tl;dr When going to a LAN address, window.localStorage can't be used, but window.sessionStorage can. Security setting for this?

I've been running a Plex Media Server for a while, and I never actually tried to access it using my Z10 (had media players that did it for me). Anyways, on a whim today, I tried to access my server. All I got was a screen with the Plex logo. So, being a developer, I wanted to see what was going on. I turned on Web Inspector, and began debugging. Immediately, I saw that there was a Javascript error that was being thrown (about the DOM Quota being exceeded). Looking into their code, it was being thrown whenever the window.localStorage was being called. This error can apparently happen on Safari on IOS devices that are in private browsing mode. BUT, my Z10 was NOT in private browsing mode.

I tried to test on different websites (google.com, etc), and had no issues. So, finally, today, I realized that maybe it has something to do with accessing sites on my LAN VS. on the internet.

I wrote a simple index page that tried to access the window.localStorage and put it on my LAN, as well as on a publicly accessible domain. And lo and behold, my LAN page threw the error, while the publicly accessible one did not. This reminds me of the security profiles you can set in Windows for Intranet vs Internet access.

The question now is, is there a setting somewhere (I have not been able to find it) that can turn this on/off?

Dan
    04-13-14 10:11 AM
    Hi dslack and welcome to the CrackBerry community.
    I guess you could jump on these threads and see what contributors found about it :
    https://github.com/wet-boew/wet-boew/issues/4110
    javascript - html5 localStorage error with Safari: "QUOTA_EXCEEDED_ERR: DOM Exception 22: An attempt was made to add something to storage that exceeded the quota." - Stack Overflow

At least as a starting point ...
    Cheers
    SF
    04-13-14 05:45 PM