When returning to the browser from the active frames, do you see stuttering? It's worse on some websites, for example mobile websites don't stutter as badly as say a heavier website. However this shouldn't affect the frame rate, and ultimately every time I click the active frame it lags, not even sometimes but consistently, and in the same places! Anyone else? What's the problem here, will it be fixed?

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 07:15 AM
    I had some weird lag and stuttering in my text messages app and in my hub yesterday. I deleted all the unnecessary messages and rebooted. Since then it's been as good as new. I just assumed it was a glitch in the matrix.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 03:08 PM
    Chalk me up with lag issues. Ironically happens most of the time when "peeking" into the hub while browsing through the CrackBerry app news and forums. Frames stutter while moving, etc... Maybe this phone needed 3GB RAM. :/
    04-12-13 12:06 AM
    Check my thread on Top 13 Bugs. I've addressed thus issue. It may as well he a bug in the Qt5 layer which is used to create the BlackBerry 10's user interface. Supposedly, they've found found a fix, but something on the Z10 is not enabled by default. I can be wrong.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 02:38 AM
    I see stuttering when returning to not only the browser, but other active frames as well. It doesn't slow down the speed of the OS from what I noticed, but it's not "pretty"

Also, sometimes it's more noticeable than other times.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 06:47 AM
    Yes I agree. Sometimes cb10 really slows down and stutters and lags.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 05:13 AM
    So will this be fixed then in a soon to be update? I really hope so because it spoils the rest of the flow, and it shouldn't be happening with a dual core processor and 2gb of ram!

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 05:13 AM
    I see dropped frames here and there around the OS. Like scrolling from the active frames pane into the apps pane. When to the left, there seems to be dropped frame rates. It isn't laggy or what, just that the framerate isn't as smooth as I would expect. I think more optimisation can be done to ensure the UI layer run at a higher framerate consistently.

Or when you use voice control and you swipe up to exit, there seem to be dropped framerates too.
    04-13-13 05:28 AM
    I see stuttering when returning to not only the browser, but other active frames as well. It doesn't slow down the speed of the OS from what I noticed, but it's not "pretty"

Also, sometimes it's more noticeable than other times.

Posted via CB10
    Yes and someone has, so far, come up with an excuse for this. I just want that individual to come out and really lecture those who are willing to listen and not just use jargon here and there. Then, that will tell us how much the person knows or think he knows.

The saying goes that anything that's half truth is a lie and still not the truth. He claims that QNX, as a real time operating system doesn't have the capability to prioritize the UI thread without compromising other tasks. In our context, when we multitask, we witness lost frames.

When this issue was brought up in comparison to iOS, his explanation was that iOS is not a real time operating system, which is correct and that Apple prioritized the UI thread for the more fluid experience on their devices. Whereas on a real time operating system a La QNX, all threads get round robin'ed on a schedule and it's turn to execute are within milliseconds. When something runs, it pauses timers to other tasks, but even then, the effects are less noticeable.

In QNX, all threads wear an I'D badge to tell the kernel who has the higher priority to switch the CPU to it for execution or to go first when it becomes available to use the CPU for itself. The lower ones get blocked or time taken away to focus attention on the higher ones called jitter or delay. As such, the user interface experiences jitter. I later found out myself, that was where he was coming from--as if it was ok for this flaw to exist within our Z10 devices. Well then why the heck would BlackBerry use a real time operating system in the first place? I'm sure will address this, eventually.

In my opinion our Z10 is not running a large scale database system in the background or rendering photoshop effects, not to mention there's 2GB of memory and it's primary function is for texting and receiving phone calls. Thus, it should be doable to prioritize the UI events that makes for a more consistent and fluid experience as on IOS.

I must also add that 2GB of memory on a phone is different than 2GB on a desktop given the size of programs that are deployed on a desktop laptop. This phone deserves more input and attention.
    Last edited by WhiteSpir1t; 04-13-13 at 04:11 PM.
    04-13-13 03:59 PM
    Definitely noticed it. It's most noticeable in the browser for me. Panning around zoomed in websites can be very jittery at times.
    04-14-13 08:34 AM
    None at all for me, never noticed any dropped frame rate.

The only lag i notice is that when playing a heavy game like "Earth and legend 3D" and i put it in active frame , then play a song, the song stutters a bit.

But when i return to the game, it works flawlessly.

But the OS is silky smooth for me, and the browser as well.

All good.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 08:53 AM
    Never

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 12:54 PM
    Noticed it with certain Web pages on the browser too. But it doesn't interrupt my flow as it's still performs as quickly as it should do... It's just not smooth, as someone has already stated. I'm confident that BlackBerry will optimise the UK over time and resolve this.
    04-14-13 01:08 PM
    I will go out on a limb here and posit that at least some of the instances of dropped frames is due to CPU or GPU frequency throttling due to CPU and or GPU die temperature. I have found that in the rare cases in which I see the UI stuttering (dropped frames in the GUI), the phone is inevitably warm to the touch. I can reproduce the stutter at these times. If I put the phone down without an active foreground task, let it cool down, and try again, the identical operation will be silky smooth. Without an app or syscall to examine the on board temp sensors, this is merely a hypothesis, but I think that it is, at a minimum, a contributory factor.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 01:18 PM