I didn't like the Q10 at first either. I had a 9900, then the Z10 (after a brief stint on an SGS3) and then played with Bla1ze's Q10 for a bit when he first got it. I love BB10, I loved my Z10, but something about the Q10 wasn't comfortable for me. I think my brain expected there to be a trackpad and buttons above the keyboard, since that's what I had used for years and years, and it wasn't natural for them to be missing.

HOWEVER... a few weeks later I got my own Q10. After spending a couple of days on it, I forgot all about the trackpad and buttons. I'm not even sure if I would remember how to use a 9900 at this point. I stayed on the Q10 a few weeks, and switched back to the Z10 for now because I missed the bigger screen.

Anyhow, I didn't read the whole thread. I got tired of the arguing after the first page. Just thought I'd share my story. BB10 isn't for everybody, that's true. But I agree that it can take some time to get used to it and be comfortable with it. And there's nothing wrong with that.
    eddy_berry and Thunderbuck like this.
    07-28-13 11:44 PM
    I�ve discovered that blow dryer are not build for me.... I wear a cleanhead.... cause shaver are invented for me...
    07-28-13 11:45 PM
    I found myself in love with blackberry for its emailing and keypad, so when it was time for me to think about stepping up from my 9930 I already knew it was the q10. However, after hearing different people who also made the leap from bb7 to 10 complain about the usability i decided that I may want to try out in store first. I've watched plenty of videos (Even crackberry) on operating the OS so I was very familiar with it but when I came hand to hand with bb10 it was not easy as it looked. Matter of fact it was very challenging. Even made consider the z10 over my original choice because bb10 seemed to work better on that device. Now don't confuse better as in worked perfect.. It was still hard as hell to operate. The navigating in and out of apps to the home screen was insane... I found myself swiping up to exit way too many times I thought my finger would melt to the screen. I was force to accept that bb10 is not for me and ended up with a s4.. I think Blackberry should reconsider having the back and menu physical buttons on their later phones. This may make the bb10 experience better and more user friendly... Remind you I watched the tutorials and everything unlike the regular Joe who may just walk in think he can just pick up and navigate thru a bb10 phone..
    Wow, that's too bad. I know it took a little getting used to, but I was happy moving from my 9900 to the Z10. After a couple of days, I was satisfied, after a month, I was amazed at the device for working and typing, even typing decent emails and messages with one hand, one thumb.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab, and I find the buttons frustrating. It's like the device can't decide whether it was meant for buttons or swipes. I just could never get used to that.

I would have recommended that you try the device for a week before switching platforms, just to be sure it wasn't for you. Also, if you do any moderate to heavy typing on your device, giving it that chance would have been good. I now simply cannot believe how good the Z10 keyboard is (I was a keyboard guy before on the 9900). I am in awe of its word suggestions and auto correct, as well as the accuracy of my typing, as well as single and multi-word delete with one swipe. I look at those other devices, and I don't know how anyone can do much typing on them. At least you have some options on Android, but they are not as good, in my opinion.
    07-28-13 11:49 PM
    Pick up a BB 10 phone if you have the following attitudes:

1- I don't want the latest and the best phone hardware.

Hardware alone means nothing. Apple have proven this. Android phones always have best specs on paper always leading the race to the bottom in terms of user experience.

2- I don't want many apps which make my life more enjoyable, productive, and convenient.

I had an iphone 5 with about 70 apps installed. I used 5, all of which are available on bb.

3- I only want a BB phone because it's the best phone out there.

?
    4- I love BB and want to support it by buying its shares and phones while the phone only costs $1 or FREE.

Not everyone has to like them. Ultimately the market will dictate whether BlackBerry survives or not. Some people would disagree with your assumption that the phones only cost $1??

Posted via Q10 goodness!!
    07-29-13 12:50 AM
    I dont know why I'm still having to make this point... I KNOW HOW THE BB10 WORKS AND NAVIGATION WORKS BY MOVING THRU IT WITHOUT BUTTONS BUT YOU CAN MOVE ALL YOU WANT IF THE DEVICE HAS YOU DOING THE SAME GESTURES REPEATEDLY BEFORE IT RESPONDS THEN IT CAN PUSH AWAY PEOPLE WHO MAY BE INTERESTED IN THE DEVICE
    I don't want to bash anyone, I'm on a mission to save humanity from its own ignorance. I don't care if this was a phone, a horse, a hairdryer, whatever.

