I initially posted this in another thread but I thought it deserved it's own discussion.

Recently I emailed the developers of the score sports app with a tech support question and received a reply saying they no longer support blackberry.

I downloaded FotMob from Blackberry world today as a means to get my live soccer scores.

I emailed the developer with a question about live push alerts as they stated in the description.

Here's the reply:

"Sorry but Blackberry is not a supported platform any longer :-(
    Christer Nordvik, CEO"

So another developer pulling blackberry support. I figured out on my own that to get in game live score notifications I have to keep the app open (I presume this is what is meant by it not being a headless app). The live scoring notifications are then pushed to my phone. (you would think the CEO would know that!!!) I emailed him back and got the following reply:

"Hehe, it's not a bright future for Blackberry. Sorry!
    Christer Nordvik, CEO"

Earlier in the month I emailed a productivity app developer with a tech support question on push alerts and received a reply that they no longer supported BlackBerry.

What is worrisome is the amount of app developers seemingly abandoning BlackBerry support/development.

I've had my device for less than 2 months and have received reply emails from 3 app developers now indicating they have abandoned BlackBerry.

This Z30 is the best device I've ever owned but it's hard not to second guess my decision to go BlackBerry again when I keep seeing stuff like this.

Does this worry any of you? It worries me.

We need a way to ensure that Android Apps run headless in OS10.3 given that the device supports Android now.

I hope (but doubt) BlackBerry personnel read these threads but it is vital they don't just stop at compatibility.. they must shoot for FULL FUNCTIONALITY. It's pointless to be able to download an Android app ant be able to fully utilize its features.

It's disheartening when I hear app developers pulling BlackBerry support and even when I download the Android version I don't get the push alerts where the app has them.

I wish I knew how to develop apps lol. I'd be right on it trying to create native BlackBerry apps.

I am interested in hearing other people's thoughts on this. Are you second guessing going BlackBerry again?

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    03-31-14 04:01 PM
    Thank you for sharing. Unfortunately when developers see a constant trend of losses in BlackBerry's earnings reports they will act in kind.

The reality is those who don't drink Chen's kool-aid (CrackBerry readers) see a shrinking market and a dying brand.
    Doggerz and haringfish like this.
    03-31-14 04:09 PM
    No.

"Progress is a nice word. But change is its motivator, and change has its enemies."
    03-31-14 04:14 PM
    Thank you for sharing. Unfortunately when developers see a constant trend of losses in BlackBerry's earnings reports they will act in kind.

The reality is those who don't drink Chen's kool-aid (CrackBerry readers) see a shrinking market and a dying brand.
    Also given the company was up for sale for half of last year, the support of android apps and the frequently touted emphasis on enterprise, it's hardly shocking that native apps will become rarer. Unless of course blackberry puts time, energy and money into rebuilding these relationships.
    03-31-14 04:16 PM
    Best thing we can do is a "shame them" thread on CB as BBW don't even have a version history.

Put FuelTraqker in the no support column.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 04:28 PM
    No,

I'm a developer who still burns bright and builds for blackberry - lots of new developers everyday.

Besides, a few less sports app developers in general might be a good thing. . Trust is some devs aren't meant for some platforms, and people change up.

Posted via CB from my LE
    03-31-14 04:47 PM
    When I got my Z30 about a month ago I resigned to I'm not a big app person anyway and it will work fine for 2 more years. If they do fold I'll get updates until then.
    03-31-14 05:06 PM
    I still support BB10 . Admittedly I see BlackBerry's future moving more towards Android, but still allowing for native app development if developers choose to do so.

- Developer of PinGuin
    squashthatfly and Affie36 like this.
    03-31-14 05:14 PM
    No

Posted via CB10 running on Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2228
    03-31-14 07:41 PM
    Nope. In fact I'm upgrading from Z10 to Z30 tomorrow.

And birdman_38... if someone is an optimist is it truly necessary for you to smack them with the derisive kool-aid drinker label? Grow up.

Posted via CB10. Join C001A8DC6 for bento-inspired lunch ideas
    grover5 likes this.
    03-31-14 07:46 PM
    I will get another BlackBerry hopefully but I think my upgrade from the Z10 this year will be HTC/M8/Note4 or S5... I just don't see anything coming out this year by BlackBerry.

