Try the online test yourself, read the results and discuss, if you like. https://www.howsmyssl.com

Posted by the inimitable Z10 handheld system
    01-08-14 01:22 AM
    Ok. I am running Internet Explorer 9.

The page says my SSL client is bad, as it is using TLS 1.0, and is susceptible to the Beast attack.

Should I be worried? Has anyone tried Firefox? I do not have Comodo Dragon installed on this PC, so will test later and report.

Edit: Even Comodo Ice Dragon fails. Nothing can preserve us from this howsmyssl web page, close the internet.
    Last edited by BBFunGuy; 01-08-14 at 03:15 PM.
    01-08-14 06:24 AM
    Out of Firefox, Explorer, BB10 and Chrome, chrome was the only one which got a "probably okay" result.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 06:36 AM
    Ok. I am running Internet Explorer 9.

The page says my SSL client is bad, as it is using TLS 1.0, and is susceptible to the Beast attack.

Should I be worried? Has anyone tried Firefox? I do not have Comodo Dragon installed on this PC, so will test later and report.
    im on Opera 12.16.

it also says SSL is bad.

Imho, it's bull****.
    01-08-14 06:38 AM
    As non-experts we don't have a frame of reference by which to judge the validity of the test. I never heard of "Beast"; presumably some sort of virus. Sounds kinda gothic. On the good side, whilst BB10 got a big red fail on the main test, the rest of the results were moderate-to-good.
    01-08-14 06:59 AM
    Out of Firefox, Explorer, BB10 and Chrome, chrome was the only one which got a "probably okay" result.

Posted via CB10
    Just tried on a win8.1 tablet IE and result is probably ok.
    01-08-14 07:14 AM
    The BEAST attack exploits problems discovered in TLS 1.0. While it is desirable for all clients to move to newer versions of TLS in order to be protected from the BEAST attack simply by using a later version of TLS requires that the server also support the later version. Servers are often even slower to upgrade than clients so many browsers have been patch to provide protection from BEAST while still using TLS 1.0. I do not know the status of the BB10 browser with respect to this.

Importantly this site is not a test for vulnerability to BEAST, it only looks at the version of TLS supported.

It would certainly be better for BlackBerry to move cryptographic support to TLS 1.2, but the servers of the sites you visit must also upgrade to this support. Test sites like this one perform a useful function of bringing the issue to the masses and act as a prod to bring about the upgrades, but should not be used as a reason to be over concerned.
    sickyute and kennyiceberry like this.
    01-08-14 09:04 AM
    im on Opera 12.16.

it also says SSL is bad.

Imho, it's bull****.

Something is poorly configured in Opera then, because it should rate higher than that.

Check Tools/Preferences/Advanced/Security/[Security Protocols button]

Make sure TLS 1.0/1.1/1.2 are checked. Under "Details", make sure to disable (uncheck) anything that shows the following - probably at the top of the list:

"Anonymous"
    "Authentication Only"

Then it should get a rating of "Improvable", just like most desktop browsers on that page.

Not that I think that test page is the "Be all / End all", but yeah, the rating you got is not the norm for Opera in its default configuration these days.
    05-06-14 04:55 AM