This is a general statement to developers of BlackBerry 10 apps. I understand that headless apps are all the rage, but one of the unique and beautiful features of BlackBerry 10 is Active Frames. I appreciate it when developers use them, and abhor apps that don't. Even if it's a stinking logo, please make use of the Active Frames. People who see my phone comment on how cool they are, and I always here "Why isn't that one doing anything? ". I don't currently develop apps for BlackBerry 10, but once I take a few more classes, I will. Expect me to use the **** out of Active Frames. I urge other developers to follow suit.

I used my Z10 to create this CrackBerry madness!
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    01-23-14 01:53 PM
    I know that Crackberrians are not gonna like what I'm about to say. But I do not care much for Active Frames. It's a decent idea but other platforms seem to have more effective solutions. (WP tiles, Android widgets)

*takes cover*
    p_r_a_g_m_a likes this.
    01-23-14 02:00 PM
    I want an app to have an active frame usage since I don't want my minimize app just to be like a "stuck" app.

Example are below. Facebook looks like an app that stops functioning when minimized. Just like the other app (Between, an android app).

Active Frames: Please Make Use Of Them!-img_20140124_043453.png

Posted via CB10
    GSM-S likes this.
    01-23-14 02:37 PM
    I'm on the don't use Active Frames list.... I guess I don't trust an app to stay open with the way the gestures work, it's too easy to close them. And with the battery life of my Z10 being so limited, I tend to close everything to save as much power as possible. Maybe with the staying power of the Z30 or the Q10 they are more functional?
    01-23-14 03:28 PM
    I thought a lot about this and came up with a lot to say. But since you intend to learn how to develop for BB10 an write applications I just say don't forget to learn about best practices. It is not always in the user's best interest to have a process running in the background changing thumbnails that no one is going to look at. Battery endurance is one consideration, data usage is another. Are you keeping the GPS running at full speed to update an active frame? Are you downloading an image that won't be seen because the backlight will be off? Can you cleanly move between the 5 application states you need to support without leaving worker threads running?

Don't think you can just add an active frame onto a finished application without planning what it's going to do and how it's going to work first. Unless it is just going to be an icon.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 05:31 PM
    Heck, even an icon or logo looks better than an app that looks like it seized up. Something that says "I'm developing for BlackBerry 10" versus something that is as bland as an Android port. Believe me, I will create something worthy of being left open.

I used my Z10 to create this CrackBerry madness!
    01-23-14 06:52 PM
    I've never found the active frames useful. I would rather have the lock screen come on when I swipe up

The active frames are always just in the way. Just a useless page I have to go through to get somewhere useful

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 08:41 PM
    I've never found the active frames useful. I would rather have the lock screen come on when I swipe up

The active frames are always just in the way. Just a useless page I have to go through to get somewhere useful

Posted via CB10
    Well that would be just you, active frames are one of the amazing features of bb10 and like OP said, people go wow when they see them, it's like widgets, I can see my weather my battery level and discharge level, I can see who updated their BBM PM and who sent me what on whatsapp with just a swipe to unlock, saves a lot of time instead of going into every app I mentioned above to see what I mentioned above.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 08:45 PM
    I know that Crackberrians are not gonna like what I'm about to say. But I do not care much for Active Frames. It's a decent idea but other platforms seem to have more effective solutions. (WP tiles, Android widgets)

*takes cover*
    WP tiles? What do they do more than active frames? Cause I find Active frames to be really awesome!

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 08:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    Don't you do things like copying from the browser, pasting into a word document, editing then posting it on Facebook?

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 08:53 PM
    Do you, TheSmartMale.

Z10 (STL 100-3) Superphone with vitamin 10.2.1.1925
    01-23-14 09:25 PM
    Nerdydaddyo, make it happen. It it's good, folks will use it. If you make junk...

01-23-14 09:27 PM
    Well that would be just you, active frames are one of the amazing features of bb10 and like OP said, people go wow when they see them, it's like widgets, I can see my weather my battery level and discharge level, I can see who updated their BBM PM and who sent me what on whatsapp with just a swipe to unlock, saves a lot of time instead of going into every app I mentioned above to see what I mentioned above.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, I didn't like them at first but have grown accustom to them now. I hope BlackBerry further develops them into possibly interactive frames or something more.

I wouldn't want it to be plain like ios though.

Z30 - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    01-23-14 09:40 PM
    Do you, TheSmartMale.

Do I what?

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 04:50 AM