Good point, they had fingers in other consumer areas (desktops, laptops, televisions, game consoles, appliances, etc) so they could afford to take a loss initially to build market share if necessary.
    09-11-16 02:14 PM
    The Nokia, Palm, and Blackberry's of the world who were only ever in the phone business never really stood a chance with their own OS's (Meego, WebOS, and BB10) once Google, Apple, and Microsoft decided to get into the game.
    I beg to differ. They were the established names; the trusted vendors. What happened was not the result of a marketing blitz. They were simply caught woefully unprepared to match the competition in engineering and innovation.

Apple actually made marketing mistakes that left the door open for them to remain competitive, but they fumbled away their best chance to remain relevant.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    09-11-16 02:28 PM
    Symbian was a special OS which was the first real smartphone OS, it was way ahead until the market focus changed and Nokia didn't change quick enough and changed the wrong things at the wrong time.
    Nokia and BlackBerry are siblings in stupidity. This why I like them both.
    09-11-16 04:31 PM
    I beg to differ. They were the established names; the trusted vendors. What happened was not the result of a marketing blitz. They were simply caught woefully unprepared to match the competition in engineering and innovation.

Apple actually made marketing mistakes that left the door open for them to remain competitive, but they fumbled away their best chance to remain relevant.
    Well it's kinda hard to compete against goliaths which have almost unlimited money and resources. WebOS was ahead of the competition when it was released but they had no chance of competing on the marketing side.
    09-11-16 05:57 PM
    MS has plenty of money - that didn't help WinPhone. And there are plenty of VCs with all the money in the world to give private companies that they think have a chance of competing (public companies raise money selling stock).

The truth is that there weren't many investors who believed that any company had a chance of beating Apple or Google, given the technology they demonstrated, their visions of the future, and the quality of their management. Timing also played a big part of that as well.
    09-11-16 08:43 PM
    MS? Well, WM10 also has an app gap.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  ,Passport (OG Red) <3
    Far smaller than BlackBerry one.

With a Windows Phone, you still have OS updates regularly, Microsoft apps updates often, and new universal apps that come to the party : Facebook, Twitter, SNCF...

I have both a Passport and a Lumia 830, trust me, the Lumia receives many more apps update than the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-16 09:00 PM
31 12