Ive had the opportunity to hold and play the new phones, belive me this is a sleek device, i dont get the op concerns unless he has held one,
    01-27-13 10:21 PM
    Yes the design is underwhelming but its not bad. Its better than almost all android device even the high end Samsung ones. But then the device is about functionality primarily so the design comes second. I'm not too bothered by it except that I'll be giving up a yellow Nokia Lumia 920 which is probably the most beautiful phone out there today.
    01-27-13 10:25 PM
    All this talk about screen size and bigger is better makes me think back to the pre-smartphone era when the big race was to make the feature phones as small as possible. Ridiculously small as I recall. LOL, how times have changed.

Top 10 Smallest Mobile Phones in the World! | Mobile Phone Reviews | Mobile Phone Reviews

Am I the only one who is disappointed with the new design of z10/x10 BB10 devices?-pantech-c300.jpg
    01-27-13 10:30 PM
    Samsung puts the quality in the screen, besides I use otter box commuter, that covers the plastic back! I can use my note with one hand thanks to aid and launchers. All I can say to RIM is to get with the times or get left behind!
    Left behind what? From some quick research, I can see that the Note 2 sales are climbing. But those numbers are a tiny part of Samsung's overall sales. Maybe you and the Note 2 are ahead of the times, I don't know anyone personally that wants a phone that size. I know people were hoping that the iphone 5 would remain the same size as the 4.

So judging by the sales numbers, RIM is getting with the times by selling a 4.2" full touch screen phone. I don't really want a phone much bigger then that. That is what I have my PlayBook for. Who knows how I will feel down the road but I walked by a display with the Note 2 last week while working. I would not want to own a phone of that size no matter what brand it was. Too big for a phone, too small for a tablet. Like I said you can't please everyone. You love a phone that I think is too big.

If RIM does offer a larger phone this year I think they will still be getting in at the early stages of that segment. Will there be enough sales in that size for it to be worth RIMs time? We will have to see. I think RIM is hitting the largest market with the 4.2" and then can hopefully please the hardcore physical RIM keyboard fans with the X10. That is where they need to start. I think they have it right.

James
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-27-13 10:35 PM
    Yes the design is underwhelming but its not bad. Its better than almost all android device even the high end Samsung ones. But then the device is about functionality primarily so the design comes second. I'm not too bothered by it except that I'll be giving up a yellow Nokia Lumia 920 which is probably the most beautiful phone out there today.
    I agree: underwhelming. Nor do I like the two tone bezel....but in the end, a slab is a slab.
    01-27-13 11:27 PM
    Ive had the opportunity to hold and play the new phones, belive me this is a sleek device, i dont get the op concerns unless he has held one,
    Phones plural as in X-10 too ? We have a lot of positive hearsay on the Z-10 but squat about the cousin from the sticks X-10.
    01-27-13 11:58 PM
    Hello fellow crackberry enthusiasts I must admit I am very disappointed with the looks and design of bb10 I was really expecting more especially with the multiple delays for the new platform. I showed a picture of the z10 to one of my co workers and he said it looked like a "metro pcs" phone lol for the touchscreen the lack of a chrome bezel is the biggest fault and it looks rather bulky and the qwerty version let's not even start my bold 9930 looks very high quality with great build quality while the x10 looks too bland and boring with cheap looking materials. I know the hardware is going to be good but is it going to be better than iphone5 or S3? I'm worried blackberry will fail because it won't be able to attract new buyers therefore buying a blackberry 10 device at launch would be a huge waste of money due to the fact that prices will drop in a few months if sells are low. I'm buying a iphone for my mom next week I might have to convert to the "darkside" too

Please give me some feedback on the dimensions of the final versions of both devices? I'm pretty sure the device won't change much from the dev alphas and the phones showed at ces 2013?

Sent from my bb playbook
    I am one of the few, with you. I too am 'not attracted' by the Z10's design from what I have seen online. The X10 has been packed off my list,since I need a full screen phone. I was all set to plunge in the IP5 race, when I held myself back. Main reasons were 1) Just 25 days for the BB launch 2) I get around 100 emails/day and I feel BBOS is best suited to handle this 3) I am used to the unified inbox and find the Ios's message management too dull.
    Reasons that are/were swaying me away from BBOS are 1) BIS data plan, which is a pain when traveling abroad. I need to do advance research to find out providers that offer prepaid BIS plans and are available at the airport upon arrival.It is a bigger pain finding for providers shops once at the hotel. 2) App content. I will wait for a while to see the app content on BB10. They should be free, if they are free on other OS's .
    01-28-13 12:59 AM
    And it is contradicted by actual research, which indicates that the preferred screen size is between 4 and 4.5 inches. It appears that RIM decided to base their decision on actual data.

