I found myself in love with blackberry for its emailing and keypad, so when it was time for me to think about stepping up from my 9930 I already knew it was the q10. However, after hearing different people who also made the leap from bb7 to 10 complain about the usability i decided that I may want to try out in store first. I've watched plenty of videos (Even crackberry) on operating the OS so I was very familiar with it but when I came hand to hand with bb10 it was not easy as it looked. Matter of fact it was very challenging. Even made consider the z10 over my original choice because bb10 seemed to work better on that device. Now don't confuse better as in worked perfect.. It was still hard as hell to operate. The navigating in and out of apps to the home screen was insane... I found myself swiping up to exit way too many times I thought my finger would melt to the screen. I was force to accept that bb10 is not for me and ended up with a s4.. I think Blackberry should reconsider having the back and menu physical buttons on their later phones. This may make the bb10 experience better and more user friendly... Remind you I watched the tutorials and everything unlike the regular Joe who may just walk in think he can just pick up and navigate thru a bb10 phone..
    dracolnyte likes this.
    07-27-13 03:23 PM
    Just as BBOS, Android, webOS, MeeGo, Linux, Windows Mobile, Windows CE, Windows Phone and iOS are not for everybody.

Different folks, different strokes. And BlackBerry won't ever be able to please everyone. Nobody ever will.

As much as we would love to see everyone join our side of the playground, I rather BlackBerry keeps moving forward than lose focus trying to be loved by everyone.

And welcome to the forums!
    Last edited by diegonei; 07-27-13 at 03:45 PM.
    07-27-13 03:26 PM
    Lol. BB10 platform took me less than a day to get a hold of. If you can't understand it don't even get a smartphone. Get a 2002 flip phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 03:29 PM
    I have a BB10 as my personal phone and a BB Curve for my work phone. I can tell you when I use my BB Curve, it feels weird as heck having to try and click on buttons for the menu, for the back, or the end call.
    Even the trackpad feels weird to use. I don't think I can ever go back to having physical buttons to call up menus or go back and such.

As many people have said, to each their own. It's all about preference and familiarity. For me BB10 is now very familiar and I can't go back.

They can perhaps have two lines of phones though. One that is touch gestures, and one that is physical button for menu/back. Though that would really cause them to lose focus and have their resources spread thin.
    SoloShaBerry likes this.
    07-27-13 03:31 PM
    Personally I wouldn't be able to learn a new smartphone or OS for that matter in such a short time. I was much more comfortable with my Q10 after a week or so and now I wouldn't have it any other way! Love it to death and wouldnt dream of going back to the 9900 or the 9780 or the 9300 or the 8330 or the 7520 or 7510 but I will keep my playbooks too! Again, that's just me!

Q10, 9900, 9780, 8330, 7520, 7510 And Playbook!
    07-27-13 03:35 PM
    Lol. BB10 platform took me less than a day to get a hold of. If you can't understand it don't even get a smartphone. Get a 2002 flip phone.

Posted via CB10
    Now now... Let's not flip on the OP, shall we?...
    DocDRM, yasmar, BK_NY_RAY and 9 others like this.
    07-27-13 03:40 PM
    Lol I don't think you were swiping correctly. You need to pay attention to the bezel that's around the screen. It's only after when you comprehend that you can flick freely. Good thing you at least gave it an entire minute prior to making the decision. Good hands on research!

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 03:45 PM
    More like 30 minutes funny guys... And the flip phone guy ha ha.. Like I said I familiarized myself with the os but hands on its just easier said than done. Glad some of you have be able to get it down but it shouldn't have to take a week to get down basically operation on a smartphone. I didn't come here to bash Blackberry
    07-27-13 03:52 PM
    Lol I don't think you were swiping correctly. You need to pay attention to the bezel that's around the screen. It's only after when you comprehend that you can flick freely. Good thing you at least gave it an entire minute prior to making the decision. Good hands on research!

Posted via CB10
    LOL yeah I was well aware of the screen area guess it just didn't want to flow freely when I flicked around.
    07-27-13 03:57 PM
    I would hate to ever have to deal with a home button. I love the swipes and I love love love the Z10 keyboard.

