We're using a q10 on 10.2.1 and the hub takes about 10 minutes to open when the phone is booted.

Android apps have a starting delay that can be as short as 5 seconds and as long as 3 minutes. This includes waze, skype, google maps, etc.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by pooger; 02-04-14 at 03:41 PM.
    02-04-14 03:12 PM
    We're using a q10 on 10.2.1 and the hub takes about 10 minutes to open when the phone is booted.

Android apps have a starting delay that can be as short as 5 seconds and as long as 3 minutes. This includes wake, skype, google maps, etc.

Posted via CB10
    10 minutes?
    You mean everytime you boot the phone or just the first time you set it up? I am rebooting my Q10 right now, it is running Exchange active sync connection to work and BBM (did not set up hotmail accounts yet) and my hub shows up instantly on 10.2.1.537 (latest)

Also not sure about android apps start delay, but I just tried Grooveshark, it has 5 second delay before it went white and then another 5 seconds before it fully showed up as functional.
    Google maps also took exactly 10 seconds before it could be used. Same as Amazon, although the white screen showed up almost immediately and it started loading on 6th second.Yelp loads almost instantly but due to network request keeping it busy it hangs for like 3 seconds.

So far all the android apps I tried loaded within 10 seconds, if i had to wait any longer usually the app either needed google services or just was not compatible with the screen/phone/etc.. and eventually stopped responding like my favorite game Dots
    02-04-14 03:24 PM
    Hub is almost instant for me too after a reboot since the 10.2.1.1925 leak.

As for android apps taking a while to load, that has to do with the runtime loading up for the first time after a reboot. After that initial startup, it should be a bit faster with subsequent app loads. Nothing we can do about that. BlackBerry would have to change how it works.

Even so, I don't get any more than maybe 30 seconds for first-time android app load after a reboot.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-14 03:40 PM
    If I restart my device there is a delay to load the HUB and to "inventory" the storage for different files. Seems to take longer with a hard reset or a crash that restarted the device. But more like 5 minutes.

A few of my Android Apps take a little longer than a native apps, but measured in seconds, not minutes. Think they are searching for resources or a connection to moma Google that might not exist in the Runtime. A few do crash once on startup, but will work the next time.

If you have that long of delays..... I reload the OS and start from scratch.
    02-04-14 03:42 PM
    Hmm not sure what's different but yeah it takes about 10 minutes for the hub to start working before 1925 and after 1925. I don't feel like much has changed in terms of hub boot time since the latest update.

My wife started up waze this morning and told me that it didn't start up for a long time (black screen with the bar at the bottom) and when it did, it couldn't detect the gps, so she hard reset the phone and the hub took about 10 minutes to kick in (when she noticed it had kicked in).

This scenario pretty much sums up our issues with the phone right now. We just need email, calls, texts, google maps, waze, and twitter to work without a hitch and currently I'm trying to prevent having to purchase an iphone because of it. It doesn't seem like a lot to ask for but for blackberry, it seems to be a steep mountain that is hard to overcome.
    02-04-14 03:49 PM
    If I restart my device there is a delay to load the HUB and to "inventory" the storage for different files. Seems to take longer with a hard reset or a crash that restarted the device. But more like 5 minutes.

A few of my Android Apps take a little longer than a native apps, but measured in seconds, not minutes. Think they are searching for resources or a connection to moma Google that might not exist in the Runtime. A few do crash once on startup, but will work the next time.

If you have that long of delays..... I reload the OS and start from scratch.
    Ok so I just noticed that you said it only takes a long time to load the hub after a hard reset. She is hard resetting the phone because in the past when things didn't go right, she would do a regular restart and it didn't seem to fix the problem. Is everyone else only using regular restarts when problems occur or are we still supposed to be using the volume up/down hard resets?

The "sometimes crash but works if you open again" scenario won't work for us. I am going to move her to iphone if that is indeed considered unsolvable.
    02-04-14 03:52 PM
    Hmm not sure what's different but yeah it takes about 10 minutes for the hub to start working before 1925 and after 1925. I don't feel like much has changed in terms of hub boot time since the latest update.

My wife started up waze this morning and told me that it didn't start up for a long time (black screen with the bar at the bottom) and when it did, it couldn't detect the gps, so she hard reset the phone and the hub took about 10 minutes to kick in (when she noticed it had kicked in).

This scenario pretty much sums up our issues with the phone right now. We just need email, calls, texts, google maps, waze, and twitter to work without a hitch and currently I'm trying to prevent having to purchase an iphone because of it. It doesn't seem like a lot to ask for but for blackberry, it seems to be a steep mountain that is hard to overcome.
    Well, while Blackberry may not be the best choice for google apps and waze, especially if these two are extremely important to you, iPhone is really not the solution.
    If all you need is those apps and some basic communications, you could do a whole lot better with a $150 android device or $180 Moto G. Do not waste money on iPhone just to get those apps working on a device.

Edit: Sorry, I realized you are on VZ, so $150-$200 android phones may not be available as easily for Verizon, although I would still consider getting them used.

I am dependent on google maps, sideloaded maps work OK, just OK, not perfect because even after minimizing the app, it somehow finds it necessary to refresh the whole screen when I select the frame. Coming from LG G2 these things are extremely annoying, but I think it will get a bit better when I receive my Z30 and give it another try. However, google maps is still very usable and I wouldn't expect the tiny things to put a dent on its usability.
    It's a shame that some basic apps are still not available on BB.
    02-04-14 03:55 PM
    Well, while Blackberry may not be the best choice for google apps and waze, especially if these two are extremely important to you, iPhone is really not the solution.
    If all you need is those apps and some basic communications, you could do a whole lot better with a $150 android device or $180 Moto G. Do not waste money on iPhone just to get those apps working on a device.

Edit: Sorry, I realized you are on VZ, so $150-$200 android phones may not be available as easily for Verizon, although I would still consider getting them used.

I am dependent on google maps, sideloaded maps work OK, just OK, not perfect because even after minimizing the app, it somehow finds it necessary to refresh the whole screen when I select the frame. Coming from LG G2 these things are extremely annoying, but I think it will get a bit better when I receive my Z30 and give it another try. However, google maps is still very usable and I wouldn't expect the tiny things to put a dent on its usability.
    It's a shame that some basic apps are still not available on BB.
    Thanks for the help and suggestions (to everyone in this thread).

We've tried Android before (tested a Galaxy S4) for a few weeks and found the software laggy compared to BB10. The screen is too thin and makes it difficult to hold in the hand. Also, Android has so much customization available that it was confusing to my wife. example: confusion between the app database and the home screen and also getting all her notifications in one place. I'm a techy person but she is not and she finds the consolidated hub view confusing on BB10 because she can't compartmentalize in her mind the context of what she's looking at with each message.

I've gotten my other older family members (age 50+) on iphones and they seem to do pretty well on them. I think it's because on the iphone, as long as they follow 2 rules they really can't go wrong:

1. Don't press the "settings" program
    2. Press the home button if you're not sure what to do

She likes the Q10 for the keyboard so I'm trying to make this phone work for her before we are forced to switch. She doesn't like the keyboard enough that she is not willing to switch if the programs are not easy to use.
    02-04-14 04:17 PM
    Thanks for the help and suggestions (to everyone in this thread).

We've tried Android before (tested a Galaxy S4) for a few weeks and found the software laggy compared to BB10. The screen is too thin and makes it difficult to hold in the hand. Also, Android has so much customization available that it was confusing to my wife. example: confusion between the app database and the home screen and also getting all her notifications in one place. I'm a techy person but she is not and she finds the consolidated hub view confusing on BB10 because she can't compartmentalize in her mind the context of what she's looking at with each message.

I've gotten my other older family members (age 50+) on iphones and they seem to do pretty well on them. I think it's because on the iphone, as long as they follow 2 rules they really can't go wrong:

1. Don't press the "settings" program
    2. Press the home button if you're not sure what to do

She likes the Q10 for the keyboard so I'm trying to make this phone work for her before we are forced to switch. She doesn't like the keyboard enough that she is not willing to switch if the programs are not easy to use.
    You are right about iphone's simplicity. Have you tried the "Starter" or "Easy" mode on S4?
    02-04-14 04:27 PM
    You are right about iphone's simplicity. Have you tried the "Starter" or "Easy" mode on S4?
    Hmm no. I did not know there was an "easy" mode.

I just looked at a video of it. Made me lol but I actually think it would be helpful to my wife. Haha. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-14 04:52 PM
    Another good thing with BlackBerry is that it's not that easy to mess it up either.
    There is no Home and App Drawer, and things are straight forward, oh and keyboard is still amazing.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    02-04-14 07:16 PM