Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ccan
  • 1 Post By TrioGM
  • 1 Post By simu31
  • 1 Post By Peevish
  • 1 Post By 123berryaddicted
  1. ccan's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    94 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Bb10 balance feature

    The bb10 balance has been described has a security wall between personal and work information. I haven't read anywhere how the balance feature can benefit the average consumer. Can anyone elaborate the full power of this feature for the consumer using the bb10 for there own personal use only.
  2. ctuffy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    257 Posts
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    I read that the balance feature is not going to available to the average consumer. Only though the Enterprise service (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
  3. ccan's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    94 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    I was thinking maybe would be good if consumer could seperate their banking, trading and any other sensitive personal info from social media, gaming, etc..
    Thanked by:
    magutwit (01-03-2013) 
    TrioGM likes this.
  4. TrioGM's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    200 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default Re: Bb10 balance feature

    If RIM advertises the BB10 Balance feature so much, I think it will be stupid if an average consumer not associated to any IT can't access this great feature.
    jerryeight likes this.
  5. simu31's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    570 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CATufts View Post
    I read that the balance feature is not going to available to the average consumer. Only though the Enterprise service (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
    Yes, that's pretty much it. It's through BES that Blackberry Balance will source itself and will therefore not be available to consumers.

    Then again, what point in having two separate identities when you're only a consumer... unless the consumer is bipolar I guess

    Si.
  6. simu31's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    570 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ccan View Post
    I was thinking maybe would be good if consumer could seperate their banking, trading and any other sensitive personal info from social media, gaming, etc..
    That's already the case with the built in security of the device. You don't need Blackberry Balance to protect your information.

    Si.
  7. simu31's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    570 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrioGM View Post
    If RIM advertises the BB10 Balance feature so much, I think it will be stupid if an average consumer not associated to any IT can't access this great feature.
    But that's the thing, RIM hasn't been advertising Blackberry Balance. They showed one feature which will be useful for part of their user base during a few developer conferences. There has been to date, no actual adverising (unless you include that New York Times book supplement thing) for anything in BB10.

    Si.
    r0v3rT3N likes this.
  8. Peevish's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,339 Posts
    PIN
    Ask nicely
    #8  

    Default

    What if you own your own business and you're the only employee and thus don't need to to pay a boat load of money to run BES, but would like to separate the information of your clients from your personal, information?
    magutwit likes this.
  9. hkkelvinlee's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    330 Posts
    #9  

    Default Bb10 balance feature

    I think it matters to consumers too in BYOD context. If I were to buy a phone which I may plug into employer's network, I would like to retain max flexibility on what apps to use and how I want to use MY phone and my employer cannot see my data at least in the "Play Zone".

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
  10. sf49ers's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,247 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peevish View Post
    What if you own your own business and you're the only employee and thus don't need to to pay a boat load of money to run BES, but would like to separate the information of your clients from your personal, information?
    stay tuned, RIM has various service offerings for small businesses like the usecase you described but you will have to shell out extra money for that.
  11. simu31's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    570 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hkkelvinlee View Post
    I think it matters to consumers too in BYOD context. If I were to buy a phone which I may plug into employer's network, I would like to retain max flexibility on what apps to use and how I want to use MY phone and my employer cannot see my data at least in the "Play Zone".
    Then your BYOD phone will be connected to the company BES and you will have access to Blackberry Balance.

    Si.
  12. magutwit's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    155 Posts
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CATufts View Post
    I read that the balance feature is not going to available to the average consumer. Only though the Enterprise service (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
    Too bad, I'd like to have it. If it is so, I'm getting more and more disappointed.
  13. magutwit's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    155 Posts
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simu31 View Post
    Then again, what point in having two separate identities when you're only a consumer... unless the consumer is bipolar I guess
    Si.
    Because you can have some kind of alternative work life without being an employee : like being a blogger, craftman, artist, writer...and you'd like it being separate (emal exchange with clients, fans, counts, etc.).
  14. cjcampbell's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,687 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,691 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magutwit View Post
    Too bad, I'd like to have it. If it is so, I'm getting more and more disappointed.
    The whole point of BB Balance is to enable the IT department to fully lock down the business side of things, while allowing people to still utilize their phone on the personal side. Before this, a lot of times when someone is issued a work phone, they really don't get to utilize it's potential due to what's allowed. Also, for the BYOD, the IT had access to your whole phone so nothing was really private. Now, with BB Balance, you get your personal, and work get's their security and limitations, without one affecting the other.j