But as someone else said - no mobile platform will suit everyone. I would hate an S4 personally but I hope you enjoy it.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 04:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    Dude. The tutorial video was more than enough. Frankly, it was a matter of minutes for me. The OS is so intuitive.

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    07-27-13 04:52 PM
    I found myself in love with blackberry for its emailing and keypad, so when it was time for me to think about stepping up from my 9930 I already knew it was the q10. However, after hearing different people who also made the leap from bb7 to 10 complain about the usability i decided that I may want to try out in store first. I've watched plenty of videos (Even crackberry) on operating the OS so I was very familiar with it but when I came hand to hand with bb10 it was not easy as it looked. Matter of fact it was very challenging. Even made consider the z10 over my original choice because bb10 seemed to work better on that device. Now don't confuse better as in worked perfect.. It was still hard as hell to operate. The navigating in and out of apps to the home screen was insane... I found myself swiping up to exit way too many times I thought my finger would melt to the screen. I was force to accept that bb10 is not for me and ended up with a s4.. I think Blackberry should reconsider having the back and menu physical buttons on their later phones. This may make the bb10 experience better and more user friendly... Remind you I watched the tutorials and everything unlike the regular Joe who may just walk in think he can just pick up and navigate thru a bb10 phone..
    I used it. It is not that hard.
    07-27-13 05:26 PM
    With all due respect. I totally disagree with you. There is a learning curve, it's not as steep as it seems. Those display units have never worked the way they are supposed to for me. Who knows what hell they have been though sitting there for everyone to touch. The S4 definitely makes for a very good 5 minute display with all of the gimmicky features. I wonder how many times you will really answer a call by waving your hand over it. I have a Note 2 and while I liked the features in the beginning my stylus use has been none existent. It also has been demoted to a travel companion for my little one since the Z entered my life. But that's just my 2 pennies.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 06:00 PM
    I work for a telecom company that offers free, one-on-one lessons to new smartphone users. In the instructor position, I've taught every level of smartphone user, from pre-beginner to advanced, on all the smartphones available in our market. I can say VERY strongly that across the board, I see people having a much harder time adapting to the Q10 than any other device. Z10 seems to be much easier for people.

Now, that isn't to say people don't get the hang of it within a short amount of time. Within a week, usually, people coming back into the store note that they've got it now, and find it very fluid. But, it seems that the super short term tests (like just using one in store for 20 min or so) result in high levels of frustration on the Q10. The smaller screen size makes the bezel too intruding, in my opinion.

My best advice for anyone considering either device is that the Q10 offers a fantastic typing experience. But you WILL have to be patient with it for a week. Seeing as most carriers allow you to try a phone and switch it within 14 days, I suggest you bear with it for a while. The in-store experience WILL suck. Take it home. Use it for a while.

As well, I'll note that anyone looking for a BB10 experience who are initially frustrated with the Q10 should definatly try to Z10. It has its advantages and disadvantages, but my experience as an instructor has lead me to believe that it is easier to learn on.
    07-27-13 06:07 PM
    I work at a cell phone retailer and I can tell you that people just don't get it. The concept of not having buttons drives them nuts. Personally I would hate going back to buttons. I have had to use my 9900 for phone calls for a few weeks now (10.2 leaks) and it is sooo awkward to use. Now keep in mind I handle ios, android, legacy, bb10 and other operating systems daily. Plus a Windows phone every couple of weeks HA. Once you get used to using an os like bb10 everything else seems archaic. The problem is that people are just trained to use buttons. BlackBerry is well ahead of the curve when it comes to UI. The problem with being ahead of the curve is that people don't yet comprehend what you have done. What we have yet to see is if BlackBerry will lead a revolution in touch screen interface or if it is too far before it's time like web os. I think the time is ripe but I may be disgustingly wrong.

@OP it sounds like you have put in a fair bit of effort to learning how bb10 works. I really would suggest that you use a q or z for 10 days before making your decision. It's just muscle memory. You have to retrain the way your fingers move.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 06:16 PM
    Never used a Z10 until my brother bought one, I knew from CrackBerry how to immediately operate it and effortlessly showed him how to use it. It's not rocket science.
    07-27-13 06:21 PM
    As well, I'll note that anyone looking for a BB10 experience who are initially frustrated with the Q10 should definatly try to Z10. It has its advantages and disadvantages, but my experience as an instructor has lead me to believe that it is easier to learn on.
    I totally agree. I kinda think people should try the Z first and then if they want the physical keyboard they can switch to the Q. If you can use a Z already it is much easier to use the smaller bezel. Also, maybe you tell them this already but I find it very useful to tell people to make sure they touch their thumb to the keyboard before sliding up. Seems to make it a lot easier in on the brain.

Posted via CB10
    SoloShaBerry likes this.
    07-27-13 06:21 PM
    Can't remember who it was or what thread, but there was a video of a young guy, Asian, who was demoing some things on either a Z10 or a Q10 and he was flying through the OS. That video should be watched/shared so everyone can see how easy the swipes and flow are once you've spent a few days getting used to the phone.

OP - dare you to go back, swap for the Q10 (or Z10) and use it a few days. ESPECIALLY since you've used the S4 for a bit. Bet you'll see what we mean, and you'll keep the BB10 phone. Maybe it "shouldn't" work that way, but oh well, it just does get so easy after a few days.

Posted via CB10
    bilzomaniac and flyingsolid like this.
    07-27-13 06:36 PM
    I just walked out of best buy and I ran a little test and grabbed an s4 and typed a sentence as fast as I can on my z10 and it looked like another language. I used to swear I would never leave a physical keyboard like my 9930 but z10 convinced me otherwise. I swear I can just throw my fingers at the screen and it knows what I want to say!!!!

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 06:51 PM
    I'm used to the Playbook, so many of the swipe moves were already familiar with me. Sure, it took me a little time to become familiar with some things like the message hub, and I sometimes have problems with answering a call if I do it too fast. I'm also still finding new things (I love the interactive search to action feature). And I.still love having a keyboard.
    SoloShaBerry likes this.
    07-27-13 07:06 PM
    Maybe it was the phone at the store? I remember I was at Best BUy at the mall and I was playing with teh Z10. For some reason it wasn't working properly. Wasn't registering my swipes.

Until I tried to swipe up and it got all wonky and got stuck at the peek notification, (you know hte "transition" animation). That's when I decided to reboot the phone and everything was working fine.

So try going there, reboot the phone, and then start playing with it.

And remember, start swiping from the bezel, not the actual screen itself.
    profspeedo likes this.
    07-27-13 07:07 PM
    I agree it does take some getting used to It took me about 20 to 30 minutes to get used to it. After that time though I fell in love with the flow it was amazing. The q10 is my main phone now. It does take some getting used too, I can not blame you for feeling frustrated. I think the issues with getting used to gestures is a major reason many people return BB10. I do recommend giving it a little bit of time once you develop the muscle memory it is extremely rewarding and unbelievably fast. I cant explain it I just do things faster.
    SoloShaBerry likes this.
    07-27-13 07:28 PM
    Very similar to the beloved PlayBook, it's a great feeling to use the Z10. Your problems are just beginning with the S4, and if you don't care too much about security, go with the eye-candy. The Z10 is not about anything else but being productive, a natural companion to everything one does, it becomes a valued and poignant part of your life. You have time now to do the right thing and return that S4, and in the long run, the Z & Q will invariably be a positive thing for you.

www.blackberrynation.com
    SoloShaBerry likes this.
    07-27-13 07:29 PM
    Put BB10 and a Q10 or Z in the hands of an ex-9930 or iPhone or Android user and they will not know what in the world is going on with the phone. Absolutely nothing is user friendly to anyone coming from any system, including BB7, and that turns off a lot of potential BB converts. If a long time user of BB can't use the "new and improved BBOS", how is someone coming from iPhone supposed to decide to switch to BB? I'm not sure if it's sad or funny. Maybe both.
    07-27-13 07:39 PM
    It takes more than an in store playing around to get used to something other than having that pesky home/back button. Sadly, it ain't for everyone.. While others like something a little different, new and even challenging, others like their common stuff ... I'm surprise you got an S4. iPhone would have been way easier to use ... S4 is a better phone than an iPhone though..
    07-27-13 07:48 PM
164 123 ...