Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Apps install to the SD card?

According to Kevin's Z10 review:

"The BlackBerry Z10 ships with 2GB of RAM. You can tell the extra GB over what was in the Dev Alpha B helps to smooth performance, and there's 16 GB of built-in storage. Unlike the legacy BlackBerry operating system, apps don't get installed onto device ram and compete with system resources; they're installed on the media memory. Memory is expandable to up to 32 GB through micro SD, though we formatted a 64 GB card in the Z10 and it was working fine."

Am I reading this correctly to mean that apps get installed on the SD card? Or is it to the 16GB of installed memory, which is separate from the 2GB of RAM but not whatever memory is on the SD card?
    Twitter.com/K9Carly
    CrackBerry Addict

The device doesn't ship with a free card of any size in Canada. If I don't buy one right away, does this mean no apps for me?
    bbecause it's bbetter
    CrackBerry Addict

App don't get installed on the SD cards for that to be possible they would have lose the hot swap ability. Your SD card is for files, music, movie, what ever else you can think of. your 16GB internal is for APPS/ music, movies, files .......

without an SD card you can still install apps and whatever else. the card is for those of us that inted to load these phones up with as many apps as possible our entire music library and some movies to pass the time....
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,874 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mooda View Post
    App don't get installed on the SD cards for that to be possible they would have lose the hot swap ability. Your SD card is for files, music, movie, what ever else you can think of. your 16GB internal is for APPS/ music, movies, files .......

without an SD card you can still install apps and whatever else. the card is for those of us that inted to load these phones up with as many apps as possible our entire music library and some movies to pass the time....
    BlackBerry could bypass this though, they could encrypt the SD card when first put in, or they could link downloaded apps to a certain BBID.
    Or both.
    Seems doable.
    Check out my app: CChecker
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by mooda View Post

???????
    bbecause it's bbetter
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by r0v3rT3N View Post
    BlackBerry could bypass this though, they could encrypt the SD card when first put in, or they could link downloaded apps to a certain BBID.
    Or both.
    Seems doable.
    definitely doable but that would cause other problems. encrypted cards only work in one device. lots of users like me like to yank the card out and stick it in another (what can i say no loyalty about where i stick it)

on top of that what you run into the "where did my app go...... oh right its on my other SD card"

who knows though anything is possible with the OS at the core

16gb of apps isn't enough for some people? How is that even possible?
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    12,589 Global Posts

16GB is PLENTY, but I can see how some folks will blow through that in a week.

App2SD functionality was something I was hoping for, but not a deal breaker.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,339 Global Posts

16GB can go quick when a fresh device takes up 5 of it. Add some 500 MB to 1 GB games and you're down to less. Apps on the SD would have been better. A 32GB option for phone would have been a nice to have too.
    CrackBerry Master

I agree, with some big applications, 16GB are easily filled...

Take Osmand+ for example... does the vector data need to be in teh device? (I cannot see an option to move it to an SD card)
    Or Adrenaline 7 Heat is 1GB to download and 1,35GB installed - that is a LOT. 48s of video recording are 84MB at full resolution, so that will also easily create a lot of data (which can be moved to the SD card though)