    I can appreciate where some feel this would benefit the self employed, as I felt the same in the beginning. I was looking forward to having my work stuff set to a different profile, but after a while, I realized that I really don't want to be switching back and forth between profiles and two different hubs. It just adds extra steps that I don't currently have to do. Although it would be cool to show off, it doesn't seem logical unless there's a real NEED to separate the two, and if that's the case, invest in one of the enterprise packages that RIM offers.
  15. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar

    Posts
    9,761 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,763 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #15  

    Default

    Balance isnt anything new, the way to access it (and to a greater extent the way it has been implemented) has changed, but the concept has been around for some time. On BB10/QNX devices, Balance is a logical separation of the work and personal personas on the device. The data is kept in different "partitions" and encrypted separately. You do not see this at work if you only have one persona (personal or work).
    ~S_A
  16. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar

    Posts
    9,761 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,763 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cjcampbell View Post
    The whole point of BB Balance is to enable the IT department to fully lock down the business side of things, while allowing people to still utilize their phone on the personal side. Before this, a lot of times when someone is issued a work phone, they really don't get to utilize it's potential due to what's allowed. Also, for the BYOD, the IT had access to your whole phone so nothing was really private. Now, with BB Balance, you get your personal, and work get's their security and limitations, without one affecting the other.j

    I can appreciate where some feel this would benefit the self employed, as I felt the same in the beginning. I was looking forward to having my work stuff set to a different profile, but after a while, I realized that I really don't want to be switching back and forth between profiles and two different hubs. It just adds extra steps that I don't currently have to do. Although it would be cool to show off, it doesn't seem logical unless there's a real NEED to separate the two, and if that's the case, invest in one of the enterprise packages that RIM offers.
    Not entirely true. Keep in mind that work data *can* access personal side if allowed, but not the other way around. So if you stayed in "work" mode, you could still access your personal E-mails, social networks, etc.
    ~S_A
  17. joeldf's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,094 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simu31 View Post
    Then your BYOD phone will be connected to the company BES and you will have access to Blackberry Balance.

    Si.
    But what if said company IS NOT RUNNING A BES SERVER?
    Remember, a lot of smaller companies (like the one I work for) dumped BES as soon as the iPhone provided native ActiveSync capability to save cost. Times still aren't what they used to be. Companies are still trimming costs where ever they can. BES is something that will never be considered again if they don't have to. I think I lot of people that immediately bring up "BES" forget that.

    So the question remains - for those of us that plan to BYOD (and that device is a BB 10) into a regular Exchange server office, what are our options, and can Balance be used in that situation? If not, then RIM is missing out on a big differentiation opportunity. If Balance is only available on BES, then they lose out on a vast majority of small business that see no reason to even look at it.
    Thanked by:
    magutwit (01-03-2013) 
  18. magutwit's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    155 Posts
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Honestly I don't know why it should be so difficult to offer everybody this basic feature and to include some further options into special enterprise package.

    Quote Originally Posted by cjcampbell View Post
    The whole point of BB Balance is to enable the IT department to fully lock down the business side of things, while allowing people to still utilize their phone on the personal side. Although it would be cool to show off, it doesn't seem logical unless there's a real NEED to separate the two, and if that's the case, invest in one of the enterprise packages that RIM offers.
    But if it is as many have said (that it'll be available only to those users who work in the enterprises who'd sign the special package), it would only mean that Rim didn't learn anything from its decline. One of the major reasons of this decline was that they thought that it's better to convince one person who'd order 10 000 devices for the whole enterprise rather than convince 10 000 users. I frankly thought that they were over it, because the experience proved it wrong, I'd even say the experience proved it fatal for Rim.

