When I'm at home, Streaming movies, will my Passport automatically use WiFi? Or do I need to adjust any settings?
    01-14-16 08:10 AM
    Normally when it's connected to WiFi and cellular data at the same time it will use WiFi first.
    There's an easy way to find out if you are using cellular data instead of WiFi, check the device monitor.
    01-14-16 08:23 AM
    If it shows the wifi symbol on the top of your screen, you're on wifi

Posted via CB10
    01-14-16 08:30 AM
    If it shows the wifi symbol on the top of your screen, you're on wifi

Posted via CB10
    Both cellular and WiFi icons are both on at same time at home at top of screen, doesn't mean your on one or the other.
    01-14-16 09:32 AM
    One thing you should note. On my Passport if I have a saved wifi Hotspot like Tim Horton's or a hotel it works fine but if you leave or loose the connection and are forced to reconnect and you haven't actually logged in again then your phone will use your data thinking it's connected to wifi. I use Pocket Cast and a few times I soaked up all my data no knowing it was downloading automatically thinking it was doing so on wifi. You have to select "Forget Connection" so it doesn't have it saved anymore and will know it's on cellular or not.

I'm fairly certain this is a BB10 problem but I am the only one who complains about it.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-16 01:28 PM
    Turning off cell data in quick settings takes 5 seconds. Problem solved.
    01-14-16 01:58 PM
    I think this thread is a valid query... I too am concerned by this confusing display in the top bar... this should be made clear to the user...no?
    01-14-16 02:07 PM
    Check the device manager and it will be clear where you've used data.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2876
    01-14-16 02:25 PM
    I think it's working as intended. How else are you going to be able to move back and forth between the two during a voip call without both being active at the same time?

If it's your data you'd like to preserve, turn of the mobile network connection.
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    01-14-16 02:27 PM
    I think it's working as intended. How else are you going to be able to move back and forth between the two during a voip call without both being active at the same time?

If it's your data you'd like to preserve, turn of the mobile network connection.
    If the wifi symbol is up its using wifi period. When 4G,LTE or whatever is up its using mobile data.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2876
    01-14-16 04:59 PM
    If that's the case why have some people reported leaving WiFi and returning to WiFi from cellular and their data amounts being reduced? Are they just incorrect?

Just curious.

Posted from my soon to be fixed smashed screen Z30
    01-14-16 06:15 PM
    Both cellular and WiFi icons are both on at same time at home at top of screen, doesn't mean your on one or the other.
    If you notice carefully, it doesn't show both. When you're on wifi, it shows the wifi icon instead of LTE (or 3G... whatever data you have available)

Posted via CB10
    01-15-16 09:03 AM
    Low signal area. WiFi and Cellular data on. WiFi symbol showing.
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...115_103108.png
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...115_105821.png
    Data usage increasing.
    01-15-16 10:15 AM
    Low signal area. WiFi and Cellular data on. WiFi symbol showing.
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...115_103108.png
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...115_105821.png
    Data usage increasing.
    Not sure what you want to show. You basically used zero mobile data according to those screen shots.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-16 03:11 PM
    It was my intent to show Cellular data 'had' increased while connected to WiFi. From 4 to 4.1 Mb over a 15 minute? time frame.
    If you want to ensure Cell data is not being used, flip the switch to off.

(It was intended for discussion purposes only)
    01-15-16 03:28 PM
    It was my intent to show Cellular data 'had' increased while connected to WiFi. From 4 to 4.1 Mb over a 15 minute? time frame.
    If you want to ensure Cell data is not being used, flip the switch to off.

(It was intended for discussion purposes only)
    Oh yeah. It's normal cause the cell tower and the phone are in constant communication to exchange information... mostly to remain in sync

Posted via CB10
    01-16-16 07:20 AM
    What I've noticed the most is BBM's cellular data keeps increasing. When WiFi is available it should use that instead.

For those of us who use very little data, it would be a nice thing to be able to turn off. Fortunately Blackberry has tweaked the software over the most recent releases to where it now consumes a minimal amount of data, but it still uses cellular. There are other applications that use cellular as well. That's why I recommend flipping the 'switch' to off when not in use.

One of these days I'll run with it switched on for a twenty four hour period just to see how much does evaporate unnecessarily.
    01-16-16 07:42 AM
    I know there's an issue with the Onedrive app that they never fixed. Even if it's synced over wifi only, it hogs mobile data like crazy

Posted via CB10
    01-16-16 10:20 AM
    What I've noticed the most is BBM's cellular data keeps increasing. When WiFi is available it should use that instead.

For those of us who use very little data, it would be a nice thing to be able to turn off. Fortunately Blackberry has tweaked the software over the most recent releases to where it now consumes a minimal amount of data, but it still uses cellular. There are other applications that use cellular as well. That's why I recommend flipping the 'switch' to off when not in use.

One of these days I'll run with it switched on for a twenty four hour period just to see how much does evaporate unnecessarily.
    Check you're saved wifi connections when this is happening. If you have a connection that is connected but is pending a login password this can cause the problem. On BB10 I've seen this where my podcast app is set to only download on wifi and if my phone finds an old public wifi connection that requires login each time upon reconnecting and I don't catch it it will think it's on wifi but the podcast app will download gigs of data and leave me with nothing for the month. Best practice is to "Forget" the connections when finished or don't use those types of public wifi at all.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-16 10:32 AM
    There are only two saved WiFi profiles on my device which have stored passwords and are set to auto connect, and an additional profile pushed by the carrier which I can't remove.

Posted from my recently replaced screen Z30
    01-16-16 12:52 PM
    I did a small three hour test in an area with a strong WiFi signal and a moderate cellular signal. Both data and WiFi were on. Data usage stayed almost exactly where it had initially begun. BBM and standby did use a very minor amount which is understandable.

The only thing that makes sense at this point is I'm intermittently loosing signal where my Z30 is located and switching back and forth between the two systems.

Posted from my recently replaced screen Z30
    01-16-16 04:08 PM