Just been on BlackBerry site. The new Android 4.2.2 will be released to BB10 in June. It is on time.

Posted via CB10
    yvpan1 likes this.
    05-28-13 05:05 PM
    This is great news. What is your source link? Thanks

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 05:12 PM
    would really like to know your source
    05-28-13 05:14 PM
    would really like to know your source
    The obvious.. no offense to the OP but it's nothing we didn't already know. It was announced at Live.

Release roadmap - Runtime for Android apps - BlackBerry Developer
    05-28-13 05:41 PM
    Just been on BlackBerry site. The new Android 4.2.2 will be released to BB10 in June. It is on time.

Posted via CB10
    You do need to read the roadmap with a little caution, though. It's the 10.2 BETA that is coming out next month; the release is actually set for August.
    05-28-13 05:58 PM
    Beta? Hmmm. We will see. I have some side loaded apps but need update on the run time

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 07:00 PM
    hopefully the playbook will get the 4.2.2 update.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-28-13 07:06 PM
    hopefully the playbook will get the 4.2.2 update.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Hopefully the playbook will get the 12.1 update.
    05-28-13 07:12 PM
    Is this just for devs or is this a planned update to BlackBerry 10? As useful as this is for devs it doesn't have any real impact for devs until it's on the phones and we can port the higher android apps.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 10:35 PM
    anyone care to explain what this mean to end user? or this is only for devs?

thanks
    05-29-13 01:16 AM
    This is for 10.2 (beta). It will probably go "official" around August/September for the end user.

anyone care to explain what this mean to end user? or this is only for devs?

thanks
    It just means the Android runtime on BlackBerry 10 will go from Gingerbread (Android 2.3) to Jelly Bean (Android 4.2.2). Most Android apps are Gingerbread compatible so it doesn't mean much in terms of new apps coming unless developers were specifically waiting for this update to port over their Android app.

But it should improve some app performance. Not to mention they're adding a new feature (Hardware Acceleration) that should also help.
    "Android applications built for API level 14 can now leverage hardware acceleration by default. This will improve the overall performance and smoothness of applications within the runtime"
    cuek80 likes this.
    05-29-13 03:34 AM
    The thing is this doesn't do much for devs in terms of development. It just makes it even easier to get pre existing android apps onto bb10. The runtime would just allow devs with existing android apps aimed at more recent to submit them to the app store with little to no modifications. Which is why I am wondering if this will be an I date ti then phone as the sdk would just repackage anyways.

For end users however it should allow better performance for Android apps, more functionality, and the full catalog of apps in their most recently form, for the most part if you are willing to side load. In reality this is a much bigger boon for end users than it is devs. In theory anyways, its quite possible that some apis still will not line up hut we should be much better off than we currently are.

In theory there should be much better compatibility than currently exists. Apps like instagram and Google maps should work better and there won't be as much hunting for a place as there is currently as there is currently as you would just look for the most recent version and be done with it.

Posted via CB10
    cuek80 likes this.
    05-29-13 04:21 AM