    Besides, as TrioGM said the Balance represents one of the major new features of BB10, the other is about gestures (hub isn't really one, it only improves the existing system of notifications), if it is absent for 90% of users than bb10 becomes quite empty in terms of appeal arguments.

    I hope it'll be more clear in a month, because the only thing I understand so far is that everybody understands the Rim statements in his own way. It's all about speculations...
  19. Banco's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    488 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peevish View Post
    What if you own your own business and you're the only employee and thus don't need to to pay a boat load of money to run BES, but would like to separate the information of your clients from your personal, information?
    Well, that's me. And to be honest, I don't really see any need for it, or any point to it. Balance is available now if I wanted it, but I just can't see any real advantage or need really.
  20. Skeevecr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,509 Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magutwit View Post
    Honestly I don't know why it should be so difficult to offer everybody this basic feature and to include some further options into special enterprise package.
    I wish people would refrain from trying to be some kind of armchair developer and not come out with unfounded statements that assume something they don't know how it works would be easy to implement in an entirely different way than it is currently.

    We can't be sure of how balance works for sure right now and have even less info on how they might expand on the idea in the future, but for now what we do know is it is intended to allow people to have work devices not locked down quite so much and to not lose all their personal data due to IT wiping their phone when they left a job. These are useful things to some people, but a feature is not broken if it does not completely fit how you want it to work.
  21. 123berryaddicted's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    587 Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Well folks. I like many on this thread want the balance feature. I run a small business (6 employees). My employees don't need it, but I seriously would like the ability to shut all my work email off at 5:30pm, but still have the same phone with my personal contacts active. That would. Be seriously cool. As a small business owner its nice to be able to 'shut it off' at night sometimes, but still be connected with your personal friends. I would imagine I'm not the only small business owner who feels this. In fact I was speaking with a friend of mine who is a huge Apple fan, when I told him about the balance feature his eyes lit up. This feature alone would pull him back to BlackBerry (if BES is not needed).
    Sent from my Bold 9900.
    magutwit likes this.
  22. Skeevecr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,509 Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 123berryaddicted View Post
    Well folks. I like many on this thread want the balance feature. I run a small business (6 employees). My employees don't need it, but I seriously would like the ability to shut all my work email off at 5:30pm, but still have the same phone with my personal contacts active. That would. Be seriously cool. As a small business owner its nice to be able to 'shut it off' at night sometimes, but still be connected with your personal friends. I would imagine I'm not the only small business owner who feels this. In fact I was speaking with a friend of mine who is a huge Apple fan, when I told him about the balance feature his eyes lit up. This feature alone would pull him back to BlackBerry (if BES is not needed).
    As far as shutting off work emails at the end of the day, there is a simpler option than the overkill of Balance, you could just switch off displaying your work account in the hub when you are done for the day and everything else will still be displayed just fine and so would your work emails when you switched them back on the next morning.
  23. barnyr's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    #23  

    Default

    If your company is not running a BES then how can they see the personal data on your phone and restrict applications? I thought exchange could simply wipe the device or deny access.

Similar Threads

  1. BB10 Bridge Features?
    By rolltide78 in forum News & Rumors
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 01:58 PM
  2. What Will Be BB10s Flagship Feature?
    By SteakArmstrong in forum BlackBerry 10 OS
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-25-2012, 01:46 PM
  3. BB10 Camera Feature - Auto Tag
    By araskin in forum Rumored Devices
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-03-2012, 12:04 AM
  4. Will you still love BB10 without key OS7 features?
    By gkl in forum BlackBerry 10 OS
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-09-2012, 08:18 AM
  5. Whats Your Dream's Feature That You Hope To Be In BB10 ?
    By MikeSalem91 in forum BlackBerry 10 OS
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-07-2012, 09:08 AM

Posting Permissions