Interesting article. Looks like it's Android all the way for BlackBerry. BB10 just will not be able to be sustained by a user base less than that of Windows phones.

Update: Windows smartphone shipments nose-dive after strategic retreat | Computerworld

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 08:00 PM
    "Gartner, however, argued that there was still a place for Windows phones, even with Microsoft's downsized goals. Cozza pointed to enterprises as an example of a market better suited to Windows 10 Mobile and Microsoft's revamped strategy." - from your link.

Still won't stop me from going to W10 phone if BlackBerry officially EOLs BB10. I am not the only around here, either.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 08:10 PM
    "Gartner, however, argued that there was still a place for Windows phones, even with Microsoft's downsized goals. Cozza pointed to enterprises as an example of a market better suited to Windows 10 Mobile and Microsoft's revamped strategy." - from your link.

Still won't stop me from going to W10 phone if BlackBerry officially EOLs BB10. I am not the only around here, either.

Posted via CB10
    I'm with u on that, just won't be Windows though.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 09:22 PM
    Out of the kettle and into the fire.

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on the mighty Qued! - Channel C003DAB77
    11-18-15 10:26 PM
    I don't understand how the people prefer Android. A friend has bought a Zenfone 2, after only 2 months has become slow and Wi-Fi is not working correctly. He is forced to reset.
    No he don't have any root and don't any particular things. Play the game, WhatsApp, Browser etc.

Another one have a Samsung and has switched to Windows Phone. He is really happy because finally don't need to reset the smartphone every 2 months.

It's really like the people like the s***. Which is the sense to have all apps, if my smartphone is become slow and unusable after only 2 months?
    And maybe can damage my personal life, because become unresponsive forced me to lose time to fix the problems etc.

I understand we are an �lite, but i don't understand how people can live with a smartphone that instead of make your life more easy, make your life more hard! Instead of help to connect with the people, forced you to reset etc. etc.
    11-19-15 03:30 AM
    From the article:

"communication technology firm Ericsson said that of the Windows smartphone owners who bought a new device each month, just 19% to 20% stuck with the OS. The rest fled for Android or iOS, with the majority -- 55% to 63%, depending on the timing -- switching to an Android device."

You buy a Windows phone, you realize the apps you need aren't available or haven't been updated in a long time, so you move to an app ecosystem that has the apps you need. This happened to BB10, and is now happening to Windows phone. It doesn't matter how good the OS is, if the app ecosystem isn't there, most aren't going to stick around for long.

MS tried to mitigate the app problem by throwing money at developers to make the popular apps. This worked only in the first round. Since MS didn't gain much of a mobile market share, there is no incentive for devs to now update those apps. To have those apps be updated, MS would have to keep paying devs to do so. It didn't work the first time around and it won't work subsequent times. And an outdated app is almost as useless as no app at all.

BB eventually understood this predicament, hence them going Android (the apps are there)

- BB10 is an awesome OS, but the apps aren't there, so people don't buy this phone.
    - Win Mobile might be a good OS (as some claim), but the apps aren't there, so people don't buy this phone.
    - iOS is an irritating, locked-down, walled-garden of BS, but the apps are there, so people buy this phone
    - Android might not be as functional as BB10, but the apps are there, so people buy this phone.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    11-19-15 04:54 AM
    I have also a MS phone, the Lumia 640....It works good, but there are less apps than in BlackBerry World. And the quality of our apps is much better in average. Then in MS apps u will see a lot of disturbing advertisement....I have no idea how it will be Win 10mobile, but they have to change many things in order to reach a good overall functionality!

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 05:07 AM
    I bounce back and forth between my Z10 and HTC One M8 running Windows 10.

I love BB10, but the end is coming. Looks like I'll be using my Z10 until it's death and hopefully Windows will still be around.

I do gotta say that the cross syncing between desktop W10, mobile W10, and One Drive is amazing.

But no one beats the email and hub functionality that BB10 offers. If only I could have the hub on a W10 OS...
    11-19-15 05:30 AM
    Well...of course Windows shipped fewer phones Q3 as several are EOL and MSFT introduced new Windows 10 devices in October. New Lumia 950 hits the ATT stores Nov 20 and pre-orders started shipping on the 17th. The larger 950 XL is only available directly from MSFT, for now . These appear to be exceptional devices but that doesn't guarantee success.

For now, it seems the MSFT effort to make the new Lumia run Android apps has failed. The app gap, if not corrected, could be the downfall for Lumia, in spite of a great camera, iris recognition, Continuum, Quad HD display, and more.

I've got a spare, rarely used VZW device and am leaning towards opening an ATT business account tomorrow, porting the VZW number, and walking out with the 950.

For now, I'm firmly committed to NOT owning an Android device. Don't need their plethora of apps. I'd rather have a mini Windows 10 computer on my hip and that's what the new Lumia devices seem to offer.

CB10 VZW Z10 OS 10.3.2.858
    wolfee48 likes this.
    11-19-15 07:34 AM