It seems to me that Android apps are running increasingly slower on my Z30. Never used to bother me but lately I'm finding it very annoying..

Seems to me, the Rio should be powerful enough to run these apps as fast as a standard Android.

Also think the runtime layer needs to be so perfect that 99% of android apps run perfect.

Until this happens, no consumer is going to convert from a apple or Android device.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 04:20 PM
    Works pretty well on my passport. What OS do you have?

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 04:59 PM
    It's a huge improvement when you move to 10.3 and even better in 10.3.1

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1016
    12-21-14 05:02 PM
    I'm happy with it on my Z10LE running 10.3.1. They have come a long way since the PlayBook.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1154
    12-21-14 05:02 PM
    All of my Android apps run fine on my z30 and the passport and they run even better on 10.3.1.1154 on the z30. I am on the factory installed OS 10.3.0.1418 on the passport and all my Android apps load of fine and I couldn't be happier.

As far as folks coming over from Android or IOS platforms, that's up to the individual, to me it's a no brainer, if you want a intuitive OS with great messaging and productivity, buy a BlackBerry. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    12-21-14 05:05 PM
    Good to hear it is faster and less buggy on 10.3.1

Too me this is hugely important if a casual consumer is to give a BlackBerry a try after years on ios or Android.

These users want access to every app available, not just most of them. They have no incentive otherwise to buy BlackBerry since their brand loyalty is not with BlackBerry.

Given a chance and not having the app issue to frustrate them, I think they'd come to like bb10 os better than the others.

All this is defendant on the run time and Snap app store though.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 09:29 AM
    I'm on 10.2.1.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 09:31 AM
    Good to hear it is faster and less buggy on 10.3.1

Too me this is hugely important if a casual consumer is to give a BlackBerry a try after years on ios or Android.

These users want access to every app available, not just most of them. They have no incentive otherwise to buy BlackBerry since their brand loyalty is not with BlackBerry.

Given a chance and not having the app issue to frustrate them, I think they'd come to like bb10 os better than the others.

All this is defendant on the run time and Snap app store though.

Posted via CB10
    If the average users' uptake of bb10 is dependant on snap it isn't going to happen, since snap has to be side loaded.

But I think you are misjudging average users. Those who have to have access to every application are going to, and should, use a phone from the ecosystem they prefer. Those who prefer the communication and connectivity prowess of bb10 will use it regardless of the Android runtime. Having it just broadens their horizons a bit.

As an example, where I work we are heavily invested in visualization. For most users and the most common applications it works ok, but there are some critical tasks that can only be done on a native OS, running on the mettle.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1154
    Alain_A likes this.
    12-22-14 10:40 AM
    It is an improvement on 10.3.1 but it certainly needs work, a lot yet to become anything like an android device!

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 10:56 AM
    Three of my family members dumped BB recently over how bad the app gap is and run time is on their phones. I have always said to them BB is updating and getting better but you can only keep saying this for a while. They are tired of the lets see if this app works or not and will it crash.
    BB10 to them is a complete failure and will never think of going back.

I own a Z30 and not big on using apps but some I have tried and only crash or run like crap. Blend sits on my desktop screen since release and I can't damn use it without 10.3 being officially released. I'm not going to install a leak and the majority of BB10 users won't even attempt it.
    12-22-14 11:26 AM
    BlackBerry OS is also disappointing me as far as android app performance is concerned. They are not as smooth as on Android, not 100% app works, not all features work. The blackberry world also opens slower than 3rd party android store, my Z10 battery doesn't last 8 hrs. I know it's messaging monster but still look like old horse in android and ios crowd. 2015 I might dump BlackBerry platform if doesn't improve.

Via super Z10
    12-22-14 12:16 PM
    BlackBerry OS is also disappointing me as far as android app performance is concerned. They are not as smooth as on Android, not 100% app works, not all features work. The blackberry world also opens slower than 3rd party android store, my Z10 battery doesn't last 8 hrs. I know it's messaging monster but still look like old horse in android and ios crowd. 2015 I might dump BlackBerry platform if doesn't improve.

Via super Z10
    Okay first off, to be fair, the Z10's battery sucks and there won't be a single person in this community that disagrees. I was barely getting 4 hours out of a battery and I'd be swapping three different batteries as well as charging the phone to get through a day.. it was awful.

On my Passport, it's been amazing and like a daydream! I've had to charge this thing during the day twice since I got it at launch, the rest of the time it's been >20% when I'm heading to bed and plug it in!

Running 10.3.0.1418 self-installed after i messed up my factory installed OS, it's been amazing and the first month before I broke the runtime was amazing too! (it was pretty technical that broke it, not something normal or even above-average users would do)

For me, I've had most of my Android apps performing much better than they do on my friends Android devices (Nexus and GS5). *with the exception of apps depending on Google Services*.

