One of the biggest things I miss about my Bold was this feature.

Is it still available?
    Stronghouse likes this.
    02-08-13 09:07 PM
    Why would you want that exactly? I don't understand the point of it.

As for your question, I honestly have no idea. I didn't know that such a feature exists on phones as I fail to see how it would be necessary.
    02-08-13 09:34 PM
    Turn off at 11:30PM. Turn on at 5:59AM.

I'm not using my phone when I'm asleep. Might as well turn it off. I'd get around 2-3 days on a single charge on my Bold. Why wouldn't you want a great feature like that!

IOS does something similar with do not disturb except it offers more options, but not the auto on/off.
    stevepar and Stronghouse like this.
    02-08-13 09:56 PM
    It is a great feature.
    Stronghouse likes this.
    02-08-13 10:26 PM
    Uhh...do not disturb is equivalent to "night Mode" and has nothing to do with one off. In BB10, on the lock screen, you pull down from the top, and the phone goes into sleep mode where you don't get any notifications, exactly like do not disturb, except that you can't set time (I wouldn't doubt that it'll be there in a future update, but swiping from the top of the screen on the lock screen is not that hard).
    02-08-13 10:49 PM
    Unfortunately, this is currently not an option and as previous posters suggested, "Bedside Mode" is the suggested replacement.

This was probably not implemented *because* when you do a "Power Off" on BlackBerry 10, it is a full power off that requires a full boot up. There is no full "Power Off" on legacy BlackBerry devices: they keep running until you either trigger a full restart by invoking it in the system or pulling the battery or alternatively the device runs out of battery entirely (not "Battery too low for radio use").

On legacy BlackBerry devices (OS 7.x and lower), Auto Power Off and Power On basically triggers a deep sleep mode but the device essentially remains on (alarm still functions, power button still works). This is equivalent to the manually-triggered "Standby" mode on the BlackBerry PlayBook.

It appears that BlackBerry chose not to implement "Standby" as a user-exposed option on BlackBerry 10 (or perhaps not at all). Maybe they decided this was for the better because having more options may have been confusing for users and because they were able to shorten the boot-up and restart times on BB10 compared to PlayBook OS. Neither iOS nor Android provide a "Standby" option.
    DementedDevil likes this.
    02-09-13 12:11 AM
    The ability to switch off a phone and have it power on with the alarm is very useful when staying in a field for a 3 day festival. Admittedly that's the only time I've used it but I would like to see it return and can't see a reason why it can't be implemented.
    02-09-13 05:48 AM
    The ability to switch off a phone and have it power on with the alarm is very useful when staying in a field for a 3 day festival. Admittedly that's the only time I've used it but I would like to see it return and can't see a reason why it can't be implemented.
    Basically, the standard standby mode (screen dark) is very energy efficient with Airplane Mode on and all apps closed. For the time being, can you use that? Your alarm will still work and you won't have to switch it off when you're woken up, just let the time out on the screen kick in again.
    02-09-13 05:53 AM
    I used auto on and off to turn off my phone at 1am and back on again at 6am so that all my notifications came through before my half 6 alarm. But I have a question I haven't tried yet - does the phone automatically turn on when an alarm is set so that it goes off? Or does turning off the phone also turn off the alarm?

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-09-13 07:07 AM
    I never used this. I charge my phone at night, so I don't need it to be off. On the rare occasions when I can't charge it at night, I just turn it off manually, or put it in airplane mode and lock it. With the radios off and nothing else happening there's very little battery discharge anyway.
    02-09-13 07:57 AM
    It is not there on the Z10. If you didn't use it (I didn't), you won't miss it.
    If you used it - and there are several threads about it already - then it is another enhancement you will all have to get used to.
    02-09-13 07:59 AM
    Unfortunately, this is currently not an option and as previous posters suggested, "Bedside Mode" is the suggested replacement.

This was probably not implemented *because* when you do a "Power Off" on BlackBerry 10, it is a full power off that requires a full boot up. There is no full "Power Off" on legacy BlackBerry devices: they keep running until you either trigger a full restart by invoking it in the system or pulling the battery or alternatively the device runs out of battery entirely (not "Battery too low for radio use").

On legacy BlackBerry devices (OS 7.x and lower), Auto Power Off and Power On basically triggers a deep sleep mode but the device essentially remains on (alarm still functions, power button still works). This is equivalent to the manually-triggered "Standby" mode on the BlackBerry PlayBook.

It appears that BlackBerry chose not to implement "Standby" as a user-exposed option on BlackBerry 10 (or perhaps not at all). Maybe they decided this was for the better because having more options may have been confusing for users and because they were able to shorten the boot-up and restart times on BB10 compared to PlayBook OS. Neither iOS nor Android provide a "Standby" option.
    Great! Thanks for your help everyone.
    02-09-13 09:45 AM
    I used auto on and off to turn off my phone at 1am and back on again at 6am so that all my notifications came through before my half 6 alarm. But I have a question I haven't tried yet - does the phone automatically turn on when an alarm is set so that it goes off? Or does turning off the phone also turn off the alarm?

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Just tested it, and it appears not to work...

Just turned phone back on, I had set the alarm at 1551 for 1555, I turned the phone back on at 1601, and the alarm started playing when I switched on... weird!
    02-15-13 10:00 AM
    Just tested it, and it appears not to work...

Just turned phone back on, I had set the alarm at 1551 for 1555, I turned the phone back on at 1601, and the alarm started playing when I switched on... weird!
    That is weird.
    All phones I have used will turn themselves on if they are turned off and an alarm is scheduled to go off.
    02-18-13 12:14 AM
    It was pretty much the first thing I looked for on my new Z10 and I'm pretty dissappointed that it's not there. Bedside mode isn't nearly as good, unless there's a feature that automatically puts the device in bedside mode at the times you choose. I'm really hoping they can make an app for this or something
    02-22-13 04:35 PM
    Is it possible for a program running as act active frame (until we have headless apps) to turn off all radio devices and put the device into airplane mode?

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 06:00 AM
    nope. hope RIMM can fix it on the next OS update
    03-17-13 02:45 AM
    Is it possible for a program running as act active frame (until we have headless apps) to turn off all radio devices and put the device into airplane mode?

Posted via CB10
    Yes lol, this
    Auto On/Off Feature - Still an option?-img_00000592.png
    03-17-13 04:08 AM
    I think the programmers misjudged the use of the auto on off. I did have the ability to set a quiet period on my curve. I was also able to set an on and off for the sleep mode on my android. I was pretty disappointed to lose that ability on the Q10. I will wait until the price drops on the Priv. I understand the Priv is an android OS so it should have the ability to set a sleep period automatically. The auto on of wasn’t life and death. It was just a real cool option.
    01-09-16 01:49 PM
    Why would you want that exactly? I don't understand the point of it.

As for your question, I honestly have no idea. I didn't know that such a feature exists on phones as I fail to see how it would be necessary.
    The auto on/off feature is extremely useful and something I make use of on my Android work phone.

Why BlackBerry? Because I can!
    01-10-16 02:02 PM
    It was an amazing bonus if i woke up a d forgot where i put my phone and cld call it to find it. Or on late nites i forgot to turn it off. Or telling people that my phone was auto-set to turn off after 11. And i didnt need to keep my phone ON 24 7 just cause you cldnt imagine it for your own life doesnt mean it didnt serve a REAL purpose for others
    10-05-19 10:52 AM