Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bbbruva
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Apps asking for permissions on BB10

Just a question and possible discussion for everyone.

Why, after a download are apps asking for permission to areas of my z10 that need access to more than just the internet? For example, some want access to my personal files- what for, all I want to do is check the weather! Even pictures camera access (for apps that don't even need access to a camera???)

Just seems a bit confusing as to why some of these apps need my personal information and access to private information.

Any thoughts- or clarification?

The other issue is when browsing for apps in bbw, why isn't there a stipulation that a description for an app be mandatory? Just a simple blurb would suffice- just so I know what the app does- heck, even put in that it asks for permissions to certain areas of your private phone.

And one more thing- is location based services all inclusive, or can I turn just the GPS off?

many thanks in advanced
    Moved upto the Blackberry Bold April 9/10, Z10 is on its way! Feb 2013.

Why is the Mrs. so jealous of my blackberry???? It's not my fault she chose the eyePhone Lol
    CrackBerry Genius

Just turn off the permissions you dont want that app to have.

No guarantee that the app will still work though.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn12 View Post
    No guarantee that the app will still work though.
    That's the problem
    Moved upto the Blackberry Bold April 9/10, Z10 is on its way! Feb 2013.

Why is the Mrs. so jealous of my blackberry???? It's not my fault she chose the eyePhone Lol
    CrackBerry User

This actually worries me as well. A lot of the time you do not find out until after it's downloaded. Some apps do not give you the option to not allow certain access. BlackBerry should be doing a better job to vet the apps or at least require the developer to include a description and submit reasons for permissions and deny those that are asking for permissions their apps clearly do not need. I understand that I am responsible for the sharing of my information but you should not have to worry about those kinds of things when downloading apps, I didn't have to on my iphone.
    Thanked by:
    The_Original_Modifier (03-08-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts

Has to do with the functionality of the app. Full social sharing or message updates requires access to your contacts and location services are to deliver context relevant information...like automatically giving you movie theatre's without having to tell it your address.

Posted via CB10
    Palm IIIxe > Sony Clie PEG-T665 > Treo 680 > Bold 9000 > Torch 9800 > Bold 9900 > Z10 > Z30
    Thanked by:
    SDTRMG (03-08-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Some of it is laziness. Another is that BB10 doesn't have a lot of specific permissions yet and so you need to give broad permission even though the app might only be needing very specific things.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    959 Global Posts

As for the weather app asking for the file access: I would imagine that when you want to change the weather icons it would load if from the memory that the icons are stored on...
    But I usually also get the impression that some applications request more permissions, then necessary. I try revising them in each case.
    CrackBerry Newbie

On every phone there's a lot of data that can be used to improve applications and for example also automate some tasks the app does for the user. It's just that in order to make a "smart" mobile app you need additonal data from the phone. On the other hand it's clear that if there's not a clear explanation on why some of the data is used, users should not give permission.