I've been running a few leaked versions of BB10, and with the last few leaks (latest leak being the 10.2.1725) I have noticed some truly show stopping bugs related to email.

I setup my work gmail using Exchange ActiveSync, with m.google.com as the email server. Works wonderfully at first. But then something truly bizarre happens. After a while, a few days or so, and it seems to happen when I change wifi environments, suddenly the synchro with Gmail stops and I get a warning telling me so. Then when I look at the parameters of my Gmail account, I see that the server has changed to an Outlook\Hotmail server. This has happened three times already. To fix the problem I have to erase the Outlook server and re-enter the Gmail server m.google.com. But then it will happen again a few days later.

I suppose, when running leaks one must accept bugs, but this sort of bug is truly bizarre. Has anybody else experienced this?
    09-17-13 02:17 PM
    I've been running a few leaked versions of BB10, and with the last few leaks (latest leak being the 10.2.1725) I have noticed some truly show stopping bugs related to email.

I setup my work gmail using Exchange ActiveSync, with m.google.com as the email server. Works wonderfully at first. But then something truly bizarre happens. After a while, a few days or so, and it seems to happen when I change wifi environments, suddenly the synchro with Gmail stops and I get a warning telling me so. Then when I look at the parameters of my Gmail account, I see that the server has changed to an Outlook\Hotmail server. This has happened three times already. To fix the problem I have to erase the Outlook server and re-enter the Gmail server m.google.com. But then it will happen again a few days later.

I suppose, when running leaks one must accept bugs, but this sort of bug is truly bizarre. Has anybody else experienced this?
    I have a STL4 Z0 running 10.2.1725 and also have a work account that uses m.google.com as the host. Have not noticed any problems with the email accounts.

Have you tried just deleting the whole account and then add it back? Did you do a restore? I didn't - maybe try again without it (real PAIN).
    09-17-13 02:30 PM

First of all, Google no longer supports EAS on any of their FREE accounts, unless you are using a specific device that you had previously setup on EAS before their removal of that service. (apx 2013-02)

So assuming these are all PAID accounts, I haven't seen a report of that sort of thing in the past.

However there is a longstanding issue with BB10 devices "forgetting" user passwords for email accounts after some sort of connectivity interruption.

In the Gmail case, this was largely resolved by completely re-working the account setup process and incorporating Google's proprietary web-based account setup feature, which among other things sets up an "application-specific password" when setting up a Google account. This addresses their server's "skepticism" which tends to block access whenever it receives account access attempts from "unknown" or "questionable" endpoints. ("Questionable" in this context seems to include an endpoint that starts a session using one IP address/socket, then attempts to continue it from a different IP address/socket - ie common scenario when mobile devices shift from carrier internet link to WiFi link and back, which can occur many times in a row.)

Based on some other reports I've seen, there may be issues with Blackberry's new system and "Commercial" Google accounts. Google may have a different account setup mechanism for those, and BlackBerry may not have taken that into account with their new Google/Gmail account setup mechanism.
    Jonneh likes this.
    09-17-13 03:15 PM
    First of all, Google no longer supports EAS on any of their FREE accounts, unless you are using a specific device that you had previously setup on EAS before their removal of that service. (apx 2013-02)

So assuming these are all PAID accounts, I haven't seen a report of that sort of thing in the past.

However there is a longstanding issue with BB10 devices "forgetting" user passwords for email accounts after some sort of connectivity interruption.

In the Gmail case, this was largely resolved by completely re-working the account setup process and incorporating Google's proprietary web-based account setup feature, which among other things sets up an "application-specific password" when setting up a Google account. This addresses their server's "skepticism" which tends to block access whenever it receives account access attempts from "unknown" or "questionable" endpoints. ("Questionable" in this context seems to include an endpoint that starts a session using one IP address/socket, then attempts to continue it from a different IP address/socket - ie common scenario when mobile devices shift from carrier internet link to WiFi link and back, which can occur many times in a row.)

Based on some other reports I've seen, there may be issues with Blackberry's new system and "Commercial" Google accounts. Google may have a different account setup mechanism for those, and BlackBerry may not have taken that into account with their new Google/Gmail account setup mechanism.

Thanks for the information. My Gmail account is a corporate paid Google Apps account. So it is my work email. This being the case, what is the best way to setup a corporate gmail account ?
    09-18-13 01:06 PM
    Thanks for the information. My Gmail account is a corporate paid Google Apps account. So it is my work email. This being the case, what is the best way to setup a corporate gmail account ?
    Especially if it is just for email (ie not for calendar/contacts) I would just use the "advanced" setup and hand-enter the hostnames etc for either IMAP or Exchange ActiveSync, whichever is your preference.

EAS has advantages when it comes to integrating email/contacts/calendar/notes and provides a bunch of other functionality which your provider (obviously Google in this case) may or may not support (ie imposing policy restrictions on the device and allowing you to do things like remotely wipe it if you think it has fallen into unfriendly hands), and also has more robust "push email" functionality that works in a wider variety of network scenarios than IMAP's "IDLE" push feature does.

I don't think Google likes to use Microsoft's terminology though, they may call their EAS configuration "Google Sync" or something like that.

They never produced a BB10-specific document about setting up EAS with their service but you can probably get the info you need from their instructions for other platforms, or else I can look up a thread here for you or something:

What is Google Sync? - Google Apps Help
    09-18-13 02:05 PM