I'm not dumb, but thanks. If I tell you I'm not getting email instantaneously, then I'm not. You troll these forums waiting to start ****. Just leave it alone.

I don't know who you claim to be responding to because you are not attributing/quoting anyone else's post, but my point was not that you were not getting your email as quickly, it was that you took something which is obviously specific to your particular email setup and attempted to extrapolate that to the entire platform, which was "uninformed" to put it as nicely as possible.

For example, statements of yours like the following are blatant falsehoods, and you should retract them unless you don't mind being dismissed as a fool:

There actually is a need for BIS if you want 99% uptime and delivery in your email.

Neither do you have some sort of divine right to make a false and inflammatory claim and then tell everyone else to simply "leave it alone" just "because you wrote it". You are wrong in your claim that this "slow email" is a universal characteristic of the platform.

Matter of fact, there are some scenarios using popular email services (ie Gmail) where the speed of email retrieval using the native Blackberry 10 email client is always faster than most of its major competitors (iOS and Windows Phone), and others (ie Outlook.com) where it is faster than at least one of its major competitors. (Android)
    08-08-13 04:52 AM
    Blatant falsehoods? Who are you Nancy Grace? Jesus Christ grow up.

I'm telling you that in 10 years as a Blackberry user, there has been one major BIS outage that has affected me, back in 2008, and it was for a few hours. I'm sorry I didn't break out the chalkboard and figure out the exact percentage that this would have been in relation to 10 years update / 2 hours downtimes = "x" percentage of uptime.

How in the world does that leave you to the conclusion that I should retract that statement or be dismissed as a fool???

I can't tell you how many other posts I've read that I've seen you go on rants, attacking peoples character, imposing that you're a supreme being of all things Blackberry, and that if they don't agree if you, then they're just fools. You need to get a life and discuss the matters and hand, not dismiss them because you happen to think they're wrong. This is a discussion forum, not a courtroom trial where you play the lawyer who has to convince the jury that you're client is wrong and didn't do "x".

You have made flat-out false claims here, that is my point. Wave your hands around, harass me in PM and whatever else, the claims are false.

If you'd like to rebut my assertion with your own concrete facts, feel free. Your current tactic isn't cutting it.
    habs_fan likes this.
    08-08-13 10:50 AM
    I'm still waiting for you to say something useful instead of "you make false claims" and then don't back it up or explain what is false. Thanks though.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 10:53 AM
    Scroll up my friend, all the info you claim to want is already there.
    habs_fan likes this.
    08-08-13 10:56 AM
    Scroll up my friend, all the info you claim to want is already there.
    Don't see anything reputable in anything you've said.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 10:58 AM
    That's not the case everywhere, depending on where you are, there are BB specific plans (which are more expensive than regular data plans that work on other platforms...) With BB10, there's no need for BIS and a specific plan for your BB to function!

It's also convenient in that if you have another device on another platform e.g. android device and you switch the sim card to you BB10 device you don't need to change your plan for the data to function properly (as you would need to previously for a legacy OS device).

And...Nope BIS won't be coming back to BB10...
    I think you have everything mixed around the BlackBerry social plan was 20$ unlimited social including facebook BlackBerry Messenger twitter etc.. That is why third world countries are using blackberry BBOS7 because it's the cheapest phone to use atm

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 11:02 AM
    I think you have everything mixed around the BlackBerry social plan was 20$ unlimited social including facebook BlackBerry Messenger twitter etc.. That is why third world countries are using blackberry BBOS7 because it's the cheapest phone to use atm

When you say "Plan A was xx dollars", you need to specify country. Carrier services vary dramatically from country to country.

As I wrote earlier, many carriers are still giving Blackberry 10 users a better deal than what they offer users of other smartphone platforms like Apple and Android. At the very worst, cost for Blackberry users is at parity with other platforms now, and the devices are much more competitive in terms of browser and general internet/multimedia performance than they ever were in the legacy OS days.

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...ape-up-782424/
    08-08-13 11:09 AM
    When you say "Plan A was xx dollars", you need to specify country. Carrier services vary dramatically from country to country.

As I wrote earlier, many carriers are still giving Blackberry 10 users a better deal than what they offer users of other smartphone platforms like Apple and Android. At the very worst, cost for Blackberry users is at parity with other platforms now, and the devices are much more competitive in terms of browser and general internet/multimedia performance than they ever were in the legacy OS days.