What gets me is that you did the research, you watched videos, you read up, etc. You then went to a store, and when you couldn't replicate something that no doubt would have contradicted everything you watched and read what did you do? Instead of blaming the single piece of fallible equipment in front of you, you generalised they must all work this way. If you had tried 2-3 shopfront models and it all didn't work for you I'd say "you know what, that's fair enough, it's not for you, stick to Android".

As I said, I'm not bashing anyone, I'm no BB fanboi, I only just switched to BB. I'm a fanboi of common sense. And I wish it was a little more common...
    Last edited by BoyAndroid; 07-29-13 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Grammar check
    Undbiter65 and Captain_Hilts like this.
    07-29-13 01:06 AM
    I can confirm that the "demo" mode for BB10 devices are quite wonky and it can give the impression that it's unresponsive. That being said, I knew how the phone "should've" worked from all the videos leading up to the launch, and when I picked up the Z10 it did not disappoint one bit.

It is very intuitive, easy, basic, and simple - in fact, it's one of the reasons why I hate my z10 .

I'd assume that most people figure out how to use it within hours at most, certainly not days. How hard can it be: swipe up to minimize an app, swipe up and right to peek or go into Hub. That's about it - swiping down for settings is like the shade in Android, and swiping left/right is the same as on MacBooks. Are MacBooks so difficult to use - or do they have what's considered to be the best trackpad ever made for laptops? (it's full of gestures, more complex than on BB10) yet hundreds of thousands of people use MacBooks....

But yea, I do get it - you just don't like the UI and the flow experience. There's nothing inherently wrong with the OS or UI, some people just don't like it. But please don't say it's complicated to use b/c that's ridiculous. It's no more difficult to use than anroid, windows, or apple. People who say it's hard to figure out are simply lazy.

I find my gf's android phone difficult to use, but I know if I take an hour to figure it out it'll be pretty straightforward...
    07-29-13 02:20 AM
    I can confirm that the "demo" mode for BB10 devices are quite wonky and it can give the impression that it's unresponsive. That being said, I knew how the phone "should've" worked from all the videos leading up to the launch, and when I picked up the Z10 it did not disappoint one bit.

It is very intuitive, easy, basic, and simple - in fact, it's one of the reasons why I hate my z10 .

I'd assume that most people figure out how to use it within hours at most, certainly not days. How hard can it be: swipe up to minimize an app, swipe up and right to peek or go into Hub. That's about it - swiping down for settings is like the shade in Android, and swiping left/right is the same as on MacBooks. Are MacBooks so difficult to use - or do they have what's considered to be the best trackpad ever made for laptops? (it's full of gestures, more complex than on BB10) yet hundreds of thousands of people use MacBooks....

But yea, I do get it - you just don't like the UI and the flow experience. There's nothing inherently wrong with the OS or UI, some people just don't like it. But please don't say it's complicated to use b/c that's ridiculous. It's no more difficult to use than anroid, windows, or apple. People who say it's hard to figure out are simply lazy.

I find my gf's android phone difficult to use, but I know if I take an hour to figure it out it'll be pretty straightforward...
    I have written on other threads about how awful demo mode is. I did the same thing--prepared by watching tons of videos. But at the store, I was swiping everywhere with little results. I got very frustrated but took a chance and got the phone anyway. Love my Q10 now. Demo mode is terrible because you can't really execute anything.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 03:47 AM
    I loved my BB10 Z10 from the beginning but I had a Playbook before hand. I carry my 9900 as a work phone and I cannot tell you the number of times that I have swiped at it only to feel foolish inside. Swiping up and down and sideways made sense to me from the beginning. And I love the Z10 keyboard so that's icing on the cake. But I guess that is because everyone is different and why Baskin Robins has 31 flavors. There I go again with food analogies and have not even mentioned meatballs on this one.
    07-29-13 05:13 AM
    I have no clue how especially the swiping in and out of apps can be that hard. That's, according to all users and reviewers, the easiest and most convenient thing about BB10 at all. And then the S4? I just don't get it. What's so wrong with the HTC One? Why do all people like instantly buy S4s as soon as they're not pleased with their iPhone/Lumia/BB anymore?

