Hi All,

I saw something regarding this on another site and have been curious about this for awhile. It seems that BlackBerry 10 devices will not have data compression like the old BB's (as much can be expected as you can't have a fast, content rich browsing experience if you do), but if that's the case does that not negate the usefulness of BIS data? I'm actually more curious on your takes on how this impacts (or doesn't impact) RIM's business and our user experience and if it's a good thing or just a necessary thing?

It's early, and i may not have worded this the best but just looking at your opinions on this.
    12-21-12 08:31 AM
    Most internet data is compressed by the server and decompressed by the client/browser: data sent over http is gzipped, images and media are compressed. Realistically only e-mail is sometimes uncompressed and would benefit from compression at network level.
    12-21-12 12:00 PM
    Hi All,

I saw something regarding this on another site and have been curious about this for awhile. It seems that BlackBerry 10 devices will not have data compression like the old BB's (as much can be expected as you can't have a fast, content rich browsing experience if you do), but if that's the case does that not negate the usefulness of BIS data? I'm actually more curious on your takes on how this impacts (or doesn't impact) RIM's business and our user experience and if it's a good thing or just a necessary thing?

It's early, and i may not have worded this the best but just looking at your opinions on this.
    Link?

I'm not sure where this information is coming from, though it doesn't seem too far fetched. The main reason RIM's stock tanked yesterday is due to worries of declining service revenue. Basically Thor said that there will be tiered plans for consumers. Don't quote me on this, but this can possibly mean some services will have BIS some, won't. You can have BBM with just normal data and not have to use BIS. It's all just speculation now, but that could possibly what you read about the loss of data compression on the BB10. Which actually isn't true. Just that you will have to choice to choose to have it or not. E.g. Go through RIM servers which will compress data for you, or not.
    12-22-12 01:30 PM
    I think there's no need for RIM to deploy data compression on BB10 with upcoming 4G network, as the carrier provides more and more data plan, ther's nothing to worry about.

PS: only few countries still run 2G networks, which means they are out of date
    12-26-12 12:51 AM
    BIS data compression is important to me. I use a lot of data and currently have a 6GB plan. With data compression my 6GB's become 18GB, as BIS compresses data to 1/3
    12-26-12 11:24 AM
    BIS data compression is important to me. I use a lot of data and currently have a 6GB plan. With data compression my 6GB's become 18GB, as BIS compresses data to 1/3
    not sure where/how u get a 1/3 compression rate, but as stated most web data is already compressed. The really big data users - images, music and video are not going to compress more.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    12-26-12 11:41 AM
    I do prefer to use BIS instead of regular internet data plan from carrier. What I truly miss when I try London and alpha running on BB10 OS for London is Blackberry data compression.

I spend for about 2 GB a week when I use BB10 OS. Pretty amazing, since I reach 3 GB per month when I use previous BB OS.

How I know that I use average 3 GB data per month? Simple, from monthly billing detail. I subscribe Full BIS for about USD 13/month.

So, how I know that I spend over 2 GB per week for BB10? Simple, at the 8th days after I use BB10, I cannot connect anymore to the Internet from BB10. When I add the data limit, I reconnected again to the internet from the BB10.
    12-26-12 12:20 PM
    12-26-12 02:19 PM
    not sure where/how u get a 1/3 compression rate, but as stated most web data is already compressed. The really big data users - images, music and video are not going to compress more.
    RIM's NOC compresses data. Read the link I provided
    12-26-12 02:21 PM
    it will probably continue to compress if you choose to use BIS. It's a main competitive advantage for overseas travellers.
    12-26-12 03:27 PM
    I think there's no need for RIM to deploy data compression on BB10 with upcoming 4G network, as the carrier provides more and more data plan, ther's nothing to worry about.
    Try spending a few days overseas with the difference between compressed or non-compressed at $15/megabyte, or a hard cap data volume imposed by the european gautleiters. You'll soon learn the value of the NOC and compression - the saving for me in one week away can pay for BIS for the rest of the year.
    12-26-12 04:04 PM