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...ape-up-782424/
    $20 was an example.. It was $20 for unlimited in Canada. The US was probably cheaper since Canada has one of the world's highest cellphone rates.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 11:18 AM
    That's not the case everywhere, depending on where you are, there are BB specific plans (which are more expensive than regular data plans that work on other platforms...) With BB10, there's no need for BIS and a specific plan for your BB to function!

It's also convenient in that if you have another device on another platform e.g. android device and you switch the sim card to you BB10 device you don't need to change your plan for the data to function properly (as you would need to previously for a legacy OS device).

And...Nope BIS won't be coming back to BB10...
    I agree with you that not having to get a BIS plan is helpful. I like the SIM switchability, especially overseas. Just put a data SIM in, and it works!

However, you are incorrect about BIS plans costing more. I have two BB's on my T-Mo (USA) account, one BB10 and one BB7+BIS. Having BIS on the second costs me no extra - I just have to make sure the carrier knows.
    08-08-13 12:58 PM
    I hope not. If active sync ever goes away...bye bye blackberry

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 02:16 PM
    I agree with you that not having to get a BIS plan is helpful. I like the SIM switchability, especially overseas. Just put a data SIM in, and it works!

However, you are incorrect about BIS plans costing more. I have two BB's on my T-Mo (USA) account, one BB10 and one BB7+BIS. Having BIS on the second costs me no extra - I just have to make sure the carrier knows.
    He said everywhere. The States aren't the whole world.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    08-08-13 02:20 PM
    I hope not. If active sync ever goes away...bye bye blackberry

Posted via CB10
    They could always just have both you know
    08-08-13 02:20 PM
    They could always just have both you know

Technically there are still some services that use aspects of BIS that don't require a BIS data network, and instead work over a BIS or BES VPN tunnel of sorts, you might call it "BIS over Internet". That's what the BlackBerry symbol on your display near the signal indicator represents. When that indicator is visible, the BIS/BES data tunnel is active.

Services that still rely on that include BBM, BES and PIN messaging.

Honestly I don't think it's feasible to do "EAS over BIS". BlackBerry has already abandoned their former proprietary BES to email protocol and now uses native EAS for all the back office communications too. (BES 10.0 and 10.1)
    08-08-13 02:40 PM
    I am in Greece and used BBY for many years, the data plan for BIS was actually even a little cheaper than a normal data plan for iPhone etc but the great thing was that emails were sending and received really immediately regardless the signal of the network - and believe me here in Greece in many places particularly in the islands there is mostly 2G or EDGE network -
    I have switched to Z10 6 months ago and really is a pain to send emails in such poor network conditions. Many business people were using BBY only for this, now there is no difference than any other phone or platform.
    08-08-13 02:56 PM
    He said everywhere. The States aren't the whole world.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    Yea, but "everywhere around the world" BBOS4-7 is the cheapest smartphone plan today even if you add 100mb you'll never run out of that unless you are always on the Internet. The BBRY servers were crazy for compressing data

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 03:16 PM
    Yea, but "everywhere around the world" BBOS4-7 is the cheapest smartphone plan today even if you add 100mb you'll never run out of that unless you are always on the Internet. The BBRY servers were crazy for compressing data

Consider the fact that a single photo shot with a cheap $100 or $150 digital camera these days can be an 8MB file or larger, ie as an email attachment.

I connected my tablet to my phone's mobile hotspot the other day to browse a social networking site for about an hour. The data usage for that one hour session was 40MB.

It's hard to see that anyone who is working with modern technology on a regular basis can use only 100MB/month, unless they consciously give up many things.

Also, you cannot compress a JPEG file significantly over its original size, no matter how much you try or which technique you use, unless you reduce the quality of the image. Same goes for many types of file attachments.

Yes, BIS is helpful to compress text only email traffic. But it also has many other problems (see the link I posted in my first comment here), including possibly not even being able to attach the photo I mentioned above at all, because its attachment size limit, originally limited to around 3-4MB, is now approx 8MB.

KB03592-What is the maximum email message size when using a BlackBerry Internet Service account
    Last edited by Omnitech; 08-08-13 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Extraneous character
    habs_fan likes this.
    08-08-13 03:31 PM
    Consider the fact that a single photo shot with a cheap $100 or $150 digital camera these days can be an 8MB file or larger, ie as an email attachment.