UPDATE:
    Just my experience concerning the "home-swipe":

When I first got my Z10 on April 12th, the home-swipe was very sensitive and never needed a second approach. But since the first OS update I made, it's different, up to today. BBRY has definitely changed something there, I had many OS, including many leaked versions on my Z10 so far but the upswipe never worked as good as on the built I purchased it with. Currently I'm rocking 10.1.0.4651, and indeed, especially when the keyboard is opened, it sometimes takes several swipes until it finally works, unless you do it slow and thoughtful right from the beginning. I don't know what it is but I wonder if they'll get this sorted out.
    07-29-13 06:22 AM
    I found myself in love with blackberry for its emailing and keypad, so when it was time for me to think about stepping up from my 9930 I already knew it was the q10. However, after hearing different people who also made the leap from bb7 to 10 complain about the usability i decided that I may want to try out in store first. I've watched plenty of videos (Even crackberry) on operating the OS so I was very familiar with it but when I came hand to hand with bb10 it was not easy as it looked. Matter of fact it was very challenging. Even made consider the z10 over my original choice because bb10 seemed to work better on that device. Now don't confuse better as in worked perfect.. It was still hard as hell to operate. The navigating in and out of apps to the home screen was insane... I found myself swiping up to exit way too many times I thought my finger would melt to the screen. I was force to accept that bb10 is not for me and ended up with a s4.. I think Blackberry should reconsider having the back and menu physical buttons on their later phones. This may make the bb10 experience better and more user friendly... Remind you I watched the tutorials and everything unlike the regular Joe who may just walk in think he can just pick up and navigate thru a bb10 phone..
    This is a good point that BlackBerry should take seriously. This 10 interface is not very intuitive. I think this is costing sales. It would not take a lot to add a "back" button that ALWAYS worked.

BlackBerry should also get the display units updated to current OS version. This may require sending BlackBerry employees out to the stores to do it. The store sales people can't be relied on to do it

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 06:56 AM
    I have no clue how especially the swiping in and out of apps can be that hard. That's, according to all users and reviewers, the easiest and most convenient thing about BB10 at all. And then the S4? I just don't get it. What's so wrong with the HTC One?
    The HTC One is an awesome phone, if I had to have Android, that would be the choice. Not sure why everyone instantly gravitates to Samsung...their hardware is so average and the so called intuitive features they pack in are nothing more than glorified bloatware.
    07-29-13 06:56 AM
    The HTC One is an awesome phone, if I had to have Android, that would be the choice. Not sure why everyone instantly gravitates to Samsung...their hardware is so average and the so called intuitive features they pack in are nothing more than glorified bloatware.
    Yeah I mean also the One has its shortcomings I personally wouldn't like (the bulkier hardware, the sensitive aluminum, bad reception), but most people other than me won't care about this. I just have the feeling that most S4 buyers just go for it because it's popular and many other people chose it, too. This industry is totally driven by brand awareness, recognition and mindshare. With the S2 back in the day Samsung really made the first mass market dent within the Android universe and since then they just harvest the Galaxy S brand. Not to say Galaxy S phones are bad, but most SGS users I know clearly have no clue what's exactly good about them and how it's different to the competition. It's just always the same, day in, day out: young girls purchasing white Galaxy S handsets because "Samsung is cool somehow, Apple sucks". Bang - one of the most successful expensive high-tech phones is born.
    07-29-13 07:31 AM
    Yeah I mean also the One has its shortcomings I personally wouldn't like (the bulkier hardware, the sensitive aluminum, bad reception), but most people other than me won't care about this. I just have the feeling that most S4 buyers just go for it because it's popular and many other people chose it, too. This industry is totally driven by brand awareness, recognition and mindshare. With the S2 back in the day Samsung really made the first mass market dent within the Android universe and since then they just harvest the Galaxy S brand. Not to say Galaxy S phones are bad, but most SGS users I know clearly have no clue what's exactly good about them and how it's different to the competition. It's just always the same, day in, day out: young girls purchasing white Galaxy S handsets because "Samsung is cool somehow, Apple sucks". Bang - one of the most successful expensive high-tech phones is born.
    But isn't this what most people on here want BlackBerry to be? A popular phone that people just buy. "Blackberry is great and other phones suck."

My wife switched from a legacy device to the S4. It wasn't for coolness but that it was the easiest touchscreen for her to type on. It felt nice in her hands. It had a beautiful display. And I even agreed, a BlackBerry fan, that it felt nicer to hold than the Z10.

Why does it matter if people know why it is better or worse or different? As long as it works for someone, then I don't see a problem. We do this everyday with all kinds of purchases.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 08:38 AM
    After a review, I can see the OP had a stance, and made his statement, and has had the good and bad handed back to him in many ways. The personal attacks is where too many ran off the tracks. Thank you to those who kept to the topic at hand, but it has run its fair course.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 07-29-13 at 09:57 AM.
    toobs623 and diegonei like this.
    07-29-13 09:30 AM
164 ... 567