I was thinking to get a leap 2 android runtime 5.0 for Blackberry OS 10.3.1. Which will be launched in Feb 2015. It will be big news and could win some people or inform people of Blackberrysupport for android apps. Is nice before android user don't even get Android 5.0 on there Samsung.LG etc.
    12-22-14 04:03 AM
    yes and also add ios runtime
    12-22-14 05:17 AM
    I think BlackBerry needs to focus on app compatibility and performance. It doesn't matter if that is on Kit Kit or Lollipop.

Posted via CB10
    Gerii, cbcoza and Georgiegeorge like this.
    12-22-14 05:31 AM
    yes and also add ios runtime
    Won't ever happen. The reason BlackBerry is allowed to legally use Android to make there own runtime is Android is open source. iOS isn't so for BlackBerry to create a runtime based on iOS would be stealing.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 05:35 AM
    ART runtime won't happen too, it's Google's proprietary SW.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-22-14 05:37 AM
    Won't ever happen. The reason BlackBerry is allowed to legally use Android to make there own runtime is Android is open source. iOS isn't so for BlackBerry to create a runtime based on iOS would be stealing.

Posted via CB10
    sarcasm...youre bad at it
    tomsobon likes this.
    12-22-14 06:07 AM

Posted via CB10
    Does that mean that the latest and greatest intensive productivity apps won't be available for us?

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 06:19 AM
    Does that mean that the latest and greatest intensive productivity apps won't be available for us?

Posted via CB10
    That's what I assume.
    12-22-14 06:39 AM
    If they could make latest Google maps work on my Z10-100-1, that would be great for me.

Android run time definitely needs to move with the latest one. Sometime this has to be achieved so that we can timely update things based on latest we have on android.

ART won't be a possibility for BlackBerry 10, at the least move up to kitkat and reduce the dependency on android parts for ex. File picker, file saved location, keyboard should be totally smooth, no white screen at the start and no lag whatsoever, downloading abilities, notification and battery optimised (most important) .

Need to make sure it is just so perfect without any lag.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 07:17 AM

Posted via CB10
    Wrong. Very very wrong. That logic is like saying "I didn't give away my design for a diesel engine. Therefore, anyone else who makes an engine that can accept diesel fuel is stealing, even if they make theirs without looking at or using my stuff!"

They could legally make a "clean room" implementation of an "iOS runtime" if they REALLY felt like burning up some money. See: NEC Corp. v. Intel Corp. (1990) as well as Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. v. Connectix Corporation (1999). You can also look to Phoenix Technologies, for their clean room implementation of the PC BIOS, VTech's Apple II clone the Laser 128, or ReactOS for further examples of this.

The question is: Why the **** would they waste money on that, when the majority of apps for iOS also have Android versions that can run on BB10's implementation of Dalvik anyway? It wouldn't really boost their revenue but it would absolutely cost money to make it happen.

Posted via CB10
    thedose and Arun67 like this.
    12-22-14 07:38 AM
    BlackBerry just needs to focus on giving us 10.3.1 in a timely manner, then we will talk 5.0

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 09:19 AM
    OK but android runtime 5.0 will be new and BlackBerry 10 could be in the picture.
    still I like to see more native apps .
    Last edited by whatsever; 12-22-14 at 12:11 PM.
    12-22-14 11:48 AM
    I thought 10.3.1 brings 4.3 support?

If that is the case I'd expect the functions of KitKat to be implemented next.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 02:38 PM
    I don't think we'll see 5.0 runtime for a long time. Changes from Davlik to ART. Updated security architecture. You have to remember that the runtime is a hack and major changes on the Android side like default security encryption could pose roadblocks in the way to a runtime update.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-22-14 03:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    What's android runtime runtime?
    thedose likes this.
    12-22-14 03:50 PM
    If they could make latest Google maps work on my Z10-100-1, that would be great for me.

Android run time definitely needs to move with the latest one. Sometime this has to be achieved so that we can timely update things based on latest we have on android.