Posted by a leaky CB10.1
    03-31-14 07:48 PM
    Couldn't BlackBerry hire developers on their own and then offer their services for free to app owners who don't want to develop for BlackBerry themselves?
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-31-14 08:09 PM
    And birdman_38... if someone is an optimist is it truly necessary for you to smack them with the derisive kool-aid drinker label? Grow up.
    Oh emstar... constantly worrying about petty things.
    03-31-14 08:12 PM
    Oh emstar... constantly worrying about petty things.
    You missed an 'r'. I worry about pretty things

Posted via CB10. Join C001A8DC6 for bento-inspired lunch ideas
    gebco likes this.
    03-31-14 08:31 PM
    Not second guessing here, BlackBerry forever

From my White Z30
    03-31-14 08:32 PM
    Couldn't BlackBerry hire developers on their own and then offer their services for free to app owners who don't want to develop for BlackBerry themselves?
    It takes a bit more for than just that. The savvy developer of an established app would want money for maintenance too.
    03-31-14 08:50 PM
    For what it's worth. Android apps have the ability to run headless and can push notifications to you regardless of being open or not. It has always been like that with the Android runtime.

I don't use the Score app anymore. Instead I use the Sportsnet app. It is the exact same app by the same developer last I remember but works better and uses a light theme. It is not headless and it needs to be open to push notifications.

App developers are not going to come to BB10 until a few things are fixed by BBRY. Developers need to see that it is profitable to develop for BBRY. They need to see subscriber and sales numbers grow and continue to grow quarter over quarter. Unfortunately that can become increasingly difficult as it gets harder and harder to find top new apps being built for BB10. Chicken and egg conundrum as has been discussed many times before. BBRY under TH shot themselves in the foot with a sale sign and now to save money it is necessary to cut developer relations and marketing. Which just makes things worse. I feel they can pull themselves through and corner a niche enterprise oriented market. Only until they can grow in that market and become profitable may we see more mainstream consumer development come back to BB.
    midnightdoom likes this.
    03-31-14 09:22 PM
    For what it's worth. Android apps have the ability to run headless and can push notifications to you regardless of being open or not. It has always been like that with the Android runtime.

I don't use the Score app anymore. Instead I use the Sportsnet app. It is the exact same app by the same developer last I remember but works better and uses a light theme. It is not headless and it needs to be open to push notifications.

App developers are not going to come to BB10 until a few things are fixed by BBRY. Developers need to see that it is profitable to develop for BBRY. They need to see subscriber and sales numbers grow and continue to grow quarter over quarter. Unfortunately that can become increasingly difficult as it gets harder and harder to find top new apps being built for BB10. Chicken and egg conundrum as has been discussed many times before. BBRY under TH shot themselves in the foot with a sale sign and now to save money it is necessary to cut developer relations and marketing. Which just makes things worse. I feel they can pull themselves through and corner a niche enterprise oriented market. Only until they can grow in that market and become profitable may we see more mainstream consumer development come back to BB.
    Thanks for this reply. Too bad the score for android doesn't push notifications to the hub. I'll try the Sportsnet app. Thanks

03-31-14 10:56 PM
    Sorry Eddy, one more question.... how come the Android apps I've downloaded don't run headless? seems I have to have it open on some and others just don't push (score for droid being prime example)

Thanks

03-31-14 10:58 PM
    Anyone second guessing going BlackBerry with developers pulling support?-img_20140331_235329.png

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 11:09 PM
    Yeah I feel this may be my last BlackBerry phone for me. All is not too promising for the company. They can't push global important updates, devs are bailing on developing app already in the app store, big name apps will not give us their time, BlackBerry has no marketing at all which is where they should really focus. I hate apple, don't mind droid too much, but will probably end up with a windows phone. I still have 7 more months with this phone so I guess I'll see what BlackBerry does in this time.

T-Mobile Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2228 ?
    04-01-14 10:49 AM
    T-Mobile Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2228 ?
    04-01-14 10:49 AM
    I will be honest, at first I was not but now I am. Also considering I have just accepted a job taking over the daily use of social media operations for my mom's work, the fact that I can not get native apps for some of the sites bugs me. I love this phone as a communication tool but when it comes to social media, they are lagging behind. I know I can get the android apps for what I need but if I am going to use a android app then I might as well get a android phone, the apps are not built for blackberries and while yes I know they work somewhat well on blackberry I will always prefer a native app over the android version for blackberry.
    I have a feeling that in the coming years blackberry will be more of a business communication phone rather than a consumer social media phone.

Posted via my awesome BlackBerry Z30
    04-01-14 12:55 PM
    Sorry Eddy, one more question.... how come the Android apps I've downloaded don't run headless? seems I have to have it open on some and others just don't push (score for droid being prime example)

Thanks

Check the options in the app itself. Sometimes apps don't run headless and I really can't tell you why. Most, if not all, the Android apps I've used had headless push notifications of some sort that I would usually just turn off anyway. They all worked but would annoy me. That's me though. I can understand getting your sports scores pushed to you if that is how you like it. Perhaps try a different application. The one good thing about Android apps is there are tons of them, so your choice is not limited as it would be in BB World.
    04-01-14 02:48 PM
    you could always sign up for 4info. I used that to get text messages for sports scores of my teams before I found the score.
    04-01-14 02:52 PM
62 123