I have no doubt that BB10 is a product that CAN succeed. The only question is that of time.

It's like a plane taking off on an aircraft carrier, you know the plane will fly but will it launch before the runway ends?

Now, getting some good carrier backing would be a great way to ensure success, getting more apps on board would help as well.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    09-30-13 01:45 PM
    Time is a luxury that is often squandered and never regained.
    09-30-13 01:48 PM
    All so true.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 01:49 PM
    Needs time, money, apps, effective management, timely adherence to commitments made, etc.
    09-30-13 01:54 PM
    Patience...

Trusted Member Genius
    09-30-13 01:58 PM
    and of course promotion,support from carriers!!!
    09-30-13 01:59 PM
    I agree. Blackberry needs some time, but not too much time. Senior Management and Execs need to get there thoughts in order and deliver the greatest phones on the market. BB10 is an AMAZING platform that has a lot of room for growth.
    09-30-13 01:59 PM
    Unfortunately I think BlackBerry needs somewhat more than time. They're up against the momentum of the 2 huge installment bases of Android and iOS.

Think about this: I was at the Artis Zoo the other day and there was a screen beside the ticket booths recommending that you download their app for current events and daily feeding times. Available on Play and iTunes. Similar thing at the Rijksmuseum and other sites in Amsterdam. Same thing for conference information. Mostly likely at many locations around the world. Given that organisations almost certainly pay real money to developers to produce and support these apps, what do you think is the likelihood that those organisations are going to splash out for BB10 when the installed base is a fraction of a percent of that of iOS and Android?

I don't know how BlackBerry overcomes this, and, although I really like my z10, it is hard to recommend it to others.

Years ago I thought that the concept of apps was introduced to overcome limitations in browsers, but now it looks like a great way to lock out all but the most popular operating systems.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 02:57 PM
    No needs to argue about the needing of time... the point here is how much time are we the consumers willing to wait when you have some other options out there that are offering just what we are begging to have.... Even the cheapest phone is offering access to the most popular apps so it's not about the best OS, of course we BB10 is... this is the last chance, the last one for BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 03:26 PM
    It's like a plane taking off on an aircraft carrier, you know the plane will fly but will it launch before the runway ends?
    I'm sure there are pilots who were taking off and thought "I know this plane will fly. All I need is a little more runway..."
    09-30-13 03:29 PM
    I'm sure there are pilots who were taking off and thought "I know this plane will fly. All I need is a little more runway..."
    Yep. That is what it seems is the case for BlackBerry. The key is having enough of a niche to get through to critical mass.

That is the way Mac OS was for years.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 03:56 PM
    Needs time, money, apps, effective management, timely adherence to commitments made, etc.
    And to flog an old horse...proper advertising!

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 03:59 PM
    BB10 has no differentiating features from iOS and Android. It's BBRY attempting to match what's been on the market for years. Just like the Playbook was their version of the iPad, BB10 is their version of a touch screen OS. It may be great, but it isn't better than the competition.
    09-30-13 04:00 PM
    Prime example, my work day today lol

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 04:06 PM
    But it doesn't need to be better, just not inferior - and it isn't. BB10 -- while not perfect -- is the most innovative BBRY has been in quite some time, and the hardware they created to showcase it is as sleek and sexy as anything they compete against. The problem is, only diehard BBaddicts see that, because they wanted to learn more and sought it out, which is a situation BBRY's own management and marketing people created.

The Z10 is a fabulous product; it should have been heralded from the rooftops and marketed on its virtues, making current/potential users really want to give it a shot. But instead, they under promoted it and gave the world the impression that it was just an 'interim' product until the Q10 launched... and they wonder why it didn't generate more buzz. While I agree that they badly need more runway, what they more desperately need is a new pilot and flight crew to make sure they can actually take off.
    09-30-13 04:19 PM
    In Canada there's great carrier backing for BlackBerry.

Canadian cities BBM Channel C001234A4
    09-30-13 04:28 PM
    They had from 2007 until 2011 to get with the consumer market. They were a day late and a dollar short at every main opportunity. Time is not what BlackBerry needs. They have had plenty of time.

BlackBerry misread the consumer market, poorly executed and now will return to what it was before it backed into the smartphone market...a software/solutions company. the problem is that even that bastion of BlackBerry strength is being stormed by the competition.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    kbz1960 and tack like this.
    09-30-13 04:36 PM
    And don't forget about the minor distraction top exec(s) had with trying to get a hockey team... that was a serious sucker of time, attention, resources and focus back when the eye really needed to be on the ball!

Posted via CB10 from my Q10 (SQN100-3)
    09-30-13 05:04 PM
    How much more than competition?
    09-30-13 05:17 PM
    BB10 has no differentiating features from iOS and Android. It's BBRY attempting to match what's been on the market for years. Just like the Playbook was their version of the iPad, BB10 is their version of a touch screen OS. It may be great, but it isn't better than the competition.
    Agree up to the last line. However it's been long since proven that once a market reaches a certain maturity being biggest is more important than being best.

( 1 x shift ) !~ /^1?$|^(11+?)\1+$/
    09-30-13 05:36 PM
    Blackberry needs to lower their prices. Now when Z10 is dethroned by Z30, it should be bargained away like Nokia 520. That's how you do business, sometimes you have to buy into market share.
    09-30-13 06:13 PM
    Markets generally don't wait. The plane didn't take off. The engine flamed out and the plane plunged into the ocean. But the pilot did eject. Not a total loss. Lol.

Seriously they do have more time. But not more time to become a major smartphone handset player. Which, is the most likely reason anyone frequenting CrackBerry would even care about them.

We'll see what becomes of them.
    09-30-13 06:18 PM
    It it worked properly, it would not be inferior to iOS or Android. In fact, some things would be better than both!

But it is plagued with bugs and oversight, and BlackBerry is slow or unwilling or unable to make it work right.

And so, it will fail.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 07:04 PM
    Sure, given enough time they may even solve their internal problems (doubt it - they've become too good at bungling). The catch is that the competition isn't willing to halt operations and wait for them. Why on earth would any carrier back BlackBerry now? Why would any major developer waste further resources on a dead platform? BlackBerry will survive as a provider of services to the industry. Their days as a consumer-facing company are over. "The only question is that of time"? Are you seriously that naive?
    09-30-13 07:42 PM
    While I agree with the statement, they don't have time. No one else is slowing down.
    paulo_mealha, ppeters914 and tack like this.
    09-30-13 07:48 PM
54 123