I connected my tablet to my phone's mobile hotspot the other day to browse a social networking site for about an hour. The data usage for that one hour session was 40MB.

It's hard to see that anyone who is working with modern technology on a regular basis can use only $100MB/month, unless they consciously give up many things.

Also, you cannot compress a JPEG file significantly over its original size, no matter how much you try or which technique you use, unless you reduce the quality of the image. Same goes for many types of file attachments.

Yes, BIS is helpful to compress text only email traffic. But it also has many other problems (see the link I posted in my first comment here), including possibly not even being able to attach the photo I mentioned above at all, because its attachment size limit, originally limited to around 3-4MB, is now approx 8MB.

KB03592-What is the maximum email message size when using a BlackBerry Internet Service account
    You like to go off topic and ramble ehh

Who said anything about pictures? Since you are on a picture topic for some reason, I guess I'll follow. Sure picture is a picture it does compress the picture a bit but not much.

I was on a 9900 using BBOS7 with 100mb. For "regular" surfing/google images/youtube I would be fine it was rare that I went over. With today's phones BB10 is one of them I ran out of data within 2days which the same type of browser as I would normally

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 03:49 PM
    But now we are talking about 2 different things. So I'll just stop talking

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 03:50 PM
    You can't compare I went up to 1gb with my 9900, I hope BIS never comes back, my experience was slow, I love the Z10 and the way it works
    People use the device different ways, sure some were good with small amounts of data, and some weren't

Posted from my Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1047
    08-08-13 04:16 PM
    I get that, but I'm specifically talking in the US. There actually is a need for BIS if you want 99% uptime and delivery in your email.

Guess I didn't realize how BlackBerry Data plans worked outside the US, but specifically speaking about it in the US, it sure would be nice to have my email going thru the RIM servers, versus relying on the unstable device to do all the email handling.

Plus, if I'm on a BlackBerry, then I'm not going to be switching to an Android, Windows Phone, iPhone, etc. I'm gonna be on a BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    It's not coming back for email push functionality they may add services that require some of the functions - for example, BBM still runs through the DC of course and in effect emulates functions that previously passed through that BIS connection - but BIS as a service is gone.

And no need to bring it back. Let it rest in peace.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by raremage; 08-08-13 at 07:06 PM.
    habs_fan likes this.
    08-08-13 04:19 PM
    You like to go off topic and ramble ehh

Thanks for your snarky response. First time I ever saw one of those on the intertubes.

The point I was following-up to was something you brought up, quoted right at the top of my post. Here it is again since you apparently forgot what you posted:

Who said anything about pictures?

Oh I don't know. People never send digital pictures in email and sending those imaginary pictures never has anything to do with how much data they use either. Nope.

"Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equipped with 19,000 vacuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vacuum tubes and perhaps only weigh 1.5 tons." -- Popular Mechanics, March 1949.
    habs_fan likes this.
    08-08-13 05:33 PM
    BIS, if I'm correct, has nothing to do with internet surfing speeds. It was an email redirector service. The reason that the browsing speeds sucked until OS 10 was because of the hardware limitation (3g), and poor Java design. BIS was for EMAIL.

Posted via CB10
    No, BIS slowed all Internet related traffic to a crawl due to the fact that it uses BlackBerry servers. The reason for this was to enable data compression so that BlackBerry users rarely went over 200Mb per month and also as an added security measure and to utilise BlackBerry servers to provide an excellent email client. BlackBerry maps was mega slow, browsing was torture too but data usage was low. The clue is in the name really: BlackBerry Internet Service.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4633 O2 Uk
    habs_fan likes this.
    08-09-13 07:23 PM
    Man give it up! Bis is not wanted by carriers and thus costly for BlackBerry to run it themselves with current BB10 user base.

Adapt or fall into the past and get left behind.

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    08-09-13 08:32 PM
    When I had my 9700 on T-Mobile, it was an additional $10/mo for BIS. It didn't change the data amount, just the connection to the NOC.

The main issue I had with BIS was system outages. If they had a service outage, it would take down BBM, email, web, twitter, Facebook, any apps relying on BIS, and push services. Now if they have an outage, it will only affect BBM and Push.

BIS is on the way out. Carriers don't want the extra data plan, or the addition fee charge they pay to BlackBerry for the service, and BlackBerry is streamlining their services and cutting back on their overhead.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 11:23 PM
49 12