Does anyone know the Android version on the Android Runtime in BlackBerry 10? The PlayBook is based on 2.3 and I can't imagine them putting honeycomb (3.x) on the BlackBerry 10 especially because it didn't even make its way to Google's own phones so could it be 4.x? I would really like to side load the Google Now search engine if the runtime is based on 4.x. Can anyone try to side load the Google Now BAR to the Z10 and see if it works? I can post a download link if you would like..
    02-04-13 09:35 PM
    It's all 2.3 because it was open source.
    02-04-13 09:40 PM
    Still currently running 2.3.

Have heard rumors of BlackBerry looking at 4.0 or 4.1 source code.
    02-04-13 09:55 PM
    It's all 2.3 because it was open source.
    That suckssssss. Thought I would be able to do more with Android apps on the Z10 than the PlayBook
    02-04-13 10:14 PM
    Is there a reason why BlackBerry is using the older version of Android runtime?
    02-04-13 11:42 PM
    it either has to be for security reasons or the fact that the majority of android smartphones when the android player was introduced were and probably still are running gingerbread. (apps would have mainly been built for gingerbread)
    Vector-SS likes this.
    02-04-13 11:59 PM
    it either has to be for security reasons or the fact that the majority of android smartphones when the android player was introduced were and probably still are running gingerbread. (apps would have mainly been built for gingerbread)
    As far as I know, most Gingerbread apps work on ICS/JB.
    02-05-13 12:34 AM
    Still currently running 2.3.

Have heard rumors of BlackBerry looking at 4.0 or 4.1 source code.
    I'd love to see this DUDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    02-05-13 12:42 AM
    Yes, Gingerbread (GB) apps work on ICS onward, but the app will still use GB theme which is very ugly and slow compared to ICS theme.

My assumption is the Android runtime has been customized heavily to run on QNX Kernel. So updating it to ICS will require a lot of work.
    Even the Playbook OS 2.0, which took a long time to unveil is still crash-happy when running Android apps.
    Vector-SS likes this.
    02-05-13 04:10 AM
    There are higher licensing costs associated with Android versions higher than 2.*

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    02-05-13 07:42 AM
    Battery Watch reports 2.3.3 as the Operating System.
    02-05-13 07:51 AM
    You do know they posted it on Crackberry's home page that 4.1 is coming (though no date provided):
    BlackBerry Android runtime to be upgraded to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean | CrackBerry.com

If this happens, it means I probably wont need to keep an Android phone as a backup (currently a Nexus 4). It would be nice not having to bring two phone around with me to cover bases...
    02-05-13 08:09 AM
    True, they do work on ICS/JB.
    They went with the android version which had the largest user base and selection of apps, in order to make it easier for people to port them over. If the majority of people had initially developed in ICS/JB RIM BBRY would have probably used this as the version for the android player.
    02-05-13 03:15 PM