I dislike when people make the WebOS comparison because WebOS was never once on top like RIM, if anything its in the WP8 position trying to create a spot for its self and getting all new customers. RIM has its current base, those who switched until BB10 releases, and former BB owners. With the proposed backing of carriers BB10 can win back the former owners cuz we know a good amt loved two things that keyboard and BBM. They've made major moves that i just don't see failing them, acquisitions that can't be matched, we still don't know whats the deal w/ newbay and Jaycut. They've been doing partnerships worldwide. And finally they have a CMO something that wasn't there before Jan 30th they will have the worlds attention all online blogs, tech sites, twitters and new stations.
    Palm WAS on top for a long time. Well before smartphones even existed.
    11-29-12 08:15 PM
    Lol... the dev alpha and dev B are better than android but aren't as good as ios
    - I wonder to what extent he considers or knows those devices to be crippled versions of the final product???? I guarantee that Misek doesn't know more about the launch product than any of the more informed members of this site (and probably less than Kevin or Bla1ze, et al)
    11-29-12 08:17 PM
    On top of what. The pda moment that never took off because phones did everything they did but better, with more features.
    11-29-12 08:27 PM
    On top of what. The pda moment that never took off because phones did everything they did but better, with more features.
    Yup. Similar to how Blackberry was on top of the "smartphone" market before people realized what real smartphones could do.
    It's a new world for them, just like it was a new one for Palm.
    Saiga likes this.
    11-29-12 08:30 PM
    What Misek and his type fail to take into account are BlackBerry Lovers...there are a lot of people in North America who WANT to be BlackBerry. They may have been disappointed, or moved on because of better features, peer pressure, corporate shift, etc.
    But for millions of people, BlackBerry was there first love.
    I've said it before, I'll say it again - you had a girlfriend in high school. She was your first. You loved her dearly. But. You changed, you got tempted, you,moved away. Whatever.
    You see her years later and she's more beautiful than ever. You talk to her : she's more experienced more interesting, deeper and more beguiling than ever...and, BAM! You're right back there, head over heels. She's everything you loved before, and she's brand new.
    Now, this isn't the only thing that will make The 10 a big success, but it is something these "analysts ", have no feel for, don't take into account. Fair enough. But they're out there...
    anon(1152406) likes this.
    11-29-12 08:39 PM
    At a time when teenagers weren't walking around with cellphones and they were more of a necessity than a want.
    11-29-12 09:07 PM
    If analysts were actually good at their jobs, they would be called psychics.
    11-29-12 09:10 PM
    What Misek and his type fail to take into account are BlackBerry Lovers...there are a lot of people in North America who WANT to be BlackBerry. They may have been disappointed, or moved on because of better features, peer pressure, corporate shift, etc.
    I've said it before, I'll say it again - you had a girlfriend in high school. She was your first. You loved her dearly. But. You changed, you got tempted, you,moved away. Whatever.
    You see her years later and she's more beautiful than ever. You talk to her : she's more experienced more interesting, deeper and more beguiling than ever...and, BAM! You're right back there, head over heels. She's everything you loved before, and she's brand new.
    Now, this isn't the only thing that will make The 10 a big success, but it is something these "analysts ", have no feel for, don't take into account. Fair enough. But they're out there...
    That is a horrible analogy...it's more realistic that you see your x after years apart and after you have found someone who makes you happy and meets your needs. Your x suddenly looks like a turd and you can't believe that you stayed with her as long as you did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Rello and JKeigh like this.
    11-29-12 09:14 PM
    To the OP. In response to the topic, Does BB10 exist in consumer hands? If not then STFU. I am waiting for BB10 myself, but like this is just shows how really ******** you are,
    kevinnugent likes this.
    11-29-12 09:15 PM
    Although, Rim has a very compelling and very competitive product in bb10 by the looks of it. Rim will not take androids or ios position by a long shot, not in the very near future anyways. Maybe in 3 to 5 years. Lets face facts, although Rim has 80 plus million subscribers, the vast majority own curves and not the high end devices like the bold. I really cant see a great number of the L and N selling to make a dent in androids numbers or ios for that fact. In a few years by the time bb 11 or 12 or maybe 10.1/10.2 what have you comes out they might have considerable traction by then to threaten Android / ios. Heres hoping they do.

