Did anyone else see the post about UBUNTU phones? I mean, am I the only person that is upset? They post a video basically showing a phone that is just the same as BB10!!! Can't RIM file a lawsuit against them? I am more mad at the fact that when everyone should be focusing on BB10, people are getting thrown off by this UBUNTU nonsense!!! The video is posted on crackberry's main page. What do you all think?
    01-02-13 10:03 PM
    Its competition and it is a good thing. Though I can't really see this taking off. In 27 days you will have forgotten this ubuntu announcement

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    01-02-13 10:09 PM
    01-02-13 10:10 PM
    Did anyone else see the post about UBUNTU phones? I mean, am I the only person that is upset? They post a video basically showing a phone that is just the same as BB10!!! Can't RIM file a lawsuit against them? I am more mad at the fact that when everyone should be focusing on BB10, people are getting thrown off by this UBUNTU nonsense!!! The video is posted on crackberry's main page. What do you all think?
    While there are similarities in many phone operating systems, they are what they are. Consider it a sincere form of flattery, but we have the UBUNTU phones coming on line, and Tizen just around the corner. There is still room to grow as platforms become more powerful, so expect to see even more in days to come.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-02-13 10:18 PM
    I believe this is why RIM wants to be the industry leader in HTML5. With so much competition, and a future move to industry standardization on HTML5. RIM can have the premier support and development tools giving RIM an edge for devs to build first on BB10 and port over to other platforms.
    01-02-13 10:25 PM
    I don't really think the unbuntu OS is all that similar to BB10, save for the 'edge' gestures.. but the hard facts are that BB10 will be on the shelves in a little over 30 days, the unbuntu stuff is a year out or more, and THEN assuming they can convince a major handset manufacturer to ship with it (which could happen given android/motorola) HTC, and similar may decide to give it a go.. it will still be another 2 to 3 years before it has ANY relevance in the market place.
    HUNTZODIAC, jakie55 and TomJasper like this.
    01-02-13 10:26 PM
    What I saw bears some minor similarities, and quite a few differences. Sure makes an iPhone look as advanced as a Pearl.
    01-02-13 10:37 PM
    Ubuntu is Linux. Linux is based on Unix. Long before there was Linux (which is superior to Windows and iOS ) there was QNX. QNX is Unix perfected.
    So, Linux is a step down from QNX. Therefore, Ubuntu < QNX.
    What's to be mad about?
    Now, we need great marketing so that everyone understands this. And, until such time as the Smartphone-as-desktop is a reality, RIM needs to release BB 10 as a desktop download.
    With open standards becoming ever more important, I'd hate to be left standing out in the rain in my walled garden
    missing_K-W and jakie55 like this.
    01-02-13 10:39 PM
    OP is overreacting a tad bit, there are some minor similarities but to say the Ubuntu OS looks "just the same" is an exaggeration. It looks pretty cool though. Anyway I wouldn't worry about it, as others have said, BB10 is out soon and Ubuntu is a far ways away.
    BergerKing and convenor like this.
    01-02-13 11:42 PM
    Thanks guys, I guess I may be overreacting. Im just kind of upset that when everything seemed to be looking up for RIM, this UBUNTU junk starts making its rounds on the internet.
    01-02-13 11:45 PM
    Oh, BTW thanks to the almighty CrackberryKevin for dropping the URL.
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-02-13 11:46 PM
    I saw he'd added the link as I was about to. As far as CrackBerry reporting it, it is news, and it should be known what is coming, and what could affect the outcome of the smartphone race. The market as a whole keeps growing, and an ecosystem that works in multiple modes is an interesting concept. And the new BB isn't just a rehash of what has been, as described, it is a whole new approach, with some familiarity. I expect to see things start getting interesting.

Oh, and while they were talking structure, I didn't finish the video, so I didn't see what they mentioned, if anything, about whom they will be using to make hardware for ubuntu.
    pwee111111 likes this.
    01-03-13 12:00 AM
    Thanks guys, I guess I may be overreacting. Im just kind of upset that when everything seemed to be looking up for RIM, this UBUNTU junk starts making its rounds on the internet.
    Nice, but I don't think ubuntu is junk. The smartphone OS looks more simple and may be a worlds away from being ready, but it looks nice and simple and is a sign the industry is moving in a fresh direction. BB10 is now. This is just possible future competition starting early buzz. BB is just ahead I guess.
    BergerKing, convenor and jakie55 like this.
    01-03-13 12:01 AM
    TBH the OS looks far from ready, it wont be out for at least a year after BB10 launch.

