are getting on their Z10s, even though their plan does not include BIS anymore?

And are there any additional benefits if you do keep BIS on your plan?
    02-01-13 01:49 PM
    That's exactly what I don't want.

I need to be able to delete emails from my phone without them being deleted from the server so they're available for Outlook to download later.
    This might sound like an odd question, but why do you want to delete just off your phone? What's the functional benefit of that? Could you duplicate this functionality to have a folder for "later review" that you could move stuff into so that the message isn't in your inbox anymore, but you still have it?
    02-01-13 01:54 PM
    For crying outloud. The persons email on their pb has nothing to do with push from bb servers or the ancient @blackberry account because the wifi pb has nothing to do with those services.
    I realize that, but if you're using Gmail on your Playbook you probably are using Activesync; for which Google is discontinuing service in the very near future. POP3 or Imap only after that.
    02-01-13 01:58 PM
    I know what the BIS logo means on BBOS 7 and older. It means you're connected to the RIM NOC servers for everything. Not just for BBM over wi-fi.

I'm asking what is the significance of the logo people are getting on their Z10s, even though their plan does not include BIS anymore?

And are there any additional benefits if you do keep BIS on your plan?
    Yes i know its more than BBM i was just giving an example. The logo means that u r connected to the BB services, specially BBM.
    Read this from a BB Z10 owner.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-email-766363/

My guess is that because there is no BIS on BB10 and unlike earlier BB's there is no small or capital EDGE on the BAR, the BB dots lets you know you are connected to BB services.
    02-01-13 01:59 PM
414 ... 7891011 ...