Here is a thought.
    I'm sure blackberry is paying Google for the licensing of the Android.

The question is then why not pay for the full suite of Google apps....

Let's hope to see some updates in 10.xxxxx..

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-10-13 09:22 PM
    Android is Open Source, so, no, I don't think BB actually is paying Google.

As for the apps, it's ultimately up to Google to decide whether they want to provide those. Theoretically, BB could offer them a bounty to provide them, but Google hardly needs the money.
    stberry likes this.
    02-10-13 09:25 PM
    Google is not interested in licensing Android without the Google service layer (Google Play, Google Talk, Google ads, Google location services, etc). BlackBerry competes with Android's platform services (Google Play vs. BlackBerry World, BBM vs. Google Talk, BlackBerry ID federation/single-signon vs. Google Account federation/single-signon). Google can (and still might) prevent BlackBerry from doing what they're doing but, for now, Google appears to be playing nice to be safe just in case BlackBerry 10 *is* successful.
    02-10-13 09:37 PM
    can google really block BB from running an android player on BB10? I thought the open source nature of the platform made that a moot point. Can anyone elaborate on this please?
    02-10-13 09:40 PM
    Here is a thought.
    I'm sure blackberry is paying Google for the licensing of the Android.

The question is then why not pay for the full suite of Google apps....

Let's hope to see some updates in 10.xxxxx..

Licenses | Android Open Source <--Pretty much sums it up in legalese.

tl;dr version: Android is open source, no license required. Only if you want to include Google apps does Google get finicky. Anyone can build an Android device and sell it w/o Google apps on it. Just look up the sheer amount of junk out that is running on Android vs. the good equipment that is running Android and that's plain as day. All the crap has Google apps excluded. All the reasonable stuff includes Gapps. Also why Android devs like Cyanogen exclude GApps packages from their ROM's and instead offer them as a separate download. They're not allowed to "bake" them into the ROM's as per Google's rules.
    02-10-13 09:46 PM
    can google really block BB from running an android player on BB10? I thought the open source nature of the platform made that a moot point. Can anyone elaborate on this please?
    android no, the play services, yes
    02-10-13 09:49 PM
    android no, the play services, yes
    so are droid apps considered play services, or are they the property of the respective devs?
    02-11-13 09:46 PM
    so are droid apps considered play services, or are they the property of the respective devs?
    Property of the devs (although I don't know what rights uploading them to Google Play gives Google).

02-11-13 09:53 PM
    Android is Open Source, so, no, I don't think BB actually is paying Google.

As for the apps, it's ultimately up to Google to decide whether they want to provide those. Theoretically, BB could offer them a bounty to provide them, but Google hardly needs the money.
    Comes down to size - they provide them for iOS because of the size of the platform, they don't provide them for WP because it is too small, BB10 I guess will be in the same boat for a while.
    02-12-13 02:51 AM
    Comes down to size - they provide them for iOS because of the size of the platform, they don't provide them for WP because it is too small, BB10 I guess will be in the same boat for a while.
    I'm not sure it's entirely a "size" thing, though. I think there's an element of competition there, too, and Google and Microsoft don't seem to be "playing nice" these days. I think there's at least an outside possibility that Google will decide to do apps for BB10 just for the sake of giving MS a poke in the eye.
    02-12-13 10:09 AM