After reading various posts about backing up before updating your OS, I have to ask how to go about it because I've been an OS 10 user for only 3 months and don't see anything in the settings menu.

I'm not a fan of saving to the cloud in general. I could not get Link to install on my PC with Windows XP. I'm fine with moving music and photos to a memory card. I use Remember everyday (better than Post-its everywhere) but don't see a way to preserve my notes. Guys, I'm lost when I read about restoring data after security wipes. What do I need to know? Thanks.
    02-23-15 03:46 PM
    After reading various posts about backing up before updating your OS, I have to ask how to go about it because I've been an OS 10 user for only 3 months and don't see anything in the settings menu.

I'm not a fan of saving to the cloud in general. I could not get Link to install on my PC with Windows XP. I'm fine with moving music and photos to a memory card. I use Remember everyday (better than Post-its everywhere) but don't see a way to preserve my notes. Guys, I'm lost when I read about restoring data after security wipes. What do I need to know? Thanks.
    A BlackBerry requires a "computer" to be connected via BlackBerry's LINK program to do a full backup.....

You can manually save pictures and documents... you can use a 3rd Party App to back up some items.... But without a full backup you will lose a lot of info if an update fails in some way. Or if you need to downgrade your OS..
    dbq10 likes this.
    02-23-15 03:55 PM
    I'm able to USB-transfer my photos and music because my PC recognizes my Q10 as a drive. But I don't know what's involved in a full backup and how to go about it.
    02-23-15 04:10 PM
    BlackBerry Link is needed to backup on either Windows or Mac computers. As you stated that you are running Windows XP, which btw is not supported by Link, you will have to find a third party app that can backup data from the device to the SD card.

Or update your computer to run Windows 7 at minimum.
    02-23-15 06:47 PM
    Do we know for sure Link doesn't work on XP?

You shouldn't be using XP since it is no longer supported, but I understand people have financial constraints and still to their old PCs.

I think in general you will have a hard time maintaining your BlackBerry without a computer. If all goes well, you can use OTA updates, but often all doesn't go well. (A problem not unique to BlackBerry. )

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 11:07 PM
    The PC gets replaced later this year and in the mean time the good old BB Desktop Manager still works. Is link really a better way to update versus WiFi? Does it backup system data to your PC?
    02-24-15 12:07 PM
    The PC gets replaced later this year and in the mean time the good old BB Desktop Manager still works. Is link really a better way to update versus WiFi? Does it backup system data to your PC?
    I didn't think bb10 phones work with the old Desktop Manager.

I don't use wifi. I use usb. Link like manager creates a backup on your hard drive.

Posted via CB10
    dbq10 likes this.
    02-24-15 03:04 PM
    I didn't think bb10 phones work with the old Desktop Manager.

Posted via CB10
    Correct. The legacy Desktop Manager doesn't "see" BB10 devices.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.1.2072
    02-24-15 03:37 PM
    When you have link installed on your PC it provides a method for backing up your BlackBerry's data, settings, etc. You have to connect the BlackBerry to the PC using the USB cable provided with your BlackBerry.

I hope that clarifies things a little.

Of course, if you're not concerned about backing up thingss like app data, old messages, etc. You can just copy your pictures, videos and other files to your PC however you do that now and go for the upgrade without the full backup (do at own risk).

Good luck

Q10 (SQN100-3)
    dbq10 likes this.
    02-24-15 03:46 PM