Those apps perform about the same, just obviously without the ability to use the Google Services.

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-22-14 01:52 PM
    One more thing when Z10 was launched its price was 40,000 rs in India now its 17,500 rs...not even china phones price slashed more than 50%. we look like fool in crowd to buy same phone at much high prices moreover if company can sell at 50% price why they priced at such a high cost...Blackberry should returned my hard earned money. I feel deceived.

Via super Z10
    12-23-14 01:11 AM
    One more thing when Z10 was launched its price was 40,000 rs in India now its 17,500 rs...not even china phones price slashed more than 50%. we look like fool in crowd to buy same phone at much high prices moreover if company can sell at 50% price why they priced at such a high cost...Blackberry should returned my hard earned money. I feel deceived.

Via super Z10
    Supply and demand. Companies make money by charging as much as the market will pay. You pay more to get anything early, once demand tails off prices will drop.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1154
    howards likes this.
    12-23-14 09:52 AM
    Agreed. You can't blame BlackBerry for this they lost more money than you did. It is simple economics. Not always fair seeming.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 12:54 PM
    [QUOTE=sarang_bits;11186769 The blackberry world also opens slower than 3rd party android store, my Z10 battery doesn't last 8 hrs.

Via super Z10[/QUOTE]

Battering tip:
    -plug in and charge to 100%.
    -Leave plugged in while you give it a hard reset (pressing two volume rockers)
    - this causes battery to charge more fully or last longer
    - Also, never let it die as this reduces battery length subsequently

Posted via CB10
    Alain_A likes this.
    12-23-14 12:58 PM
    Yes I agree that snap being side loaded is not realistic for mass adoption. That said, if snap could be made to download directly from a website like the Amazon store or mobile1 are, that'd be fine.

The narrative needs to change to:

- there is no app gap. BlackBerry has access to every Android app out there
    - the android runtime allows BlackBerry to run ALL android apps as smoothly as any android device.

When thus can be repeated confidently and loudly, we may see some converts. Currently though, it's only partially true, most of the time.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 01:04 PM
    One issue on Passport. Once the back button stopped working. Other than that, I used to give Android apps a separate treatment, sort of viewing them as the dirty alternative for some reason. Had them on their own home page even but on Passport and 10.3 I've all but embraced the runtime and it's seamlessly smooth.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 10:52 AM
    It seems to me that Android apps are running increasingly slower on my Z30. Never used to bother me but lately I'm finding it very annoying..

Seems to me, the Rio should be powerful enough to run these apps as fast as a standard Android.

Posted via CB10
    Rio specs are worse than Z30!!! Rio will be dual core 1.5Ghz and Z30 is 1.7Ghz dual core.. same amount of RAM.. So stop spreading false info..
    12-24-14 02:30 PM
    Rio specs are worse than Z30!!! Rio will be dual core 1.5Ghz and Z30 is 1.7Ghz dual core.. same amount of RAM.. So stop spreading false info..
    Yes. I wrote that just before the specs for the Rio were released. I think everyone expected if to be a step up from the Z30, myself included.

Anyway....turns out it isn't.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 10:25 PM
    Yes. I wrote that just before the specs for the Rio were released. I think everyone expected if to be a step up from the Z30, myself included.

Anyway....turns out it isn't.

Posted via CB10
    There is a high end device touch coming. However i dunno when it will arrive. The original ETA was March 6th. I wouldn't hold my breath
    The original Rio release date was Q4 2014, just in time for the holiday season, but I guess either because passport or classic was delayed, so it was also pushed back. I'm not sure how this will affect the high end touch device.
    12-24-14 11:04 PM
    I'm on 10.2.1 and have to say it's pretty smooth. There are the occasional glitches, other than that it works fine.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 11:07 PM
    It appears that Android app which are calling home don't work at all, at least for me.
    Fortunately, Minecraft works pretty fine.
    12-25-14 12:06 PM
    Numerous android apps just eventually stop working so I end up deleting them and re installing them. If the shenanigans continue I dump the app. Most recent app was united Airlines app. Stop working so I just junked it. It's crazy how bad the app situation is. I never would've imagined it being this bad. Some apps run smooth after it takes 15 seconds to open. Navfree was another just stopped working so I removed it. Someone needs to get their act together. If this continues with 10.3 I'm 100% looking at other devices and I know I'm not the only one saying this.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 01:15 PM
    I find android apps run very well on my Q10, they take a while to boot up, but once they're running performance is great. Shazam, Waze and Navigator are all acceptable.

Some apps don't work well with a square screen, for those all BB10 needs to do is have an android runtime setting where you can specify which apps you want to force to a certain aspect ratio, essentially making a portion of the screen unusable by the app.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by trevorcroft; 12-25-14 at 06:02 PM.
    12-25-14 01:38 PM
31 12