In the fall, they were saying they expected something like 110,000 apps at launch. Then, more recently, that number has been lowered to 70,000 apps. Was it a case of over optimism at the beginning or are they setting our expectations lower so as to make the announced number seem that much better?
    Why do I think that on Wednesday, they will announce a much higher number than 70,000?

My guess: 120,000 apps.
    01-24-13 09:01 PM
    There's the target goal, the current leaked number, and eventually (in just a few days) the true app count. I'll bet that reality will expand quickly, as BB10 hits the streets, and developers recognize the capabilities.
    01-24-13 10:33 PM
    As you can see in the Port-a-thon's, lots of developers are seeing the ease of porting apps over to BB10 using the various tools.
    01-25-13 02:13 AM
    It will be way more than 70,000 apps. Trust me if you followed developer channels 70,000 is a small number.
    01-25-13 02:38 AM
    without a doubt it will be between 100 and 1 million
    Masahiro and BSFA2008 like this.
    01-25-13 02:49 AM
    In the fall, they were saying they expected something like 110,000 apps at launch. Then, more recently, that number has been lowered to 70,000 apps. Was it a case of over optimism at the beginning or are they setting our expectations lower so as to make the announced number seem that much better?
    I don't actually remember them talking about a specific number other than that 70k one that was recently mentioned.

Personally, I suspect that things like the 34k done in those two portathon weekends are going to cause a backlog in approvals and we are only going to see 80 or 90k at launch with them boosting that number as quickly as they can get the rest approved.
    01-25-13 03:17 AM
    120k ! Last Port-a-thon highered that number with 20k. And they arent all accepted yet. Only the accepted apps are counted.
    01-25-13 04:23 AM
    The problem is how many of those will be quality apps? I've seen a few BB10 app reviews on YouTube, and I've been impressed, but who knows, those might be the only 10 good apps out of 100k. I hope not though.

Honestly, even if we get crappy big name apps ported, I'll be happy. As users get the phone and begin to rate the apps poorly, the company will launch a native app. However, my fear is that many of the big companies won't bother porting an app at all, and will therefore largely ignore BB10 for a while.
    01-25-13 10:40 AM
    The problem is how many of those will be quality apps? I've seen a few BB10 app reviews on YouTube, and I've been impressed, but who knows, those might be the only 10 good apps out of 100k. I hope not though.

Honestly, even if we get crappy big name apps ported, I'll be happy. As users get the phone and begin to rate the apps poorly, the company will launch a native app. However, my fear is that many of the big companies won't bother porting an app at all, and will therefore largely ignore BB10 for a while.
    realistically, it`ll be the same as all platforms. iOS has 775,000 apps, nobody can even attempt to tell me they are all good. you`ll always get a mix of good bad and indifferent apps. usefulness id never comment on though as thats subjective.
    01-25-13 10:44 AM
    realistically, it`ll be the same as all platforms. iOS has 775,000 apps, nobody can even attempt to tell me they are all good. you`ll always get a mix of good bad and indifferent apps. usefulness id never comment on though as thats subjective.
    @BBThemes is paperplane going to be on BB10
    01-25-13 11:07 AM
    I agree, which is why I said that the problem isn't number of apps, but number of quality apps. On my iOS device, I have about 110 apps and 100 on my Android (thats out of 100s of thousands of apps, the majority of which are useless). In order for me to view the app experience on BlackBerry as a success, they would honestly need maybe the 200 top apps on Android and iOS, and if even the top 25 of the ones I use are there, I'll be more than happy (actually, I doubt I even use 25 of my apps on a weekly basis...maybe 10-15?).

Now, going back to my last post, I firmly believe that the most important apps are the "big name" apps like Skype (which thankfully will have at least IM support on BB10), Facebook (check), Twitter (check), Angry Birds (check), Groupon (check), Google Talk (check), Tapatalk (check), eBay (check?) Yelp (check), Youtube (check? and I hope it allows signing in, comments, and the personalized feed feature), Instagram, 500px, Amazon, IMDB, LivingSocial (which even Android doesn't have. Anybody that has used that Android app will understand what I mean), Mint, Meetup, Paypal, Pinterest, Temple Run (& TR 2), Tripadvisor, Tumblr.

That was just me looking through my Android to see what apps I'd want, and that makes it obvious that most of the major ones are actually already on BB. 13 More that I'd like to see, and I'd be extremely satisfied if even 5-10 of those were there. Realistically, other users might add a few more apps, but not having any of the hundreds of thousands of other apps on iOS/Android would be a slight inconvenience at best, for most users.
    01-25-13 12:08 PM