At the keynote this morning it seemed as if BlackBerry is going towards more of one device model similar to Apple. Could this be true? Or are they going to release other BB10 devices. The one showcased this morning was a complete touch device. While that is great, ditching the physical keypad would be a terrible move. I want a Bold 9900 but am going to wait for BB10 to get the most out of my money. I was hoping for a physical keypad but want a high end BlackBerry not a Curve.
    05-01-12 07:07 PM
    First Device is all Touch followed a few months later by Keyboard devices.
    05-01-12 07:12 PM
    Pyshical BB10's will be lauching sortly after the first BB10 touch device(s).
    Will be waiting out for BB10 phsycal keyboard device!
    05-01-12 07:17 PM
    Okay. Going to wait for the physical keyboard BB10 device. Don't get me wrong; I think that RIM has made an excellent touch screen keyboard, but I just can't see a BlackBerry being a BlackBerry without a physical keyboard. My iPhone 4 can hold me off until one of the new devices come out
    05-01-12 07:29 PM
    Yes, the new touch screen keyboard looks nice but i think the physical keyboard is more important to have. RIM should come out with the physical first then a few months later with the touch, not the other way around. I mean... isn't this what they are known for? I even saw the Bold ad on tv promoting the physical keyboard. I don't get it.
    the_kid_hartford likes this.
    05-01-12 08:44 PM
    Gotta remember, what was shown at BBW is not a real device, it's a developer model and will never be available to the general public. Don't let it fool you. They've already said the first device will be fully touch and then a physical keyboard device will follow about 3 months later.
    05-01-12 08:49 PM
    True, but even so the QWERTY keyboard device should have been first no question. That would have been a smarter move for RIM IMO.
    05-01-12 09:02 PM
    RIM confirmed today that there will be BB10 devices with physical keyboards
    the_kid_hartford likes this.
    05-01-12 09:07 PM
    That's good. Hopefully RIM doesn't rush this update. I mean RIM has a tendency to rush things. Didn't the original PlayBook with first OS seem a little rushed? They needed a device to compete with other tablets but decided to get it out ASAP so they could start making money. Anyways, I hope they hit it off with BB10 and don't screw this up. This could be there chance to start really taking on iOS and Android smartphones.
    05-01-12 09:13 PM
    They should have 2 devices: all touch and vertical slider w/ keyboard. I love my 9900 but I didn't mind the Torch slider. If it means sacrificing the BB10 experience, I don't mind ditching the 9900 for a slider w/ keyboard. But they should never go full touch, and they had better not release like 40 different devices. Apple model (one core device) works, just gotta stick to it.
    05-01-12 09:15 PM
    I agree but would change a few things. First of all I think that they need a lower end device (AKA Curve). Thats for kids and teens that want a cheap phone on which they can BBM their friends with. The all touch device is a go because there are SOME users who prefer that over QWERTY keyboard. And then something like the Bold. That's all they need. I can see them ditching the Curve series in the future though. Personally I dislike the sliding form factor. The keyboard isn't as good. They need another solid keyboard like the Bold 9900. If they ditched the Bold for the sliding form factor device it would be a downgrade for many users because so many people absolutely love the Bold's keyboard. I've tried out many phone on showcase at Rogers stores and what not. I must say the Bold 9900 has the best keyboard on any cell phone ever created. The torch 9810's keyboard isn't the best.
    05-01-12 09:22 PM
    Like it or lump it, today, the largest market segment is all touch. RIM has to cater to that. Accept it and overcome. The physical keys are coming. Accept that RIM is prioritising as it should. Accept it. That is all.
    05-01-12 09:40 PM
    Fair enough. I just think that RIM kind of seems to make better physical keyboards than touch screen ones. BB10 may change that, but I'd need to get one in my hands to see if it's a good keyboard.
    05-01-12 09:43 PM
    After seeing the BB World post about the BB10 touch keyboard with word shortcuts, I think I could be weaned off a physical keyboard.
    05-01-12 10:57 PM
    RIM is not ditching the physical keyboard. I think one of RIM's people at BBW has confirmed this at BBW.
    05-01-12 11:02 PM
    The playbook has changed my mind on touchscreen keyboards. the BB10 phone looks to have done it even better. I will be getting the first bb10 phone for sure. And besides my 9800 is really old now haha
    05-01-12 11:02 PM
    It's not just about the actual text input for me. It's about the keyboard shortcuts as well. I'll probably be waiting for the QWERTY.
    05-02-12 02:36 AM
    Not to get metaphysical, but:

What is a BlackBerry?

If there is an entirely new OS and the physical keyboard is relegated to the status of an afterthought released on a later model, well . . .

. . . in the immortal words of Admiral James Stockdale, "Why am I here?"
    05-02-12 08:22 AM
    Think about this... most people who carry a blackberry do so because of several aspects, including a physical keyboard. When RIM launches the touch screen device, they will not sell well. Maybe Crackberry fans will, but those hard core BB fans will want a keyboard, the ramifications of this is that the market will label the BB10 touch screen phone as a failure because of the lack of sales. Just a prediction judging by the responses to the phone on Crackberry.
    05-02-12 08:41 AM
    Like it or lump it, today, the largest market segment is all touch. RIM has to cater to that. Accept it and overcome. The physical keys are coming. Accept that RIM is prioritising as it should. Accept it. That is all.
    I really don't know why people feel compelled to keep bringing this up. We know the majority of smart phone users prefer full touch screens. It's a moot point as far as BB10 is concerned, because we already know that the first BB10 phone is going to be all touch. But that doesn't mean I have to accept it. Yes RIM has to cater to that crowd, and they are, but that doesn't have to be exclusive at the risk of dissing those of us who still want a keyboard. RIM knows this as well, and will be providing QWERTY devices soon after for those of us who require them.

Get it? A lot of us don't care what the rest of the market wants. We want what we want.
    zelliott7234 likes this.
    05-02-12 09:13 AM
    I'll wait for the physical keyboard device to release before I upgrade in three years, or four, once I get to test it out in store. Until then, I'll stick to my 9900.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com using Tapatalk
    05-03-12 02:04 AM
    UGH! Seeing these recurring threads and posts asking if RIM is ditching physical keyboards forever sometimes makes me want to punch someone in the face! OF COURSE THERE ARE GOING TO BE BB10 DEVICES WITH PHYSICAL KEYBOARDS... DOWN THE LINE! BECAUSE OF MARKET CONDITIONS, HOWEVER, A FULL TOUCHSCREEN DEVICE **MUST** BE RELEASED FIRST! END OF DISCUSSION!

Soooooo... RIM isn't going to release a KB device first? WAH!!! Too bad for the crybabies!!!

Just because the first ever BB10 device is going to sport a full touchscreen doesn't mean that the prospects of future keyboard devices ever being produced ever again are now eternally doomed. X does not necessarily equal Y. Geez. Slippery slope much? ...
    Last edited by Bobcat665; 05-03-12 at 02:54 AM.
    05-03-12 02:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD