Nobody has said battery pulls are no longer needed.
    I don't know why some people feel the need to tell others what they think, and pass it off as fact.
    Read Michael Clewleys Twitter account.
    It's a fact that pulling the battery has soft bricked some devices. Mine included on the update before the MR one. Many have had their device stuck at 100% after device rebooted from an OS update. I had to reload the OS from link and lost what was on the device. I had a back up so all was good for me. The best thing to do is to just leave the device plugged in so the battery doesn't die.

For any other issue that would make people want to do a battery pull, do as was already mentioned by many and in this thread aswell. Just hold down the power button until the De ice starts back up and you see the blue BlackBerry logo.

Not sure why Clewey or anyone else for that matter would suggest doing a battery pull when it's proven that it can cause issue.

BlackBerry for life. Kick'n it with my Z10.
    08-03-13 02:13 PM
    OK,

So this seems to be a common item that is always popping up in the BB10 forums that whenever there is the slightest issue with the phone, that people are flipping there phones around popping off the cover and removing the battery.

It's well documented that this is not required with the QNX based system, and is probably responsible for a number of BB10 phones being either soft bricked or killed completely.

This can be proven by the fact that the A10 will be released with a permanent battery.

It would appear that old habits die hard and this was a common occurance in the legacy BBOS phones.

The proper way to reboot the BB10 devices is to push AND hold the power button until the blackberry logo in blue shows up and not before this is a complete reboot of the phone.

Pulling the battery halfway through a software reload, or while the OS is starting up, can damage the phone possibly to the point of unrecoverable so be careful if you have to replace the battery, shut down the phone and remove.

I sure hope this helps a few people avoid wrecking there phone or having major problems

It is no longer required

From the Zed of Rockivy
    Thank you for the great post. I have been posting many times on this issue so that hopefully it prevents others who haven't yet done a battery from doing so and possibly damaging their device or soft bricking it. Good job rockivy!!!

08-03-13 02:16 PM
    It's a fact that pulling the battery has soft bricked some devices. Mine included on the update before the MR one. Many have had their device stuck at 100% after device rebooted from an OS update. I had to reload the OS from link and lost what was on the device. I had a back up so all was good for me. The best thing to do is to just leave the device plugged in so the battery doesn't die.

For any other issue that would make people want to do a battery pull, do as was already mentioned by many and in this thread aswell. Just hold down the power button until the De ice starts back up and you see the blue BlackBerry logo.

Not sure why Clewey or anyone else for that matter would suggest doing a battery pull when it's proven that it can cause issue.

A battery pull while switching sims or if things are sluggish hasn't bricked anyone.
    A battery pull during a system update or when it clearly says do not turn off the device?
    That's a bit different, no?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-03-13 02:29 PM
    A battery pull while switching sims or if things are sluggish hasn't bricked anyone.
    A battery pull during a system update or when it clearly says do not turn off the device?
    No.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-13 04:56 PM
    The only time the battery should be removed is when the device is turned off.

trsbbs likes this.
    08-03-13 05:20 PM

Tell Clewley.
    08-03-13 05:59 PM
    No.

Posted via CB10
    Actually it is. Shame you can't see the difference. I can't make it clearer.
    BravoZuluDelta likes this.
    08-03-13 06:00 PM

Nope, having spoken with my carrier, whome I assume were either briefed or had the manual for the Z10, during several instances I was advised to perform the reset by pulling out the battery whilst the phone was on, in none of these instances was the phone in the middle of downloading an update which I think would obviously risk bricking the phone as common sense would tell you that taking the battery out when the phone is building the software is not a good thing. However I have found and have been told, and this is on other posts that like older devices, after a whole, the OS without a soft reboot via taking out the battery. May get luggish. Even if you can do it without taking the battery I think people feel safer and more secure when they can take the battery out rather than pressing buttons, since as long as the battery is out there is no guarantee that all power is cut from the phone.. so no its not NECESSARY, but it doesn't cause harm when done properly may be DESIRABLE..

Kind Regards, Tino Chiko C0008DDD1 TechCraze!
    08-03-13 06:01 PM
    Nope, having spoken with my carrier, whome I assume were either briefed or had the manual for the Z10, during several instances I was advised to perform the reset by pulling out the battery whilst the phone was on, in none of these instances was the phone in the middle of downloading an update which I think would obviously risk bricking the phone as common sense would tell you that taking the battery out when the phone is building the software is not a good thing. However I have found and have been told, and this is on other posts that like older devices, after a whole, the OS without a soft reboot via taking out the battery. May get luggish. Even if you can do it without taking the battery I think people feel safer and more secure when they can take the battery out rather than pressing buttons, since as long as the battery is out there is no guarantee that all power is cut from the phone.. so no its not NECESSARY, but it doesn't cause harm when done properly may be DESIRABLE..

Just watch this, it'll explain WHY battery pulls are a bad idea

It's probably about half way through

Posted via CB10
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    08-03-13 06:18 PM
    ^ Thanks Kris, for clearing that up, much appreciated..

Rockivy

From the Zed of Rockivy
    08-03-13 06:38 PM
    ^ Thanks Kris, for clearing that up, much appreciated..

Rockivy

From the Zed of Rockivy
    This

Maybe that link should go in its own post and get stickied.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-13 07:01 PM
    This

Maybe that link should go in its own post and get stickied.

Posted via CB10
    It is in its own

Posted via CB10

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=835371
    08-03-13 07:05 PM
    9 second mark. I know that unimpressed look LOL
    08-03-13 07:24 PM
    Anyone have a timestamp for when he explains it?
    Don't really fancy going through a 36 minute video, specially with everyone else sleeping and the sound all over the place between each speaker.
    08-03-13 07:30 PM
    How long did you hold

Posted via CB10
    How long should you hold? I held them longer than I had to reboot via power button

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    08-03-13 09:03 PM
    How long should you hold? I held them longer than I had to reboot via power button

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    Watch the video above, I demo it

Posted via CB10
    08-03-13 09:22 PM
    Don't really fancy going through a 36 minute video, specially with everyone else sleeping and the sound all over the place between each speaker.
    He did, about half way.

From the Zed of Rockivy
    08-03-13 09:45 PM
    11:00

But you should watch it all. It is an informative look behind the scenes.

Posted via CB10 using a Dev Alpha C running 10.2
    08-03-13 10:01 PM
    Just watch this, it'll explain WHY battery pulls are a bad idea

It's probably about half way through

Posted via CB10
    Did we watch the same video? He says like I said they are no longer NECESSARY , and it terms of damage it's all potential, and like I said that increases if you do it when software is building e.g. update or loading an OS, however he admits to using the method himself, twice, so it is somewhat desirable in certain circumstances, you don't hear people complain about iPhone because as far as I know there never was an iPhone with a removable battery, so people just had to deal with it, personally I have no problem with a non removable battery, but then again, this is my first time using BlackBerry full time, before it was just a curve on the side of an iPhone so I'm used to it. I understand others may not be, but I'm sure they will just deal with it wants they understand more about it. Or stick with the Z10/Q10 for life, I would also note that NOT removing the battery can also potentially cause harm in certain circumstances i.e if your phone is rapidly increasing in heat, will you hold down buttons for ages or just throw the back of and take the battery out? And one last point in the comparison with other OS, with iphone it takes a few seconds of holding down power button and home button to reset, plus you don't get a print screen, if BB10 can make it more efficient, then I think less people would complain..

08-04-13 05:26 AM
    Did we watch the same video? He says like I said they are no longer NECESSARY , and it terms of damage it's all potential, and like I said that increases if you do it when software is building e.g. update or loading an OS, however he admits to using the method himself, twice, so it is somewhat desirable in certain circumstances, you don't hear people complain about iPhone because as far as I know there never was an iPhone with a removable battery, so people just had to deal with it, personally I have no problem with a non removable battery, but then again, this is my first time using BlackBerry full time, before it was just a curve on the side of an iPhone so I'm used to it. I understand others may not be, but I'm sure they will just deal with it wants they understand more about it. Or stick with the Z10/Q10 for life, I would also note that NOT removing the battery can also potentially cause harm in certain circumstances i.e if your phone is rapidly increasing in heat, will you hold down buttons for ages or just throw the back of and take the battery out? And one last point in the comparison with other OS, with iphone it takes a few seconds of holding down power button and home button to reset, plus you don't get a print screen, if BB10 can make it more efficient, then I think less people would complain..

I'm pretty sure we watched the same video, after all, I'm the one discussing it

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 07:20 AM
    If there isn't an official BlackBerry bulletin... it didn't happen.

#GetWithBB10 Channel @ C000D7228
    08-04-13 07:57 AM

Maybe we didn't. He said he did it for two weeks before he broke himself of the habit. He ends by saying it should only be used as a last resort. The battery swelling under the cover, or the phone on fire would qualify. An application reappearing after deletion, or slow mail delivery doesn't.

Potential x frequency = occurance rate. How many of the strange problems people are reporting, that aren't fixed until they wipe and reinstall are the result of inconsistent file systems caused by battery pulls?

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 10:51 AM
    I just realized that since the last MR update holding both volume keys at the same time will no longer reset the phone. I used that many times before but it looks like since the update that has been disabled. So now just holding the power button in is the only way to do a reset. That is besides a battery pull which I have never had to do!
    I can still used the volume keys to restart my phone even after the MR update.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 02:10 PM
48 12