I have seen a few people have difficulty operating Android apps, especially when the back button is hidden. In most Android apps you absolutely need the back button to navigate and without the back button people are trapped un menu items and don't know how to get out.

I suggest that the back button always be displayed in Android apps.

Now before I get 1000 posts telling me that there are ways to make the button appear, I know all this. I also know about the diagonal gesture to go back, but for most users this is confusing.

If you don't believe me just go read all the negative reviews for the Kindle App. Many users are complaining that they cannot go back once once they start reading a book. It is normal for them to complain because it is not intuitive to swipe down from the top and then press back. There should always be a back button in all apps. If Blackberry wants to gain market share they have to make the OS more user friendly to non geeks..

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 11:23 AM
    "Non geeks" should read the help information built in, that's what it is there for. In any android app, you can swipe down from the top and then a bar pops up at the bottom, this has a back button on it. You can also find the help there, and an option to pin that bar (so it always stays there) and you will therefore always have a back button.

Otherwise, if you swipe diagonally from the button, from centre to left diagonally, it goes back. This is the built in "back" gesture for android apps.
    04-12-13 11:31 AM
    BB10 is a gesture operated OS. Just learn the two gestures like all the other gestures that you have to learn while operating the phone and thats that. If it bothers someone or you that much than get an android.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    Hit me up - 32FCEF27
    04-12-13 11:36 AM
    as an android developer porting some apps for BlackBerry. I found that ActionBarSherlock is a good library to include several elements that is not present in the Gingerbread release of android. One is the inclusion of the ActionBar at the top that has a back button option return to a previous activity. Also the overflow menu is a very nice addition.

Another library I found that I haven't tried yet was a BB10 UI Element library. It looks like it also includes an ActionBar at the bottom that looks like the BB10 back bar and menu bar. Also using BB10 elements to make an android app look like a BB10 Cascades app. Might have to try this out next time.

And links for you Android Developers out there...

BB10 UI for Android - https://github.com/sarriaroman/BB-10-UI-for-Android
    ActionBarSherlock - ActionBarSherlock - Home

Happy Coding!
    SDTRMG likes this.
    04-12-13 11:44 AM