Hi,

I have a question to which I expect the answer is it isn't possible but thought I'd ask. Is there a certificate or something on the device I can back up that will allow me to play my movies I purchase from BlackBerry World if something catastrophic happened with the OS and I had to do a fresh install. I'd like to back them up on my pc and know if I have refreshed my device from scratch I can copy them back and watch again since I've paid for them which I've tested and can't. I don't really want to keep downloading since you only get 5 dl's.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 02:51 PM
    If you copy off and copy back, I don't believe they work.
    I know they don't work when you copy them off to another device.
    Downloading is the way to go
    04-19-14 02:54 PM
    Hi,

I have a question to which I expect the answer is it isn't possible but thought I'd ask. Is there a certificate or something on the device I can back up that will allow me to play my movies I purchase from BlackBerry World if something catastrophic happened with the OS and I had to do a fresh install. I'd like to back them up on my pc and know if I have refreshed my device from scratch I can copy them back and watch again since I've paid for them which I've tested and can't. I don't really want to keep downloading since you only get 5 dl's.

Posted via CB10
    I'd suggest that when you download movies from BB World, you specify to have them saved to your mSD card. BB World > Settings > General Settings. Toggle "Save to Memory Card" to ON. Then, as long as you don't lose the card, or unless it becomes corrupted, your downloaded movies (and music) are safe. I did this with my Z10 when the option became available, and have swapped that card back and forth from device to device a number of times. No issues at all.
    04-19-14 03:00 PM
    I'm pretty sure that if you pay for a movie you can DL it to your device as many times as you want. Someone may correct me, but that five device limit just indicates how many devices you can download to.

@BruvvaPete :Channel: C0012176F. Live well
    04-19-14 03:03 PM
    I've downloaded movies and moved them to a flash drive. When I plug it directly into my Z30, it can still play them without a problem. However, I seem to remember having to re-download them if I update the OS (I usually do a clean install with a security wipe).

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 05:14 PM
    Yes this is exactly the issue I had it says you can download on up to 5 devices but it appears it should say five times as I downloaded one film five different times on the same device after refreshing OS and after that couldn't dl again. Guess only way is to update non destructive I assume the licence info stays then?

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 08:16 AM
    Did you actually download the movie 5 times or just the license?
    I have had to download my license each time I have updated my OS. Definitely more than 5 times

STL-4. 10.2.1.2947 w/ 1259 clock
    04-20-14 08:21 AM
    Movie itself I believe as it wouldn't play after the OS install and didn't offer me an option to download the licence?

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 08:42 AM
    Here is my experience as I have run into this issue repeatedly.

Yes you can save off BlackBerry store movies from your phone. They are DRM protected WMV files. If you use BlackBerry Link to do it, it only grabs the WMV file, ignoring the folder icon graphic file and any text file that has information about the movie.

What you can't copy off, or at least I haven't found a way, is the "license file" for the movie as that seems to placed somewhere else in the OS. A BlackBerry Link backup of your phone will NOT capture these license files, so if you wipe you phone in any way you will need to re-download them from the BlackBerry store.

If you copy the DRM protected WMV files back from your computer to your BlackBerry device and try to play it, your device will tell you it doesn't have the license file. If the movie is still in the BlackBerry store then you can just download the "license file", thus saving yourself the time it takes to re-download the movie.

Re-downloading the movie is not a bad idea, except for the time it takes to download, because you always get the movie icon graphic and any associated index files.

If the movie is no longer in the BlackBerry Store, than as far as I can tell you are SOL. For example I have on my Z10 the recent cartoon movie Epic that I purchased from the BlackBerry store that opens up and plays fine. However nothing I can do glean get the license file on my Z30 to play it because the movie is gone from the BlackBerry store and i can't get at the license file on my Z10 to move it over.

I bought a number of movies during the holidays because they were dirt cheap. Now I can't play 5 of them on my Z30 because they are no longer in the BlackBerry Store. My requests for help on getting the license file for them from the BlackBerry forums have gone have unanswered. As a result I won't be buying any DRM protected media from BlackBerry anymore because I would be passed if I bought a movie for $20, but can't play it in a year when I move to a new device simply because the movie is no longer listed on the BlackBerry store.

BlackBerry really needs to give us a way to port our license files between devices w/o needing the BlackBerry store.

Posted via CB10 via Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2947
    Last edited by HotFix; 04-20-14 at 10:06 AM.
    04-20-14 09:50 AM
    After doing a wipe and losing a couple of BlackBerry World movies, I won't buy any again. Fortunately they were the Christmas sale movies, it's only a couple of dollars, but if they were full priced I'd freak out.

I don't trust BlackBerry world for movies anymore at all. Maybe I'd rent one, but never buy again unless they fix this problem.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-14 09:58 AM
    Movie itself I believe as it wouldn't play after the OS install and didn't offer me an option to download the licence?

Posted via CB10
    It doesn't offer the option, you go through the motion if downloading the movie but it completes and is ready in about 15 seconds rather than the 5-6 mins it takes to download a whole movie

STL-4. 10.2.1.2947 w/ 1259 clock
    04-21-14 10:45 PM