The sad possibility still exists of it being a little to late like webos, whether its miniscule dosnt matter in the tech world. Stranger things have happened.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    11-29-12 09:16 PM
    RIM's path is following the same path Palm did (let the flaming begin). . ..
    I think Chris Umiastowski said it best. . . "Comparing RIM to WebOS is an overused and insane activity. Palm ran out of cash. Period. They did not have the funding to do a real launch. Without a marketing engine you have almost no chance of success. So this argument doesn't hold water in my opinion." Apart from this Palm also did not have a truly global and growing user base despite slowing sale in the US. If the trend in smart phone adoption in emerging markets starts to truly resemble how adoption happened in the US, then RIM might actually be in a very good place. According to Vision Mobile's latest Developer economics report, emerging markets will drive app development demand "an order of magnitude larger [than Western markets] as their smartphone penetration increases. Ericsson's Mobility Report forecast "a total of 6.6 billion mobile subscriptions by the end of this year, and 9.9 billion by 2018. In the third quarter of 2012, China alone accounted for about 35 percent of additional subscriptions, followed by new mobile contracts in Brazil, Indonesia and the Philippines." Those last three countries sound familiar? They should. . .they are places where RIM still has a good presence. . . the iPhone may have sparked the smartphone boom in the US but may be RIM will set if off globally. . .hmmm?!
    11-29-12 09:35 PM
    Did palm actually use webos or was it something a little different, I thought todays webos was created off of what HP got from Plam when they bought them...
    11-29-12 09:48 PM
    I think Chris Umiastowski said it best. . . "Comparing RIM to WebOS is an overused and insane activity. Palm ran out of cash. Period. They did not have the funding to do a real launch. Without a marketing engine you have almost no chance of success. So this argument doesn't hold water in my opinion." Apart from this Palm also did not have a truly global and growing user base despite slowing sale in the US. If the trend in smart phone adoption in emerging markets starts to truly resemble how adoption happened in the US, then RIM might actually be in a very good place. According to Vision Mobile's latest Developer economics report, emerging markets will drive app development demand "an order of magnitude larger [than Western markets] as their smartphone penetration increases. Ericsson's Mobility Report forecast "a total of 6.6 billion mobile subscriptions by the end of this year, and 9.9 billion by 2018. In the third quarter of 2012, China alone accounted for about 35 percent of additional subscriptions, followed by new mobile contracts in Brazil, Indonesia and the Philippines." Those last three countries sound familiar? They should. . .they are places where RIM still has a good presence. . . the iPhone may have sparked the smartphone boom in the US but may be RIM will set if off globally. . .hmmm?!
    And BlackBerry has money for a successful launch? Last I heard they only have 2 billion in the bank.
    11-29-12 10:07 PM
    A the vast majority own curves and not the high end devices like the bold.
    Please provide data: how does that 80 million line breakdown between:

Curves
    Bolds
    Torches
    Storms
    Pearls
    Styles

etc

Really wish people would stop making claims about "vast majority of the market" when they don't have market data to support it.
    anon(3310921) likes this.
    11-29-12 10:16 PM
    And BlackBerry has money for a successful launch? Last I heard they only have 2 billion in the bank.
    It's 2.3 billion actually.

For perspective, when Palm launched WebOS, they had $100 million and a pile of debt as well.
    anon(3310921) likes this.
    11-29-12 10:17 PM
    Did palm actually use webos or was it something a little different, I thought todays webos was created off of what HP got from Plam when they bought them...
    they originally had Palm OS, which was dated and not competitive. They tried to redo the OS multiple times and sold Windows Mobile phones whilst working on the WebOS platform. Palm did launch WEBOS on a number of devices prior to being purchased, including the Palm Pre, Palm Pixi and a few others. Shame it didn't work - I quite liked the OS.
    11-29-12 10:19 PM
    Only 2 billion? um. . .how much do you expect it will cost to launch? It's been rumored that any where between 400 mil and 1 billion was spent by Microsoft for the windows 8 launch (with the 1 billion being the least likely and some where around 500 mil being seen as the most Likely). . .I think RIM will be just fine a launch. . .they've been "launching" stuff for a while now. . .I think they would have done the math by now. . .lol
    11-29-12 10:21 PM
    I dislike when people make the WebOS comparison because WebOS was never once on top like RIM, if anything its in the WP8 position trying to create a spot for its self and getting all new customers.
    I wasn't comparing WebOS. I was comparing Palm to RIM.

