Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Bruce91
  • 2 Post By Bruce91
  • 1 Post By DannyAves
  1. Bruce91's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Auto On/Off Feature - Still an option?

    One of the biggest things I miss about my Bold was this feature.

    Is it still available?
    Stronghouse likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default

    Why would you want that exactly? I don't understand the point of it.

    As for your question, I honestly have no idea. I didn't know that such a feature exists on phones as I fail to see how it would be necessary.
  3. Bruce91's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    Turn off at 11:30PM. Turn on at 5:59AM.

    I'm not using my phone when I'm asleep. Might as well turn it off. I'd get around 2-3 days on a single charge on my Bold. Why wouldn't you want a great feature like that!

    IOS does something similar with do not disturb except it offers more options, but not the auto on/off.
    stevepar and Stronghouse like this.
  4. DannyAves's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    721 Posts
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    It is a great feature.
    Stronghouse likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default

    Uhh...do not disturb is equivalent to "night Mode" and has nothing to do with one off. In BB10, on the lock screen, you pull down from the top, and the phone goes into sleep mode where you don't get any notifications, exactly like do not disturb, except that you can't set time (I wouldn't doubt that it'll be there in a future update, but swiping from the top of the screen on the lock screen is not that hard).
  6. b320's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    982 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Unfortunately, this is currently not an option and as previous posters suggested, "Bedside Mode" is the suggested replacement.

    This was probably not implemented *because* when you do a "Power Off" on BlackBerry 10, it is a full power off that requires a full boot up. There is no full "Power Off" on legacy BlackBerry devices: they keep running until you either trigger a full restart by invoking it in the system or pulling the battery or alternatively the device runs out of battery entirely (not "Battery too low for radio use").

    On legacy BlackBerry devices (OS 7.x and lower), Auto Power Off and Power On basically triggers a deep sleep mode but the device essentially remains on (alarm still functions, power button still works). This is equivalent to the manually-triggered "Standby" mode on the BlackBerry PlayBook.

    It appears that BlackBerry chose not to implement "Standby" as a user-exposed option on BlackBerry 10 (or perhaps not at all). Maybe they decided this was for the better because having more options may have been confusing for users and because they were able to shorten the boot-up and restart times on BB10 compared to PlayBook OS. Neither iOS nor Android provide a "Standby" option.
    Thanked by:
    DementedDevil (02-09-2013) 
  7. bozzo's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    The ability to switch off a phone and have it power on with the alarm is very useful when staying in a field for a 3 day festival. Admittedly that's the only time I've used it but I would like to see it return and can't see a reason why it can't be implemented.
  8. b320's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    982 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bozzo View Post
    The ability to switch off a phone and have it power on with the alarm is very useful when staying in a field for a 3 day festival. Admittedly that's the only time I've used it but I would like to see it return and can't see a reason why it can't be implemented.
    Basically, the standard standby mode (screen dark) is very energy efficient with Airplane Mode on and all apps closed. For the time being, can you use that? Your alarm will still work and you won't have to switch it off when you're woken up, just let the time out on the screen kick in again.
  9. sarahrich's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    254 Posts
    PIN
    2674F37B
    #9  

    Default

    I used auto on and off to turn off my phone at 1am and back on again at 6am so that all my notifications came through before my half 6 alarm. But I have a question I haven't tried yet - does the phone automatically turn on when an alarm is set so that it goes off? Or does turning off the phone also turn off the alarm?

    Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Curve 9300 > Torch 9800 > BlackBerry Z10
  10. ubizmo's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,399 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,561 Global Posts
    PIN
    2aed1ace
    #10  

    Default

    I never used this. I charge my phone at night, so I don't need it to be off. On the rare occasions when I can't charge it at night, I just turn it off manually, or put it in airplane mode and lock it. With the radios off and nothing else happening there's very little battery discharge anyway.
  11. njblackberry's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,947 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,065 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    It is not there on the Z10. If you didn't use it (I didn't), you won't miss it.
    If you used it - and there are several threads about it already - then it is another enhancement you will all have to get used to.
  12. Bruce91's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by b320 View Post
    Unfortunately, this is currently not an option and as previous posters suggested, "Bedside Mode" is the suggested replacement.

    This was probably not implemented *because* when you do a "Power Off" on BlackBerry 10, it is a full power off that requires a full boot up. There is no full "Power Off" on legacy BlackBerry devices: they keep running until you either trigger a full restart by invoking it in the system or pulling the battery or alternatively the device runs out of battery entirely (not "Battery too low for radio use").

    On legacy BlackBerry devices (OS 7.x and lower), Auto Power Off and Power On basically triggers a deep sleep mode but the device essentially remains on (alarm still functions, power button still works). This is equivalent to the manually-triggered "Standby" mode on the BlackBerry PlayBook.

    It appears that BlackBerry chose not to implement "Standby" as a user-exposed option on BlackBerry 10 (or perhaps not at all). Maybe they decided this was for the better because having more options may have been confusing for users and because they were able to shorten the boot-up and restart times on BB10 compared to PlayBook OS. Neither iOS nor Android provide a "Standby" option.
    Great! Thanks for your help everyone.
  13. bert106's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    362 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sarahrich View Post
    I used auto on and off to turn off my phone at 1am and back on again at 6am so that all my notifications came through before my half 6 alarm. But I have a question I haven't tried yet - does the phone automatically turn on when an alarm is set so that it goes off? Or does turning off the phone also turn off the alarm?

    Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Just tested it, and it appears not to work...

    Just turned phone back on, I had set the alarm at 1551 for 1555, I turned the phone back on at 1601, and the alarm started playing when I switched on... weird!
    BlackBerry since 2008
    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/matthewcsutton
    Bold 9000 -> (phone so bad I can't remember it...) -> Torch 9800 -> Z10.
    PlayBook 16gb wifi
  14. jamieqq's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    6 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bert106 View Post
    Just tested it, and it appears not to work...

    Just turned phone back on, I had set the alarm at 1551 for 1555, I turned the phone back on at 1601, and the alarm started playing when I switched on... weird!
    That is weird.
    All phones I have used will turn themselves on if they are turned off and an alarm is scheduled to go off.
  15. Stronghouse's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #15  

    Default I miss this too

    It was pretty much the first thing I looked for on my new Z10 and I'm pretty dissappointed that it's not there. Bedside mode isn't nearly as good, unless there's a feature that automatically puts the device in bedside mode at the times you choose. I'm really hoping they can make an app for this or something
  16. kwtoy's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    23 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Is it possible for a program running as act active frame (until we have headless apps) to turn off all radio devices and put the device into airplane mode?

    Posted via CB10
  17. kpai81's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    nope. hope RIMM can fix it on the next OS update
    kpai81
  18. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,677 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwtoy View Post
    Is it possible for a program running as act active frame (until we have headless apps) to turn off all radio devices and put the device into airplane mode?

    Posted via CB10
    Yes lol, this
    Auto On/Off Feature - Still an option?-img_00000592.png

Similar Threads

  1. Auto On/Off Feature ?
    By antnyh in forum BlackBerry Storm
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-03-2009, 07:13 PM
  2. What is Auto On/Off Feature for?
    By Calaski8123 in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xx
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-16-2008, 10:51 AM
  3. Auto On/Off Feature 8130
    By JessicaL in forum BlackBerry Pearl 81xx
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 03:53 PM
  4. Auto on/off feature...use? Benefits?
    By Berryaddict80 in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 03:14 PM
  5. Auto on/off feature
    By somthinsim in forum Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-15-2007, 01:25 PM

Posting Permissions