I am no computer whiz, but was wondering whether Blend would work on my work computer which uses the OS
    Centos 6.3
    Gnome 2.28.2
    Kernel Linux 2.6.32

Whatever all that means :-)

Thanks

Posted via Digicel Z10 10.2.1.2977
    10-08-14 02:40 PM
    I'm just going to say this, if you're not a computer wiz, you shouldn't be using Linux. Saying in a nice tone.
    Answer to your question is no, but there are ways around this.
    10-08-14 04:34 PM
    No Blend or Link on Linux.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 04:36 PM
    I'm just going to say this, if you're not a computer wiz, you shouldn't be using Linux. Saying in a nice tone.
    What ways are you talking about?

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z30
    10-08-14 04:59 PM
    People have tried Wine already, no luck. Doubt VM would work with Link.

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-08-14 05:10 PM
    Let me clarify, I have an IT guy set it up to use with "pick" it handles my inventory across my warehouses and POS and it's decent enough I use open office for my office programs (writing letters and basic stuff) and It uses Firefox and chrome as my browsers so I can use my Gmail, outlook handles my company email through my website.

I was just looking to download it to my desktop at work.

Home is a Win 7 machine so I know I will have no problems there.

That said thanks for the responses
    Regards David

10-08-14 05:23 PM
    Bit harsh saying you have to be a wiz to use linux. Its actually a very intuitive simple OS if you want to use it out the box. Granted, like a BLackberry many apps don't get made for it. Making windows applications work on Linux is fairly complicated although possible in many cases.
    For the benefit of the original poster, wine is software on linux that emulates windows so you can install windows programs on a Linux machine. Think of it a bit like the Android runtime on your BB phone which allows you to install Android apps. However, tbis is a scaled down version of windows just like the runtime on the phone so things don't always work flawlessly and in many cases not at all. In the case of Linux unless you are skilled at finding the files that are preventing the software working it's a major task.
    "VM" that was mentioned earlier is a Virtual Machine. You side off some space on your hard drive which you can install a windows operating system in. This is pretty much a full operating system identical to a windows install. You can install any windows program in it and it will work.

I'm assuming this computer isn't yours so don't know if that's a possibilty. I actually have a windows installation on my Linux computer which is only there to run 3 or four Programs that I can't get running in Wine. If you want to do that you will need to acquire a windows disc.

I'm feeling your pain, its been a problem for many years for me. Fair to say its highly unlikely that Blackberry will ever make software which is Linux compatible. Although the market share is steadily increasing even the vast majority of major software players don't make it either. Maybe get a cheap laptop with windows preinstalled.

Link does work if you use the windows install method in VM.
    10-08-14 05:43 PM
    BlackBerry makes software compatible with Linux... Android has a Linux kernel and Blend is built for these tablets.
    I assume you can run the Android version of Blend if you can install the correct runtime on your Linux.
    10-08-14 05:55 PM
    I wonder if you could emulate android and use the android version of blend?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 06:21 PM
    Yes you can. http://xmodulo.com/how-to-install-an...re-player.html it's something I will be messing about with when 10
    3 comes to my Z10.
    Those will probably be the two options. A scaled down copy of XP to run the windows version or Android both in VM. I did try 3.4 android before in vm when I was trying to download APK to convert for the playbook which sort of worked :/ I'm guessing the windows route will be the least problematic.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 02:58 AM
    BlackBerry makes software compatible with Linux... Android has a Linux kernel and Blend is built for these tablets.
    I assume you can run the Android version of Blend if you can install the correct runtime on your Linux.
    Android apps is not native code! They run under an Java VM (Dalvik) and tightly integrated with their custom kernel (isn't designed for PC). No runtime can make Android Apps run on PC

Z10 - 10.3 - STL 100-1
    10-09-14 10:02 AM
    Yes you can. http://xmodulo.com/how-to-install-an...re-player.html it's something I will be messing about with when 10
    3 comes to my Z10.
    Those will probably be the two options. A scaled down copy of XP to run the windows version or Android both in VM. I did try 3.4 android before in vm when I was trying to download APK to convert for the playbook which sort of worked :/ I'm guessing the windows route will be the least problematic.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think I read somewhere that windows XP isn't supported and Blend can't run on it without a bunch of DLLs.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 12:37 PM
    Android apps is not native code! They run under an Java VM (Dalvik) and tightly integrated with their custom kernel (isn't designed for PC). No runtime can make Android Apps run on PC
    I forgot the VM word (virtualbox, vmware, ...). Android x86 works pretty well and I'm sure Blend for Android also.
    10-09-14 02:10 PM
    The previous Android version installed on virtuabox on Ubuntu 12.04 for me but I didn't get too far into it. 14.04 came out shortly after and I haven't installed any VM on it yet.

I have xp running on a notebook in vm which I used for link and wiping and reinstalling My PB and phone but link is so pants I hardly use it anymore.

Since discovering bar install I now load android ports onto my PB with my z10. So I rarely need windows. If blend doesn't work on xp looks like I'll have to lay my hands on a copy of 7.

That's what I thought the point of blend being accessed via the browser was all about so it would just work whatever you have, never mind.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 02:40 PM
    How did you build Blend in a browser ? Either it needs a local server (same thing as now), either it means the ressources are on a central server... we don't want that last one !
    10-09-14 04:35 PM
    If I remember right at the time Blackberry were saying that Blend would work on anything with a html5. browser.
    10-09-14 05:07 PM
    I am a RHEL 7 User and would like to Blend on my laptop!
    Hope BlackBerry will someday support linux.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 08:49 PM
    I haven't run Blend, but I just viewed the video describing the features. If you use imap for your email, you don't need that feature from Blend. You can read your BlackBerry 10 device using SMB. So it looks like all Blend would add is BBM and calendar sync.

For security reasons, I don't link up devices on a whim. I'm not all that sure I would run Blend even if it was available on Linux. BlackBerry Link on Linux would be more useful. I have to boot a windows box for backups.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 12:11 AM
    I am no computer whiz, but was wondering whether Blend would work on my work computer which uses the OS
    Centos 6.3
    Gnome 2.28.2
    Kernel Linux 2.6.32

Whatever all that means :-)

Thanks

CentOS is kind of odd on a desktop.

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm likes this.
    10-10-14 12:13 AM
    Well I can use Blend and Link fine via VirtualBox on Linux.
    The only computer I have runs Linux and only Linux, the rest is virtualised.

Blend really is just a web browser though, so I wouldn't be surprised if they turn it in to some chrome extension.
    10-10-14 12:28 AM
    I'm just going to say this, if you're not a computer wiz, you shouldn't be using Linux.
    Wow, that's so two decades ago.
    11-08-14 02:23 AM
    Well I can use Blend and Link fine via VirtualBox on Linux.
    The only computer I have runs Linux and only Linux, the rest is virtualised.

Blend really is just a web browser though, so I wouldn't be surprised if they turn it in to some chrome extension.
    Please let that happen! We need Blend on Linux, XP, Vista, etc...
    11-08-14 02:23 AM
    Wow, that's so two decades ago.
    Gotta agree. I'm a long time Linux user, and I'm amazed at how ridiculously easy it is to admin, say, Ubuntu 14.

Thumb-flicked from my Z30 via CB10
    11-08-14 07:51 AM
    Please let that happen! We need Blend on Linux, XP, Vista, etc...
    I have it installed on a netbook I have floating around with XP Pro.

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.1.1016
    11-08-14 07:55 AM
    I have it installed on a netbook I have floating around with XP Pro.

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.1.1016
    Please share how you accomplished this! I can install under XP fine but then it fails on launch.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 06:06 PM
32 12