In March 2000 Palm went public at $38 a share. Its market cap peaked at $54 billion.
    In 2010, HP bought Palm for $1.2 billion,

RIM's peak was at around $75 billion in May 2008.
    RIM's market cap is around $6 billion today.

Palm owned the PDA market just as RIM owned the smartphone market.
    The problem is both of these markets were placeholders till the computer people took them over.

Palm owned the PDA market. They failed to make the transition to phones, which RIM was able to do with a baby web browser and secure email.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    11-29-12 10:35 PM
    Nah, ex is 49, 40lbs 0verweight, 5 kids, and always grouchy. Tried to sell her a box of fiber because she is FOS. LOL.

Anyway, I agree that a lot of ppl are waiting to see if RIM will deliver, and will they be around after buying a new BlackBerry- based on a lot of bad press, a lot of internal issues that has been allowed to go on at RIM, and building up to the last two years "without" a new BB. As far as being better then Android, I have a GSlll. So, I'll find out real quick.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 11-29-12 at 10:56 PM.
    11-29-12 10:45 PM
    To be fair to this guy, he IS an analyst and he would probably try and base his opinion on facts that he has rather than speculation. If there are people listening to him for financial advice then he probably should be conservative with his estimation of RIM's success in order to keep his credibility. I mean you can't lose what you don't have, on the other hand if he is more positive on bb10 and people lose money then he is screwed...
    11-29-12 11:39 PM
    If the product is really great, they will know about it through the media.

When Apple announced the original iPhone, there was not one person who didn't know about it and Apple didn't spend $1 of advertising on it for over a month.
    The only ad they ran until the June launch was the Hello ad during the Oscars on 25 Feb 2007.

I love that ad, even if I dislike the product LOL
    11-30-12 12:11 AM
    It's 2.3 billion actually.

For perspective, when Palm launched WebOS, they had $100 million and a pile of debt as well.
    They could have all the money in the world, but their launch marketing absolutely sucks. Look at the Playbook. Thatvwas their big product, yet I'm still not sure I've ever seen one single commercial for it. Rims problems go much deeper than a substandard prodct.

kevinnugent likes this.
    11-30-12 08:03 AM
    They could have all the money in the world, but their launch marketing absolutely sucks. Look at the Playbook. Thatvwas their big product, yet I'm still not sure I've ever seen one single commercial for it. Rims problems go much deeper than a substandard prodct.

How can you judge the "new" RIM and their launch marketing capabilities considering they haven't really launched anything new yet?
    11-30-12 10:54 AM
    People should pay attention to Palm and pay head to history. In the NA corporate market Palm PDA were widely used as replacements for paper daytimers in my company penetration was at 80% for managers and up. Blackberries wiped them out in less then 2 years. Now Blackberry is being wiped out by phones with more functionality and RIM has been saying for the last 1.5 years "Wait" and we will have something great.

What needs to be understood is once a segment is lost you don't get it back by coming out with something as good. If BB 10 had launched a year and a half ago or even a year ago RIM could have transitioned over and continued on. Companies have opened up and allowed the other devices in and that will be the reality going forward.

Everyone here is excited about BB10 but really it is a catch up product. It does not bring anything new to the table and that will make getting those former users back tough.
    Syrous44 and kevinnugent like this.
    11-30-12 12:04 PM
    That is a horrible analogy...it's more realistic that you see your x after years apart and after you have found someone who makes you happy and meets your needs. Your x suddenly looks like a turd and you can't believe that you stayed with her as long as you did.

I agree. Bad analogy.

I'd more compare it too most people that used a brand didn't like it, and refuse to use it after that. Word of mouth is a powerful tool and it has really hurt RIM's brand. I know people that have will not buy a BB and have NEVER used the product...simply because of what they've heard about them. How does RIM combat that sort of thinking.

People will switch back but not in the numbers a lot are thinking. I think it'll take years to do that
    Syrous44 likes this.
    11-30-12 01:06 PM
60 123