@bobo616

Settings -> About -> Hardware and it will tell you how much RAM is free - if 1.2GB are free and the phone has 2GB, that means it must use around 800MB.

Note: Hmm, with 10.0.10.90 it now uses a lot more, around 1.5GB at current.

Side note: same approach works on the PlayBook as well. (Which has 1GB of RAM)
    bobo616 likes this.
    03-05-13 08:53 AM
    I don't think it will be nearly as good as some people think. 1gb is not enough to run the OS properly. Then again, the Dev Alpha did it. How was the experience on that?
    I would prefer the user interface (layout and gestures) of the BlackBerry PlayBook remain as-is while the underlying operating system moves to BlackBerry OS 10. I doubt the tablet has the memory resources to handle BlackBerry OS 10 and the applications without severely impacting the user experience. I bet the memory module for the tablet is soldered to the system board eliminating any possibility of upgrading the memory (RAM). At the time the BlackBerry PlayBook was manufactured RAM costs were very low; between 2-4 GB RAM should have come standard on the tablet (2 GB for the 16 GB tablet, 4 GB for the 32/64 GB tablets). Otherwise, the hardware components of the tablet remain competitive with other tablets on the market today.
    03-05-13 09:04 AM
    Any BB10 implementation would be welcomed. This tablet feels so outdated since it launched.
    Outdated? Are you serious? The BlackBerry PlayBook would still be on the cutting edge of Heins' vision of a mobile computing platform if not for the crippled BlackBerry Bridge arising from BlackBerry OS 10 on the next-generation smartphones. You don't remove the single most-valuable feature of a product and escape criticism. The BlackBerry Bridge features are all software...can't Team BlackBerry handle the task? Maybe we as CrackBerrians should hire the world's fattest person to sit on the development team, in a closed room with the temperature elevated to 30C to keep them stewing in the fat person's juices, until they deliver a fully functional BlackBerry Bridge.
    Uncle Remus likes this.
    03-05-13 09:16 AM
    @bobo616

Settings -> About -> Hardware and it will tell you how much RAM is free - if 1.2GB are free and the phone has 2GB, that means it must use around 800MB.

Note: Hmm, with 10.0.10.90 it now uses a lot more, around 1.5GB at current.

Side note: same approach works on the PlayBook as well. (Which has 1GB of RAM)
    Thanks,appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-13 11:10 AM
    Note - I figured out what was gobbling RAM on 10.0.10.90 - the Browser. Without any open Apps RAM usage is the same as before, however I think the OS needs yet more space on the phone... (Not sure how much as I also installed some small applications, however I am missing about 500MB of space... ??)
    03-05-13 11:53 AM
    Just curious to know. IOS and even android tablets runs fine on 1GB of ram. It is not possible to make QNX based BB10 optimised to run on PlayBook? Why is BB10 so resource hungry?
    03-06-13 07:51 AM
    I would look at it the other way round.

To offer the best user experience it is best to make use of a lot of RAM. It is easier to offer a good user experience when using a lot of ram, by for example pre-fetching stuff.
    Look at the RAM management in say Vista or Windows 7. Any speed you as a user get or see is due to caching in RAM.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 08:55 AM
    I'm just hoping for all the backend goodness of the new OS.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 05:21 PM
    I would settle for a fully functional BlackBerry Bridge for the BlackBerry PlayBook.
    04-03-13 05:23 PM
    Just curious to know. IOS and even android tablets runs fine on 1GB of ram. It is not possible to make QNX based BB10 optimised to run on PlayBook? Why is BB10 so resource hungry?
    Answer: BlackBerry Android Player
    04-03-13 05:25 PM
35 12