There is, to my knowledge, no evidence at all that most smartphone users demand a 5 inch or larger screen.
    That must be ignoring the majority of people who still use a dumb phone right?
    01-28-13 02:08 AM
    I am one of the few, with you. I too am 'not attracted' by the Z10's design from what I have seen online. The X10 has been packed off my list,since I need a full screen phone. I was all set to plunge in the IP5 race, when I held myself back. Main reasons were 1) Just 25 days for the BB launch 2) I get around 100 emails/day and I feel BBOS is best suited to handle this 3) I am used to the unified inbox and find the Ios's message management too dull.
    Reasons that are/were swaying me away from BBOS are 1) BIS data plan, which is a pain when traveling abroad. I need to do advance research to find out providers that offer prepaid BIS plans and are available at the airport upon arrival.It is a bigger pain finding for providers shops once at the hotel. 2) App content. I will wait for a while to see the app content on BB10. They should be free, if they are free on other OS's .
    Yes I agree the docs to go app is my personal favorite and I do use it often for work plus the email and messaging experience is like no other but there is apps for ios that do similiar things as well . BlackBerry is a world device which is great but its 2013 now every great phone should be able to do anything I just want the new blackberry devices to be the best both in design and function
    01-28-13 02:25 AM
    Since he stated "smartphone users" towards the end of his post, I would have to assume that feature phone users aren't included.
    01-28-13 06:27 AM
    At least in the developed world, it appears that if that we are teaching saturation with people moving to smartphones and the battle is now going to be for switchers between OSes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    01-28-13 06:36 AM
    4.2" screen is typical BB...arriving at the game too late. 4.5" screens and up are the new fad and what people are looking for when they walk in to retail stores. There will be a entire group of customers that will discount the BB without even picking it up due to the screen size.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    In that case Apple are F**KED! Oh, wait...
    BBMak likes this.
    01-28-13 06:41 AM
    At least in the developed world, it appears that if that we are teaching saturation with people moving to smartphones and the battle is now going to be for switchers between OSes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    I thought even in US smartphones are bellow 50%
    01-28-13 06:48 AM
    What is it about android users that make them so insecure that they have to force their opinions on a blackberry forum?? Seriously??? i thought the large screen would "overcompensate" enough without the need to troll.

As for the Z10, i gotta say i think the design looks awsome. It looks slick and i love the small details: the speakers on either side of the phone remind me a little of the playbook. it's also similar to the speaker abover the Blackberry Logo on the Porshe Design. I havent played with one yet but from what pics i saw, the design, shape and size seem perfect.
    canuckvoip likes this.
    01-28-13 07:14 AM
    What is it about android users that make them so insecure that they have to force their opinions on a blackberry forum?? Seriously??? i thought the large screen would "overcompensate" enough without the need to troll.

As for the Z10, i gotta say i think the design looks awsome. It looks slick and i love the small details: the speakers on either side of the phone remind me a little of the playbook. it's also similar to the speaker abover the Blackberry Logo on the Porshe Design. I havent played with one yet but from what pics i saw, the design, shape and size seem perfect.
    I would venture to say most people really want RIM to succeed, and are BB owners like myself (9900 and playbook). I would just like to see RIM come out with a BB with a larger screen 5 plus inches, just to keep up with current trends in smart phone development. Not keeping up with the current trends is what got RIM in trouble in the first place!

Sent from my SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Admorris likes this.
    01-28-13 07:24 AM
    The launch is on the 30th. So, if you're not happy with what you've seen so far it doesn't really matter and asking for feedback- NOW, is pointless.
    01-28-13 07:39 AM
    I would venture to say most people really want RIM to succeed, and are BB owners like myself (9900 and playbook). I would just like to see RIM come out with a BB with a larger screen 5 plus inches, just to keep up with current trends in smart phone development. Not keeping up with the current trends is what got RIM in trouble in the first place!