ART won't be a possibility for BlackBerry 10, at the least move up to kitkat and reduce the dependency on android parts for ex. File picker, file saved location, keyboard should be totally smooth, no white screen at the start and no lag whatsoever, downloading abilities, notification and battery optimised (most important) .

Need to make sure it is just so perfect without any lag.

Posted via CB10
    Newest Google Maps work for me. Had to open it and wait a while for it to load...in fact I think I had to open and close it a few times...it works okay now...try again.

Crackberry Genius on Verizon Z10 on10.3.1.1154
    12-23-14 05:04 AM
    I too want to see BlackBerry implement the Android 5.0 Lollipop runtime. However I don't expect to see it for at least a year, if not longer. Putting android into BB10 is a lot more work then just copying the files over.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 07:29 AM
    Here's an interesting read on the ART runtime. I don't know what the licensing requirements are for ART vs Dalvic but I hope BlackBerry is able to implement it....hopfuly they have been working on it since it was previewed on 4.4 KitKat.
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...ly-reviewed/3/

Posted via CB10
    mrjmc99 likes this.
    12-23-14 07:53 AM
    Google maps has worked for me from day 1. Doesn't require play services unless you want it to remember your locations etc.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 02:58 PM
    Can someone clarify if BlackBerry will ever run Lollipop runtime on their phones?

If not, it would seem this is a major problem for bb. I know I would not have a BlackBerry if it didn't run android apps. Would love to know the answer to the above.

If the answer were "yes it will", then my next question would be:

Will the ART runtime's (lollipop) benefits be realized in the BlackBerry device?

If so, this would be a great thing for BlackBerry.

Personally, I think BlackBerry should negotiate a licensing deal that allows it access to the android runtime with Google services. This way they won't have to always play catch up and can still have the BB10 IS as a differentiator.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 03:32 PM
    really lol
    12-23-14 03:39 PM
    Some need to do some research...is not simply "licensing Agreement" with Google... The Google Play comes with a lot of strings that BB simply cannot agree to..... BB would pretty much have to renounce BB10 and fork a version of Android which I do not see happening....
    EchoesFX likes this.
    12-23-14 03:51 PM
    Can someone clarify if BlackBerry will ever run Lollipop runtime on their phones?

If not, it would seem this is a major problem for bb. I know I would not have a BlackBerry if it didn't run android apps. Would love to know the answer to the above.

If the answer were "yes it will", then my next question would be:

Will the ART runtime's (lollipop) benefits be realized in the BlackBerry device?

If so, this would be a great thing for BlackBerry.

Personally, I think BlackBerry should negotiate a licensing deal that allows it access to the android runtime with Google services. This way they won't have to always play catch up and can still have the BB10 IS as a differentiator.

Posted via CB10
    Lollipop runtime in BB is a technical problem so doubtful anyone besides their engineers would know how hard it will be or if its even possible. On the software side there are already Lollipop only apps and BB and Android devices that are KitKat and lower can't use them from the Playstore. The examples I've seen is that Android devs are making two versions one for Lollipop and one for everyone else. The Lollipop version uses the Material Design UI elements and are for the most part have feature parity with the older version. That could certainly change, devs could try out the newest features on the Lollipop versions and then move them over to the lower versions, somewhat like what they do with the Playstore vs the Amazon version of their apps.

Google Services is a licensing issue and BB won't be getting it anytime soon. Chen spoke about this in an interview following the latest earning report in which he stated correctly that the requirements for Google licensing which include prominent Google app placement on the homescreen and 'Powered by Android' logo on boot would not be acceptable to BB.
    12-23-14 04:29 PM
    I start the thread but I agree with a lot of people that a adroid version higher than 4.2 will be also nice
    12-24-14 04:41 AM
    I start the thread but I agree with a lot of people that a adroid version higher than 4.2 will be also nice
    10.3 + is android 4.3

Z30STA100-3/10.3.1.1154
    12-24-14 08:35 AM
27 12