Is BlackBerry 10 dead?

* No update to the road map for seven months. Seven months with no road map means that it will be at least a year or more before anything new for the OS. That is not a good sign if you want the OS to move forward.

https://developer.blackberry.com/nat...loads/roadmap/

* The recent announcement of the layoffs at TAT and the new announcements about cuts to staff making the hardware, software (BB10 OS) and applications (Native apps) for the smartphones.

The Waterloo, Ont.-based company said the job cuts will affect people who made the hardware, software and applications for its phones, which include devices like the BlackBerry Bold, Classic and Passport.
    BlackBerry lays off unspecified number of employees globally - Business - CBC News

* Most developer webcasts/blogs are about Android and not BB10/Native Apps.

BlackBerry created an amazing OS and developer tools and are now looking to let it go the way of the dodo and let is die a slow death. I have reached out to BlackBerry and all I hear is crickets about commitments to Native app developers.

Any thoughts?
    05-25-15 06:58 AM
    Yeah, the signs are not good ...
    andy957 likes this.
    05-25-15 07:02 AM
    They also have 80 something new jobs posted worldwide. It's a company going through change.

RedBerry Passport / 10.3.2.680 / Telus
    05-25-15 07:04 AM
    They also have 80 something new jobs posted worldwide. It's a company going through change.

The problem is what the future of BB10 is - and the prospects don't seem too bright, unfortunately. I hope they didn't made a final decision about it and BB10 development is only "on pause"
    05-25-15 07:09 AM

I look at the jobs, none would be involved in OS development or BB10 native applications.
    ThunderShock2005 likes this.
    05-25-15 07:25 AM
    Yeah, the signs are not good ...
    Yep and I'm ready for all possibility

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.680
    05-25-15 07:33 AM
    BB11 is coming!!! No wonder BB10 is dead...

Posted via CB10
    rallen562 and BerryRipe like this.
    05-25-15 07:40 AM
    Is speculation beneficial?
    05-25-15 07:57 AM
    Is it "dead"? No, it is the best mobile OS out there today. Is it suffering from the lack of vision of a former software company CEO out of his element?

Yes.

At the risk of being at odds with the Chen worship around here I think you could CEO by committee this ship better with an experienced amazon online phone salesman, a Telus regional manager, someone who worked at an investment bank, and a dart throwing monkey.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 08:06 AM
    Is speculation beneficial?
    It isn't really speculation when BlackBerry themselves is totally quiet and ignores the questions when asked. The road map has existed on developer tools since before BB10 was released. Now that road map is a dead end. TBD isn't a road map. All you have to do is look at the signs and know that BlackBerry isn't saying a thing about the future of BB10 and all the focus in the developer website is becoming Android based with little focus on BB10.
    Austerman likes this.
    05-25-15 08:22 AM
    BB11 is coming!!! No wonder BB10 is dead...

Posted via CB10
    BB11 would be on the road map.
    05-25-15 08:22 AM
    I don't think, with frequent beta updates. They seem to be working on a larger scheme.

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    05-25-15 08:23 AM
    At the risk of being at odds with the Chen worship around here I think you could CEO by committee this ship better with an experienced amazon online phone salesman, a Telus regional manager, someone who worked at an investment bank, and a dart throwing monkey.

Posted via CB10
    For realz

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 08:55 AM
    BB11 would be on the road map.
    They may simply be playing close to the vest. Just because they haven't made the road map public, does not necessarily mean anything.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    05-25-15 09:07 AM
    The big road block for BB10/BB11 is needing Google Playstore accessibility in order to compete. The Android developer support is focused on how to design an application in Android which works well in a BB10 sandbox and on a device with other than a 16:9 display.

The current path for BB10 has been towards becoming a 'better Android' but the required next step is Google support. With it they can start marketing it as a 'secure Android' OS with 'native apps' limited to core OS utilities and let's face it the developers of those type apps aren't the ones who need developer support as they often know the OS better than those speaking at developer conferences.

I can see them not releasing a Road Map until they have agreement with Google knowing that without that agreement yes, sadly, BB10 is likely dead.

Posted via CB10
    eduzojordan and mighthor like this.
    05-25-15 09:50 AM
    Your missing a few things as well... Bbry has slowly shutdown a lot of developer services
    - BlackBerry Ad Service (no replacement in their sdk docs)
    - BlackBerry Scoreloop (no replacement)
    - Adobe AIR support (saving on licensing)
    - No more BlackBerry Development Rewards (no replacement)

They also stopped QT5 update development for Cascades, stopped updating the roadmap as you said, and have been encouraging developers to start building for Amazon.