Sent from my SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    I don't see a larger screen as being the current trend, you have your opinion but there are arguments for and against. In any case the image RIM is trying to build is that of productivity (peek and flow, one handed use, managing the whole device with one thumb), which wont work with a larger device. you're really advocating a 6' phablet?? as in one inch away from the playbook screen size? I think if you need larger than 4.5', you should look at a tablet not a phone.
    01-28-13 07:41 AM
    I don't like the plastic strips at the top and bottom of the phone on the Z10. I would have preferred a smooth glass front like the iPhone of Galaxy.
    01-28-13 08:03 AM
    I don't like the plastic strips at the top and bottom of the phone on the Z10. I would have preferred a smooth glass front like the iPhone of Galaxy.
    That's weird, that's my favorite thing about the Z10 design

Sent from my BlackBerry 9981 using Tapatalk
    01-28-13 08:22 AM
    Yes it will stand out, as soon as people use it and go back to their own device they'll realize how much slower they are at doing things, just think about the hub, you can access it from any app with just a flick of the thumb and another flick to get back to your app.
    Is that how it works though, really? Because from what i've seen in the demos, anytime the user fully accessed the Hub, his current app he was in was then minimized as an Active Frame. I know you've gotten to play with one, so I'm really curious as to how it actually works. From what I understood, the only thing that kept your current app running (in full screen) was by using the Peek method to look at your Hub.
    01-28-13 09:12 AM
    I don't see a larger screen as being the current trend, you have your opinion but there are arguments for and against.
    Actually, as far as trends go, that is exactly what is happening. Why else did the iPhone feel the need to upgrade it's screen size after 5 generations of the same? I'm not saying larger screens are the best or for everyone, but if you look back over the last 3 years, you'll definately see the trend is moving to larger screens. Coupled with the fact that the worlds hottest smartphones are currently sporting 4.8" or bigger shows consumers do indeed prefer larger screens.
    Admorris and dadymon like this.
    01-28-13 09:17 AM
    Actually, as far as trends go, that is exactly what is happening. Why else did the iPhone feel the need to upgrade it's screen size after 5 generations of the same? I'm not saying larger screens are the best or for everyone, but if you look back over the last 3 years, you'll definately see the trend is moving to larger screens. Coupled with the fact that the worlds hottest smartphones are currently sporting 4.8" or bigger shows consumers do indeed prefer larger screens.
    I think the size of the �smart� and the importance of the �phone� are inversely proportional. The more you value one the less you value the other.

Not saying people with larger screens don�t want a good quality way to make phone calls, just saying that there is clearly a third category developing in the mobile media consumption market, one in which the consumer may not mind using a BT headset or holding an oversized device to their head.

Only time will tell how far this goes or how long it lasts. Look at it this way, the leading manufacturer of these devices still makes feature phones and is developing �smart� devices with screens under the proposed magic 4.5� mark. If they aren�t 100% convince neither am I.
    Rickroller and bmercer94 like this.
    01-28-13 10:00 AM
    I just kind of wish they wouldn't have went with a totally flat keyboard for the N-series. Still, I doubt the looks are the most important consideration to harp on for the upcoming launch. I more hope that they have their ecosystem 100% ready to roll as I could see more naysayers trying to slam them for poor functionality offerings rather than how plain or flashy the first devices look.
    01-28-13 10:41 AM
    I love the design of the z10, so much so that i'm going to do something i thought i never would. I'm giving up the physical keyboard. I've used a torch 9800 last couple years(after my curve) because it gave me a larger touch screen and still had a slide out physical keyboard. It's gonna be an adjustment to all touch screen but OS looks great and i want the 4.2" screen this time. Maybe the future holds a similar slide out keyboard design, but for now, i will love the z10 for sure.
    01-28-13 12:36 PM
    And there's the new Experia Z coming along in a couple of weeks. Arguably the most powerful phone ever to be released, water proof, dust proof and bloody gorgeous with a big battery , cracking Krait quad core processor, 2GB RAM and a big screen....>Z10 or Experia Z? ...>Dilemma
    The downside for the Experia (and other big screen phablets) is the 5" screen...might be a tad large for me, Cant keep something that large in my front pockets, have something else taking the space up there and they are too big for back pockets

PS: I like the look of the Z10, but the X10 is a bit nasty (IMO)
    01-28-13 02:16 PM
139 ... 3456