Apple?s Hybrid Keyboard Patent Combines Touch Input And Mechanical Typing | TechCrunch

I just saw this article. It sounds like the passport keyboard. " Capacitive touch with clicking ". " able to swipe".

Just curious on how close it is to the Passport and if BlackBerry will challenge them...

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 08:33 AM
    Hmm wonder if BlackBerry actually patented the idea...

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 09:04 AM

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't matter, you can't patent something that already exists. Must be something different, even if it sounds the same..
    05-26-15 10:34 AM
    Maybe it's the Apple version of the Storm keyboard.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    05-26-15 10:40 AM
    Maybe it's the Apple version of the Storm keyboard.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Yup, exactly what I thought!

IPHONE 7 will have a clickable screen

Posted via CB10
    SmileDahling likes this.
    05-26-15 10:44 AM
    Guys guys... this is for their MacBook laptops! It's a completely different device so it's not infringing since it's not on a mobile device

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 08:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    No, this isn't Blackberry's Idea.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 04:14 AM
    dzbeebo, I concur, however, I think most of us are just waiting for Apple to announce how it's the FIRST laptop/phone/device to come up with it, how absolutely AMAZING Apple's technology is advanced/unique/out-of-the-box thinking and such and somehow will infer how Blackberry copied it. See what happens.
    vaioman likes this.
    05-27-15 09:26 AM
    Just for fun, anyone out there in law school. I see that apple is looking to make this for their mac books, but the technology behind it is what counts. Shouldn't matter if the technology is on a mobile device or larger computer. Is their any infringement issues between what they describe and the passport keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Jose Casiano likes this.
    05-27-15 10:21 AM
    Guys guys... this is for their MacBook laptops! It's a completely different device so it's not infringing since it's not on a mobile device

Posted via CB10
    Lol... that is definitely *not* part of the test of novelty or non-obviousness.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 11:32 AM
    Just for fun, anyone out there in law school. I see that apple is looking to make this for their mac books, but the technology behind it is what counts. Shouldn't matter if the technology is on a mobile device or larger computer. Is their any infringement issues between what they describe and the passport keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    The size or scale wouldn't matter unless Apple can persuasively argue that making something larger was beyond the scope of one of ordinary skill in the art at the time the application was filed. In most cases, attorneys try to argue the opposite (that miniaturization of a component was not known or beyond the technical skill at the time).

Simply claiming a combination of mechanical and capacitive/touch sensitive keys would most definitely not be patentable over the Passport technology (which, even if not patented by BlackBerry per-se, has been publicly available (and even written about by CB) for a while now).

So basically, Apple will have to introduce enough details into the claims about the configuration of the device to differentiate it from whatever is out there.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 11:40 AM
    I hope BlackBerry still has a legal team!

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 04:07 PM