More noticeably they have stopped providing twitter support to developers a long time ago and their support forums are no longer answering developer questions.

Based on my last month of interactions with the BFB program - they also have cut the BFB program down to one or two people.

And all of that has happened over the last 6 months

Moreover I've seen a steady decline in my app sales on bbry, down to 1/3 of their sales just 6 months ago. And I've never pumped out games and apps faster. How much if that is less users versus competing with Amazon apps versus BBRY always showcasing my competitors... I don't know.

But yes I see signs, but nothing yet definitive.

Posted to CB via my Passport | FileArchiveHaven
    05-25-15 10:00 AM
    All departments run independently now. The devices need to make money and I think this is the plan to make it happen.

BB10 OS is running more or less great at the moment. Only tweaking left, here and there, to do. No need for huge teams anymore.
    I could run BB10 OS as it is now for at least a year or two. Think about all the other OS's out there. The best that can be done
    is a facelift. The OS more or less stays the same. If you in denial look at 10.3.2, no big change from 10.3.1.

Now look at the devices. Foxconn is taking over here. Think why the Leap is introduced, instead of just carrying on with manufacturing
    the Z30. Once again BB is getting rid of the Zeds and Q's teams. They know what is needed and don't need huge R&D teams anymore. Manufacturing devices is outsourced now.

It's the same as building a house. Once the main structure is built you don't keep the whole construction crew on site while you do the
    finishings.
    05-25-15 10:20 AM
    All departments run independently now. The devices need to make money and I think this is the plan to make it happen.

BB10 OS is running more or less great at the moment. Only tweaking left, here and there, to do. No need for huge teams anymore.
    I could run BB10 OS as it is now for at least a year or two. Think about all the other OS's out there. The best that can be done
    is a facelift. The OS more or less stays the same. If you in denial look at 10.3.2, no big change from 10.3.1.

Now look at the devices. Foxconn is taking over here. Think why the Leap is introduced, instead of just carrying on with manufacturing
    the Z30. Once again BB is getting rid of the Zeds and Q's teams. They know what is needed and don't need huge R&D teams anymore. Manufacturing devices is outsourced now.

It's the same as building a house. Once the main structure is built you don't keep the whole construction crew on site while you do the
    finishings.
    If your not moving forward in the tech world then you are falling behind. You have to be in a constant state of development. They are getting ready to close shop on bb10 get your heads out of the sand.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 11:02 AM
    Is BlackBerry 10 dead?
    Nope. I just checked mine, and it's still alive. Sorry for your loss.
    05-25-15 11:29 AM
    As BB has abandoned the consumer market.. it makes sense for them to drop devs that cater to the consumer and slow down OS development. Chen has already said emphasis will be on business apps... hence the in house hires for business apps.... Seems odd that since BB has said over it may one day revisit the consumer market maybe BB10 for us stragglers may get the attention it deserves... at this point however any updates will be with the business user in mind.... sad but true... but BB as we knew is dead and it is time to mourn the old BB ( consumer ) and move on... and accept our fate....
    05-25-15 12:08 PM
    I don't think, with frequent beta updates. They seem to be working on a larger scheme.

Posted via CB10
    They are not doing anymore updates with new features. The current beta is bug fixes only.
    Blacklatino and MarsupilamiX like this.
    05-25-15 12:13 PM
    They may simply be playing close to the vest. Just because they haven't made the road map public, does not necessarily mean anything.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    You are missing some things. The road map had future development before BB10 was released to the public as a device. Developers need to know new features to test and plan for those new features. There are no new features planned. BB10 needs new features to move forward. There is much left to do as technology changes.
    05-25-15 12:15 PM
    Nope. I just checked mine, and it's still alive. Sorry for your loss.
    As someone else said, if you are not moving with technology, then it is dead. I guess you are still on Windows 95 too. LOL
    KermEd and MarsupilamiX like this.
    05-25-15 12:17 PM
    You are missing some things. The road map had future development before BB10 was released to the public as a device. Developers need to know new features to test and plan for those new features. There are no new features planned. BB10 needs new features to move forward. There is much left to do as technology changes.
    They have already outsourced (so to speak) consumer app development to Android (with Amazon).

With native enterprise software, they don't necessarily need public bulletin boards, they can deal directly with those developers. They're really not that many. Much of that functionality is built into the OS and developed internally.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    05-25-15 12:23 PM
    This isn't the first time Blackberry has made questionable decisions and will not be the last. BB10 will still be around more than likely but with some crazy changes.
    05-25-15 12:28 PM
532 123 ...