Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BB10 "airplay"

The one (and probably the only) thing I love about my iphone is airplay.

In iOS7 I am able to airplay any music app (spotify,rad.io, etc) I want just by the control center.

BB10's stock music app allows the same thing via DLNA (I think) and you can utilise this function in the music app then go to "now playing" then "play on" ( and it works pretty well but I cant seem to find any other apps native or android which allows me to stream music wirelessly to my home amplifier.

Is this because the api is closed?

For example the native rad.io app does not have this functionality.

Differentiate or Die
    Last edited by Q10Nutter; 07-10-2014 at 07:35 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    21572cf4

Apples or play only works with apple hardware and has inconsistent lag. You will ha e to check the instructions that came with your speaker to see if it is DNLA compliant.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Addict

Or buy a good quality hi-fi Bluetooth receiver for 20-30 bucks, I recommend the one from Phillips ( AEA2500 )
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by DaDaDogg View Post
    Or buy a good quality hi-fi Bluetooth receiver for 20-30 bucks, I recommend the one from Phillips ( AEA2500 )
    Quote Originally Posted by Yandar View Post
    Apples or play only works with apple hardware and has inconsistent lag. You will ha e to check the instructions that came with your speaker to see if it is DNLA compliant.

Posted via CB10
    Im sorry I wasnt clear. Ive edited the OP for clarity.

My Q10 is capable of wireless streaming of music from device to my supported DLNA enabled amplifier. This is done through BB10's music app using a feature called "play on".

I am wondering why other apps native or android have not utilised this function.

It would be very useful for pandora, spotify, rad.io, etc.

Differentiate or Die
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    520 Global Posts

It's not exactly airplay...

But I know apps like, Sound cloud, spotify, ministry of sound with all play on other devices using Bluetooth... Maybe get some Bluetooth speakers?

Sorry for Ignoring your question about the API but I really don't know the answer to that.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Addict

I'm assuming that the android apps don't have that kind of network access but not sure about the native app problems, what apps are those?
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by DaDaDogg View Post
    I'm assuming that the android apps don't have that kind of network access but not sure about the native app problems, what apps are those?
    Well a good example is rad.io for BlackBerry 10. Its a native app and its very good but it is missing the "play on" feature which the stock BB10 music app has.

Rad.io for iOS however has airplay enabled and is working fine.

Its not that BB10 OS is not capable of an "airplay" like feature because it does have it as proven on the stock BB10 music app, but for some reason the 3rd party app developers are not using it or unable to probably due to a closed api or something.

Differentiate or Die
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Abernethy View Post
    It's not exactly airplay...

But I know apps like, Sound cloud, spotify, ministry of sound with all play on other devices using Bluetooth... Maybe get some Bluetooth speakers?

Sorry for Ignoring your question about the API but I really don't know the answer to that.

Posted via CB10
    I understand that its not exactly airplay that why I put it in inverted commas.

The "play on" feature works, as you said, fine over bluetooth devices. I have a TDK TREK which works wonderfully with my Q10 using all apps mentioned but for some reason its not doing the same over wifi. But id really like it if I could stream rad.io or spotify over wifi in the same way that the BB10 music app is able to do.

Differentiate or Die
    CrackBerry User

It would be nice if the play on feature was available in the browser so YouTube videos could be played on a smart tv.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

I mentioned this in another thread.. I would love a way to route all audio via x (WiFi or Bluetooth) . This could be a share option or built into the app menu. Don't see why it would be difficult just a switch routing to Bluetooth instead of the speaker or aux port. Can somebody suggest st this on the ican website lol
    CrackBerry Abuser

Doesn't BlackBerry make a Bluetooth music gateway just for this particular scenario?

Posted via CB10