Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By schmeat
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Anti virus software required?

Curious to know if anyone feels like we need anti virus software on our bb10 devices?

I'm starting to use banking apps (ING)...and mobile banking websites.

I think there is one app in BlackBerry world selling for $10...claims protection from Android runtime viruses etc...

Thoughts?

Posted from my Z10 using CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,045 Global Posts

The answer is...maybe. If you are planning to sideload Android apps, it would be a good idea. Otherwise, it is what makes you comfortable. I don't use one and don't plan to but, I don't run apps from outside BlackBerry World.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Yes agreed. I've never been a big fan of jail breaking and side loading etc...because of potential security issues.

I know banks also cover you for losses incurred etc when using their website or mobile applications.

CrackBerry Master

just dont use android side ports for the meanwhile and save that $10 knowing you will be secured
    Bold 9000 -> iPhone 5 -> White Z10 -> Passport
    Playbook 16GB
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    243 Global Posts

Isn't the android runtime sandboxed? I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Posted via CB10
    Still no openVPN support in BlackBerry 10. The only platform to not have it.
    Thanked by:
    SDTRMG (03-20-2013) 
    SDTRMG likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,045 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by schmeat View Post
    Isn't the android runtime sandboxed? I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. But they still have access to anything you give them permission to access. They may not be able to do much by way of infecting the device but they can still do bad things if you allow it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by jrohland View Post
    Yes. But they still have access to anything you give them permission to access. They may not be able to do much by way of infecting the device but they can still do bad things if you allow it.
    So, is there a difference between a side loaded android application and an official ported android application? They both still require the Android runtime no?

Is the risk the same for both? And does it boil down to what you grant as application permissions?

I have to admit I get a little confused and paranoid when newly installed applications request permissions. I like to follow the "Least required privilege " approach whereby I don't grant more than I think it needs, however I found some apps don't work if you don't grant all that us requested. (eg flixster)

Honestly I'd rather not install android ports, but it's not usually clear from the app world description whether it is or not.

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,959 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stego View Post
    So, is there a difference between a side loaded android application and an official ported android application? They both still require the Android runtime no?

Is the risk the same for both? And does it boil down to what you grant as application permissions?

I have to admit I get a little confused and paranoid when newly installed applications request permissions. I like to follow the "Least required privilege " approach whereby I don't grant more than I think it needs, however I found some apps don't work if you don't grant all that us requested. (eg flixster)

Honestly I'd rather not install android ports, but it's not usually clear from the app world description whether it is or not.

Just look at the permissions they require and decide from there. Sometimes it's unreasonable and sometimes it makes sense, It any case, they aren't really granted access to snoop everything, but allowed to access should you want to utilize. For example, FB has permissions to access your location, and shared files. If it didn't have access then you couldn't upload stuff and check in. ING askes for soooo much. I give them access to my location and that's it. There's no other reason I can think of that they can access anything else. It's up to you really. If you don't feel comfortable with what it wants, and it won't run unless you allow it, then don't download it.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,119 Global Posts

BlackBerry does screen all the apps being submitted to be sure there virus and mal ware free, they also partnered with a mobile security company to scan app the apps in app world. So side loading is the big worry, and of course app permissions are iffy depending what a developer does with the data, but I assume trusted developers wouldn't have a use for it.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts

Curious to know if anyone feels like we need anti virus software on our bb10 devices?

I'm starting to use banking apps (ING)...and mobile banking websites.

I think there is one app in BlackBerry world selling for $10...claims protection from Android runtime viruses etc...

Thoughts?

I think that anyway you need to install the protection. Yes, the number of malwares for BB isn't big now, but I believe that their number will grow in future. So, stay updated!