Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Lumute
  • 1 Post By greatwiseone
  • 1 Post By G-bone
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Lightbulb BB10 Browser - Room for Awesomeness

The Blackberry 10 Browser is supposed to be great. It is supposed to be better than an any mobile browser, it is even supposed to be better than any desktop browser.

Microsoft has Internet Explorer, Apple has Safari, Google has Chrome, and they all have Desktop Versions of their Browsers as well as mobile versions.

Why then is BlackBerry's Browser still just called "Browser" ?

I think at the very least, it deserves to have a name.

And absolutely we have to have a desktop version that can be used as the daily driver on the computer, and sign in with BlackBerry ID and use it to sync bookmarks etc.

P.S. I do not have a BB10 device yet, so I cannot comment on usability and performance, but I am glad they introduced the tagging of bookmarks, and really hope they have added a Find (ctrl+F) function.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    457 Global Posts

Technically speaking its just called BlackBerry Browser, if I'm not mistaken that is. I do think that a desktop variant could be interesting in the future.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

Yeah, no idea to produce yet another Desktop browser.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    380 Global Posts

Even browser plugins for chrome, ff, etc that would sync my desktop bookmarks to my BlackBerry would be great!

I'd still like to see a desktop version of qnx
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by oddboy View Post
    Even browser plugins for chrome, ff, etc that would sync my desktop bookmarks to my BlackBerry would be great!
    This is a much better idea, it would take a lot of resources an big effort to make something comparable to Chrome or Firefox, I do not want blackberry loosing focus on this, focus on making BB10 the #1 instead!

Posted via CB10
    ScwB likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

BB10 is a mobile COMPUTING platform. BB wants you to use the brower ON THE PHONE and not on desktops. If you need to use it on a big screen, just hook your BB10 device into the monitor with HDMI.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by TheUnknownUser View Post
    Technically speaking its just called BlackBerry Browser, if I'm not mistaken that is. I do think that a desktop variant could be interesting in the future.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly my point, calling it a Browser or BlackBerry Browser or any other mundane generic name is unfair. It needs an identity of its own, a unique name, just one striking new word is all it needs. That word can be standalone or it be sandwiched between BlackBerry and Browser.

Quote Originally Posted by inffy View Post
    Yeah, no idea to produce yet another Desktop browser.
    Well, it won’t be just another browser, if it is as good as they say it is, and they pull it off properly for desktop, then it can be a viable alternative to Chrome and Firefox. It can work as a really strong marketing tool, one that instantly introduces millions to new BlackBerry Software.
    Additionally, it can offer services to owners of BlackBerry device owners like Cloud Syncing of Bookmarks and other data, Desktop Bridge Plugin, BlackBerry Protect Plugin, and who knows maybe even a Desktop BBM plugin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumute View Post
    This is a much better idea, it would take a lot of resources an big effort to make something comparable to Chrome or Firefox, I do not want blackberry loosing focus on this, focus on making BB10 the #1 instead!

Posted via CB10
    Ofcourse we don't want them losing focus.

Quote Originally Posted by greatwiseone View Post
    BB10 is a mobile COMPUTING platform. BB wants you to use the brower ON THE PHONE and not on desktops. If you need to use it on a big screen, just hook your BB10 device into the monitor with HDMI.
    I know where you are coming from, it is QNX itself that needs to infiltrate our everyday lives, but that is still many years in the future. Meanwhile I can use browsers from Apple, Microsoft, and Google on my computer, a Desktop Browser from BlackBerry would be a great way to get the masses on board and ready for the mobile computing revolution.

I understand that a Desktop Browser would be a great undertaking, but it would also open up a whole new world of possibilities, and massively help in putting Blackberry back on the minds of people in a major way.

At least we can all agree that a browser should have a name ... Any Ideas ?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

Default BB10 Browser - Room for Awesomeness

It has a Name , BBRY calling it Torch.

Ohh Torch is not a Name for Browser, Torch Mobile are Browser Developer, they Build the Browser Iris.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'd still like to see a desktop version of qnx
    I completely agree with this idea, instead of a separate BB Browser on the desktop. Syncing my bookmarks is really all I need and would be super useful.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,170 Global Posts
    PIN
    2aed1ace

Xmarks is a cross-platform bookmark app. I wonder if they will bring it to BB10.

On the subect of bookmarks, does BB10 manage browser bookmarks better than the PB browser (in app folders, etc)?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    380 Global Posts

You can organize them a bit better using tags.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

I don't see the problem with naming it what it does. They don't need to gimmick it up with a catchy name. When training a Windows user to use an iPhone, there is no logical reason for them to equate Safari with web browser. I have to point it out every time.

The calendar is called Calendar, they call the camera app Camera. I don't see what the problem is.
    They talk about me like a dog, talkin' about the clothes I wear
    But they don't realize they're the ones who's square.
    CrackBerry User

Default Re: BB10 Browser - Room for Awesomeness

Anyone knows how to quick return to top or bottom page?, like on iOS just touch the top of screen. In qwerty devices, we already have shortcut by pushing "T" and "B"
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,170 Global Posts
    PIN
    2aed1ace

You can organize them a bit better using tags.
    Could you explain this a bit more? I suppose tags are a visual way of grouping bookmarks, but is there still no way to dump them into folders?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    380 Global Posts

No way to dump in folders, but tags allow you to display all bookmarks with a given tags, so same as folders but more flexible.
    Thanked by:
    ubizmo (02-18-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Like to see BB release downloadable desktop BB10...

#BB10BELIEVE

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry -
    We invented the Smartphone Business...
    We're takin' it back!
    Thanked by:
    oddboy (02-18-2013) 
    oddboy likes this.