Besides it doesn't seem that similar to me; However have you seen Sailfish?

http://dbgorg00d8r0p.cloudfront.net/...1/Sailfish.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/29/3...kthrough-video
    01-03-13 12:01 AM
    Oh boy...
    01-03-13 12:06 AM
    What do you all think?
    Where to start,lol.

1) Ubu is 12-24 mths out, if they even bring their concept to market.

2) Ubu looks cheesy and laggy.

3) They don't have patents or money needed to take it to market.

4) They don't have carrier knowledge or past partnerships with them.

5) They (imo) are doing pr now to catch some eyeballs that are on BB10, shameless and petty coat hanging, yuck!

6) The video (the longer one) reminded me of an oxy-clean commercial.

7) Putting them on the front page of Crackberry.com , I like Bla1ze too much to even go there, so I won't, not my website is bottom line there.

8) I don't see the corporate synergy with RIM, to me it's more like two ships passing in the night, one a long time traveller , the other out for the first cruise.

9) Jan 30 2013 can't come soon enough!
    jakie55, Acumenight and jasonvan9 like this.
    01-03-13 12:08 AM
    Here's a link to the homepage post...
    Um, it's not like anybody missed it.
    KiLuMaNaTi likes this.
    01-03-13 12:10 AM
    lol,you just did the same with your post. Are you really upset or just a secret ubu fan?
    01-03-13 12:15 AM
    Where to start,lol.

1) Ubu is 12-24 mths out, if they even bring their concept to market.

2) Ubu looks cheesy and laggy.

3) They don't have patents or money needed to take it to market.

4) They don't have carrier knowledge or past partnerships with them.

5) They (imo) are doing pr now to catch some eyeballs that are on BB10, shameless and petty coat hanging, yuck!

7) Putting them on the front page of Crackberry.com , I like Bla1ze too much to even go there, so I won't, not my website is bottom line there.

8) I don't see the corporate synergy with RIM, to me it's more like two ships passing in the night, one a long time traveller , the other out for the first cruise.

9) Jan 30 2013 can't come soon enough!
    Re: Number 4, carrier partnerships, especially with two of the more well known greedy ones, can be a problem, as ubuntu being heavily open source, the carriers are gonna wanna clamp down on certain features right away. Interesting to see how they're gonna work out those issues.
    01-03-13 12:25 AM
    TBH the OS looks far from ready, it wont be out for at least a year after BB10 launch.

Besides it doesn't seem that similar to me; However have you seen ________.
    I have to wonder, will this be a trend at Crackberry.com, if so could there be a repository for BB10 wannabe's,lol?

Seems to me everybody and their uncle wants to grab onto BB10 coattails to be seen,shameless when you consider the "RIM is dead" mantra that was repeated over and over few months back, now others act like maggots wanting a piece of BB10 upcoming rise. That's not competition in my eyes, more akin to weasels,lol.

PS. This comment is not directed at any poster, it's directed at the industry/media.
    01-03-13 12:26 AM
    lol,you just did the same with your post. Are you really upset or just a secret ubu fan?
    Ahh, they're pretty new, may not have thought about it, or possibly know how to. When I first came to CrackBerry, I had no clue how to use coding to post a link, or even how to find it to post. I did learn a lot of it the hard way! Big h/t to my bro Wulf for some of the lessons, and exalent for many more.
    01-03-13 12:29 AM
    Re: Number 4, carrier partnerships, especially with two of the more well known greedy ones, can be a problem, as ubuntu being heavily open source, the carriers are gonna wanna clamp down on certain features right away. Interesting to see how they're gonna work out those issues.
    Good point, very problematic indeed.

I suspect at this stage they are just fishing to see if something shakes out in their direction and perhaps try to shore up other areas of their endevours, as concepts sometimes have a way of making other areas of corp look larger than life.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-03-13 12:33 AM

Haha. Now that you mentioned it, bang on!
    TomJasper likes this.
    01-03-13 12:44 AM
    As I stated in the other post, if the video increases mind share for the concept, and creates a taste for mobile computing, that is good. Of course....they cannot even attempt to supply until 2014. What to do in the meantime.....tadah BlackBerry BB10 for the win.
    01-03-13 05:20 AM
    Does anyone have a link to the video? I have yet to see it.
    01-03-13 08:05 AM
56 123