Since BB10 and PB apps will be compatible, what would be the status of apps purchase on App World.

If I buy a BB10 and enter my BBID on it, would I have to pay for the apps which I have already bought for my PB or will I be able to install the Phone version of the app from Appworld?

Anyone know how this will play out?

P.S. : 2000th post.

Edit: Stupid autocorrect. Can some mod change the Thread Title. Change "Lurches" to "Situation".
    Last edited by sam_b77; 05-07-12 at 08:31 AM.
    05-07-12 02:42 AM
    Hmm good question, hopefully if you buy it once you'll be able to use it on all your devices.

How does this work now if you own 2 BB7 devices using the same BBID?

And congrats on the 2000th post lol
    05-07-12 07:11 AM
    This is a good question that I would like to know as well. Two points: 1. there should not need to be a "phone" version of an app. Having to do a different version for every device was a big developer complaint. My understanding is in BB10 one app will run on all devices. 2. How does this work with IOS? Can you use the same app between the iphone and ipad? If so do you need to purchase it separately for each device? Would imagine RIM would not charge twice if apple does not.
    05-07-12 07:21 AM
    ...Edit: Stupid autocorrect. Can some mod change the Thread Title. Change "Lurches" to "Situation".
    You should be able to do that yourself. Edit the post and select the Advanced option. That should let you change the title. However, some references to the title may not change.

As to your original query, how does Apple handle that now? They sell apps that should run on iPods, iPhones and iPads (since they are all just iPods with different screen sizes and a phone tacked on). When you buy an app for the pad and run it on the phone, how do they license it? RIM will likely use the same model.

As far as I'm concerned, the developer should license it to your BB registration for x number of simultaneous executions. If you want to run it on any device exclusively, that should be fine. If, however, you want to run it on a BB and PB simultaneously, you should license it for 2 executions. The app could register each execution online and offer to sell you additional licenses if it detects you need them. If you use Amazon Prime you may see something like this in action. Run a movie on your PB and try to open it on your TV, as I have tried to do, it will tell you that can't be done.
    05-07-12 07:25 AM
    This is a good question that I would like to know as well. Two points: 1. there should not need to be a "phone" version of an app. Having to do a different version for every device was a big developer complaint. My understanding is in BB10 one app will run on all devices. 2. How does this work with IOS? Can you use the same app between the iphone and ipad? If so do you need to purchase it separately for each device? Would imagine RIM would not charge twice if apple does not.
    Well actually, if you see Alec Saunders' interview he clarified the matter of compatibility of apps for PB and BB10. What he said was that in theory the Apps would work, but practically NO. The basic point being that the PB apps are for a 7" screen while the BB10 phones will have a 4.2" screen, so the app controls etc have to be optimised for the smaller screen real estate.

But he did say that that was not a difficult job and is rather easy and developers are not complaining.

However that was not the intent of my post. When BB10 phones arrive, it would be the first time that there will be a unification of different devices in the BB ecosystem. What would be their policy on app purchases for the same BBID on two different classes of devices?
    Currently the PB apps don't work on my BBOS and vice versa, do this question didn't appear before them.
    Last edited by sam_b77; 05-07-12 at 08:26 AM.
    05-07-12 08:23 AM
    You should be able to do that yourself. Edit the post and select the Advanced option. That should let you change the title. However, some references to the title may not change.

As to your original query, how does Apple handle that now? They sell apps that should run on iPods, iPhones and iPads (since they are all just iPods with different screen sizes and a phone tacked on). When you buy an app for the pad and run it on the phone, how do they license it? RIM will likely use the same model.

As far as I'm concerned, the developer should license it to your BB registration for x number of simultaneous executions. If you want to run it on any device exclusively, that should be fine. If, however, you want to run it on a BB and PB simultaneously, you should license it for 2 executions. The app could register each execution online and offer to sell you additional licenses if it detects you need them. If you use Amazon Prime you may see something like this in action. Run a movie on your PB and try to open it on your TV, as I have tried to do, it will tell you that can't be done.
    I don't know know how Apple handles it, but from the ads I saw about iCloud, I'm led to believe that if you buy an App on iPhone the app is simultaneously installed on your iPad. Don't know if the user needs a single license or multiple licenses.

Maybe some iPhone+iPad users can clarify that. There seem to be a lot around on our BB fan site .

And thanks for the help for editing the title. One would think that after 2000 posts I would know that .
    Edit: I changed the title of the post. Now it's changed when I edit the the post, but it hasn't updated on the mainpage.
    Last edited by sam_b77; 05-07-12 at 08:33 AM.
    05-07-12 08:30 AM
    With iOS if you buy it on your iPhone you can sync it onto your iPad for free. And up to a total of 5 devices i.e iPod etc
    Thanks. Hopefully RIM follows the same model.
    05-07-12 08:34 AM
    With iOS if you buy it on your iPhone you can sync it onto your iPad for free. And up to a total of 5 devices i.e iPod etc
    That would work for me! Thanks for the info.
    05-07-12 12:38 PM
    Well actually, if you see Alec Saunders' interview he clarified the matter of compatibility of apps for PB and BB10. What he said was that in theory the Apps would work, but practically NO. The basic point being that the PB apps are for a 7" screen while the BB10 phones will have a 4.2" screen, so the app controls etc have to be optimised for the smaller screen real estate.

But he did say that that was not a difficult job and is rather easy and developers are not complaining.

However that was not the intent of my post. When BB10 phones arrive, it would be the first time that there will be a unification of different devices in the BB ecosystem. What would be their policy on app purchases for the same BBID on two different classes of devices?
    Currently the PB apps don't work on my BBOS and vice versa, do this question didn't appear before them.
    Could have sworn in saw something about the app being able to adjust to the display size, but with the amount of content from the last week I have no idea where I saw it.
    05-07-12 12:40 PM
    I can tell you I bought compass pro for my bbos phone and it showed up in my playbooks appworld.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk
    05-07-12 12:58 PM
    I have a feeling it may be up to the individual developers.
    For my scant collection of apps anyway, anyone who bought it for the PlayBook will have it free on BB10.
    05-08-12 01:07 PM
    I have purchased InstaPhoto on my Smartphone and it is on my PlayBook...although I recently had to security wipe it and the app isnt on my list anymore...yet there is no download tab, so i have it but cant figure out how to download it on my PB again!

But back to the main point...people are saying if apple does one download for all devices then blackberry should...i disagree entirely on this...RIM has to provide more features that are user friendly, so as apple has the icould and does transfer apps to devices under the same apple id...RIM no matter what apple or android are doing has to provide this ease of use...I would be shocked if they make users purchase the app on both Tablet and Phone
    05-08-12 01:39 PM
    I get the strong impression the intention is to keep allowing apps to be associated with the BBID, not the device, and therefore allowing us to have the same apps on phone(s) and tablet(s).

At the moment, in fact, developers don't even have a mechanism by which they could allow you to purchase a second copy of an app to use on a second device using the same BBID, even if they wanted to. Maybe RIM will be enhancing App World to support that model, some day...
    spike12 likes this.
    05-08-12 03:38 PM
    RIM will ultimately HAVE to follow the Apple model. They may state otherwise at first to please developers, but consumers will throw a fit.

HOWEVER, some developers on iOS will build two versions of an app, one for iPhone and one for iPad, and they're technically different (as was said, to use different screen real estate effectively). Expect the same thing to happen with BB10 (and rightfully so)
    05-08-12 07:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD