What do you believe would be better?
    11-20-15 01:58 AM
    Well Android, it's actually supported

Posted via CB10 v....not telling
    11-20-15 03:20 AM
    It's not about being whose best, it's about who can have the largest market share.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2789
    Y. Z. likes this.
    11-20-15 04:40 AM
    For me and my mum, BB10 will still be better, supported or not.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Vistaus; 11-26-15 at 01:00 AM.
    anon(8908445) and vanrickman like this.
    11-21-15 01:00 AM
    It's not about being whose best, it's about who can have the largest market share.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2789
    Actually, I believe it is exactly about "whose best" although perhaps not "who's best" which is perhaps what you actually meant. 'Best for whom' depends on the person while 'who is best' is a matter of opinion which there really isn't a right or wrong answer to.
    Sparksx likes this.
    11-21-15 01:14 AM
    Both have their positives and drawbacks, but I prefer BB10.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    11-21-15 05:45 PM
    Could someone help and tell me why no reviewer, but none of the reviews I've seen in all these years says the truth about Android? Why even the latest version of Android needs help with pulling ip address with some routers and is not able to get it's own ip address by itself, unless manually assigning one? It didn't work on my home router, didn't work on the free wifi on the bus, on the train. The BB10 device had an ip assigned instantaneously. Tested on Android 4.04 and 5.10 Samsung phones and tablets.
    11-25-15 12:26 PM
    Could someone help and tell me why no reviewer, but none of the reviews I've seen in all these years says the truth about Android? Why even the latest version of Android needs help with pulling ip address with some routers and is not able to get it's own ip address by itself, unless manually assigning one? It didn't work on my home router, didn't work on the free wifi on the bus, on the train. The BB10 device had an ip assigned instantaneously. Tested on Android 4.04 and 5.10 Samsung phones and tablets.
    I guess no reviewer has mentioned it because it's never happened? Certainly never happened to me - not on any device.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    11-26-15 01:32 AM
    I guess no reviewer has mentioned it because it's never happened? Certainly never happened to me - not on any device.
    It does happen to me often, on my home router, Belkin, public wi fi gives emotions as it doesn't assign an ip address to the device and can't connect to the wi fi network. It is a known bug for Android, with BB10, no issues.
    12-01-15 10:34 AM
    It does happen to me often, on my home router, Belkin, public wi fi gives emotions as it doesn't assign an ip address to the device and can't connect to the wi fi network. It is a known bug for Android, with BB10, no issues.
    Please provide a citation for this known bug. Frankly I'm skeptical.
    12-01-15 11:27 AM
    https://support.t-mobile.com/message/444987
    As of 2015 to 2016 this is happening still, different versions of Android being tested. Embarassing thing for Android and this is just one of the things, I could go on and on....
    When will have more time, will write more about the embarassing web browser and its tabbed browsing, bandwidth consuming Android OS, which for data conscious companies might be a big issue.
    Last edited by danifulger; 12-01-15 at 01:12 PM.
    DrBoomBotz and vgorous like this.
    12-01-15 12:47 PM
    https://support.t-mobile.com/message/444987
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1619523
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1965812&page=4
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidQues..._obtaining_ip/
    Last edited by danifulger; 12-01-15 at 12:55 PM. Reason: edit
    DrBoomBotz and vgorous like this.
    12-01-15 12:50 PM
    did you try the workaround mentioned here Fix for "Obtaining IP Address� loop iss… | HD2 Android ?

"To Fix Android going into “Obtaining IP Address” loop:
    rm /data/misc/dhcp/dhcp_list

It seems to come from the fact that the phone requests its previous IP address to the access point, without any discover message, whereas the lease has expired from the AP point of view...

The previous leases are stored in /data/misc/dhcp/dhcpcd-eth0.lease and /data/misc/dhcp/dhcp_list. You just have to remove the second file (dhcp_list) to force the phone to start a new dhcp negotiation."

Would like to know if its the dhcp daemon or the dhcp client that is dropping the ball.

12-01-15 01:08 PM
    Also try the workaround described here https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidQues..._obtaining_ip/

If it works I would love to see a pcap of the bad renew and the good renew.
    12-01-15 01:11 PM
    Also try the workaround described here https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidQues..._obtaining_ip/

If it works I would love to see a pcap of the bad renew and the good renew.
    Did found a workaround for it, the issue being as a out of the box solution without the need for a workaround, this not being the case for BB10, which works flawlessly compared to Android.
    12-01-15 01:16 PM
    Did found a workaround for it, the issue being as a out of the box solution without the need for a workaround, this not being the case for BB10, which works flawlessly compared to Android.
    so what was the workaround?
    12-01-15 01:50 PM
    Manually assigning static Ip. But what about the public wifi, to much of a headache. Find the routers settings, ip etc.
    12-01-15 02:39 PM
    Manually assigning static Ip. But what about the public wifi, to much of a headache. Find the routers settings, ip etc.
    Why don't you try this one.
    "I had this same problem, except I am the IT department at work. I was even able to connect to a different network on the same AP/WLC. The difference was that the network that didn't work was using the DHCP built into the WLC, and the network that did work was using Windows Server DHCP.Anyways, here's what worked for me: 1. On the phone, open Settings. 2. Open Developer options If you don't see developer options and don't know how to enable it a. Open About phone b. Tap Build number a bunch of times until you see the toast popup message saying you're a developer 3. Turn on Use legacy DHCP client 4. Reboot phone
    FWIW, setting a static IP also worked for me, but you'd have to contact IT and see if they'll tell you a free and valid IP address that is outside of the DHCP scope. You also need to know the network number, gateway, prefix length, and the appropriate DNS servers."

Should be more convenient for you.
    If that works then you can get a pcap trace of the working renew and the non working renew
    pm them to me and I will see who is out of spec(server or client).
    12-01-15 03:00 PM
    If (and only if) you take the ecosystem out of the equation, then BB10 is a better OS. The problem is that you can't take it out of the equation. Nobody (or very few people) actually care about that and even then people still need apps.

Even BB10 users need apps as evidenced by the plethora of workarounds they must do to get some apps: use snap, patch out google play services etc, sideload version X of app Y etc.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    12-01-15 03:43 PM
    Why don't you try this one.
    "I had this same problem, except I am the IT department at work. I was even able to connect to a different network on the same AP/WLC. The difference was that the network that didn't work was using the DHCP built into the WLC, and the network that did work was using Windows Server DHCP.Anyways, here's what worked for me: 1. On the phone, open Settings. 2. Open Developer options If you don't see developer options and don't know how to enable it a. Open About phone b. Tap Build number a bunch of times until you see the toast popup message saying you're a developer 3. Turn on Use legacy DHCP client 4. Reboot phone
    FWIW, setting a static IP also worked for me, but you'd have to contact IT and see if they'll tell you a free and valid IP address that is outside of the DHCP scope. You also need to know the network number, gateway, prefix length, and the appropriate DNS servers."

Should be more convenient for you.
    If that works then you can get a pcap trace of the working renew and the non working renew
    pm them to me and I will see who is out of spec(server or client).
    Thank you, I can't find the legacy dhcp even though I have the developer mode on. The second way worked.
    Rustybronco likes this.
    12-01-15 06:28 PM
    If (and only if) you take the ecosystem out of the equation, then BB10 is a better OS. The problem is that you can't take it out of the equation. Nobody (or very few people) actually care about that and even then people still need apps.

Even BB10 users need apps as evidenced by the plethora of workarounds they must do to get some apps: use snap, patch out google play services etc, sideload version X of app Y etc.
    So if you don't mind, what does an app do for you? I mean besides the regular office app, a radio, maybe a few other 1s? I can't seem to find an app i regularely use besides a few which couldn't be handled by the mighty bb10 web browser. The rest are just....a collection. So yeah, we could take the os out of the apps. Is the OS being the true ecosystem? Proof that we could take the OS out of the so called ''app ecosystem"? How many apps symbian had at the time of launch of the first version of Ios? Thousands? Did it had the edge over Ios in 2007? It didn't seem to matter much the app advantage Symbian had over Ios. I recall of an symbian ''app'' that could control even the tv through the phone's infrared port much like a regular tv remote control. This ''app'' thing was invented long before Steve Jo.bs Can't believe we are still biting into this Steve Jo.bs ''app'' thing.
    Last edited by danifulger; 12-01-15 at 06:59 PM. Reason: edit
    12-01-15 06:42 PM
    Thank you, I can't find the legacy dhcp even though I have the developer mode on. The second way worked.
    If I get some energy I will try it myself.

My Galaxy Nexus never had this problem through all the ota updates it got.
    Same with my Nexus 5 and Nexus 6.
    The links you sent suggest that the android client can get a lease but has trouble renewing it.
    Could be the dhcp server's fault or it could be the client's fault.
    Without analysing the trace and looking at the rfc, Its a stretch to blame the android client.
    Do you have any more Evidence to support your claim?
    12-01-15 06:46 PM
    The client couldn't get an initial lease or as we are calling it "connect to the wi fi". Was stuck at the "obtaning/acquiring the ip address" stage. The issue could be found all over XDA forums starting with 2011, probably even earlier, ending....well it still is present, they didn't address this issue yet.
    12-01-15 07:12 PM
    For security, privacy and ease of use = BB10

For apps and being socially accepted = An-der-roid
    12-01-15 07:49 PM
    Speaking of... Glad to know BB10 is not affected by
    BlackBerry response to OpenSSL "FREAK" Vulnerability
    12-01-15 07:55 PM
94 123 ...