I was thinking how the new BB10 (at least the first one anyway) will more than likely by a touch screen only device and I have to say I feel a little cheated because it is. I mean I'm all excited about the new BB10 and that but as someone who loves a physical keyboard and has stuck with RIM through the ups and downs I have to say I'll be a little disappointed that RIM didn't go with a physical keyboard BB10 device first and then go with the full touch screen soon after. Of course it'd be great if both launched together but if one does have to go before the other then I feel it should be the physical keyboard one.

By launching the touch screen first RIM to me are saying that this is where the money is (and maybe it is) but by not launching both together or launching the physical keyboard one first they're also saying that we dont care as much about you our most loyal customers as we do about the rest.

Yes I know it's silly thinking this way but I cant help it. I'll be really torn as to whether to buy the all touch screen device first and then trade up when then physical keyboard model launches but that will cost me more money then I'd planned to spend.

So what do you think. Are you a little bit peeved at all as a physical keyboard user that you wont be the first model?
    03-30-12 12:54 AM
    i can see what you mean, but RIM has been pushing gradually for a full touch device, first they tried explicitly with the Storm...that was a bust, then the first Torch, the 9800.

After that, basically every device they release has a touchscreen now.

I cant say I know how the experience of a full qwerty Bold is like because Ive only had a torch 9810.

what I would say, after about 6 months of using the slider BB is that I could, after using this, MAYBE see myself going full touch as the experience has been pleasant and I feel that BB has done right with the touch experience in BBOS7.

That being said, I would definitely go for a BlackBerry Blade concept before I would go full touch.

I like the touch experience and type on the screen quite often but like having the option of sliding out the keyboard and typing away....

Ideal device for me : 4" touchscreen BB10 device with a keyboard portrait slider which does not add much bulk. that would be perfect.

RIM just has to give what consumers want, and right now, that's "slate" full touch devices.
    03-30-12 01:12 AM
    I've no problem with the all touchscreen as RIM absolutely need to target this market but I just think that as a sorta "thanks for hanging in there" that they could have launched the two together or the physical keyboard first
    03-30-12 02:19 AM
    The prototype Blackberry Blade might be enough to convert me to a slider keyboard smartphone from a fixed keyboard but I would need some hands-on time with the BlackBerry Blade before making a purchase decision. The physical keyboard, fixed or slider, is a necessity for me when writing email messages.
    LMG1963 likes this.
    03-30-12 02:26 AM

That being said, I would definitely go for a BlackBerry Blade concept before I would go full touch.
    I would be all over that phone.

I'm going to wait for either a slider with a keyboard or a bar style phone with a keyboard. I can't stand touch screens, save the one on my playbook.
    03-30-12 01:53 PM
    And if they brought back a clamshell style phone, I would be on that phone as well. The style was a great phone, just lacked power and well nobody even really knew about it.
    03-30-12 01:54 PM
    They're trying to gain some ground in the consumer market (Besides what some news outlets would have you believe ) And people these days want touch screens so they're going to give them one. They'll come out with a keyboard one I'm just but right now its about survival and gaining customers.
    bluetroll likes this.
    03-30-12 01:57 PM
    I absolutely agree with you, but I think the issue goes much deeper than just the first from factor to be released. Its a paradox. This is difficult to articulate, but I'll give it a try. RIM has an incredibly loyal following of hardcore users who always say they dont need apps (who needs 5000 fart apps is the usual line), a great web browser (the BB browser is good enough for me) or dual core processors. Now RIM is going to release BB 10 and try to become to the general market exactly what the BB diehards have said they didnt want.

It will be interesting to see if the RIM of the future even appeals to the users who have 100% loyalty to the RIM of the past. As RIM embarks on trying to reinvent themselves they are going to need to alienate thier existing user base to be succesful. Afterall, the simple keyboard shortcut inspired OS is not going to live on. The new OS is going to be a direct competitor to IOS, Android and WP. If you cant beat em, join em, right? All the aspects of the current OS that the crackberry faithful have defended is being abondonded (I assume, from what I have read and seen). Ironic I guess.
    03-30-12 02:46 PM
    i realy agree with you,but i want rim to succeed, and i feel they have to come out with an all touch screen first to get the public to jump on the bandwagon to raise the stock prices and show the phone attics that rim is coming back.they will bring the keyboard on the next model im sure. i am a keyboard guy myself,but i want rim to succeed and i will buy that blade if the is the form they will start with.Mind you i still am useind the storm 2 and i still love it.
    03-30-12 03:41 PM
    Well I have to agree. I want a bb but I like my 9780 form. Hoping it is just rumors and they come out with phones for all
    03-30-12 05:07 PM
    I know what you mean; but either way, I'm excited for BB 10 regardless. But maybe that's because I'm fine with touch keyboards aswell! LOL
    03-30-12 05:28 PM
    Did you listen to the conference call? Thor said that all touch segments of smartphones is growing much faster than keyboards. The hottest selling phones in the markets where RIM is getting pounded are all touch. BB10 is the platform that is designed to compete in the all touch segment. It makes perfect sense that the first BB10 will be all touch. People that want a great keyboard Blackberry probably already have a Bold 9900. They will eventually get a keyboard BB10 device out, but they have to deliver a viable slab to stand beside of iOS and Android devices and people say I gotta have that.
    mithrazor, Zetti and fatboymanc like this.
    03-30-12 05:45 PM
    I tried phones with larger screens with on-screen keyboards and I like it. I wouldn't feel cheated. I look forward to a brilliant 'playbook like phone' seamlessly paired to my playbook.

I also really like my 9810 slider
    03-30-12 06:16 PM
    A few things to remember about the first BB10 handset:

1) Yes, it's fullscreen, but I believe I recall a timeline showing a keyboard version before the end of this year.

2) App World for BB10 will be miles better than it was at the Playbook launch last year, but there's no guarantee we'll see anywhere near the same app population.

3) I'm going to say it's safe to say BBM will be on BB10, but it may not enjoy the app integration that it does on BBOS now, at least not at first.

I'm looking forward to seeing BB10 hit the market. However, I just got my 9900 less than a month ago and I expect to have it for a fair while...
    03-30-12 06:32 PM
    I was thinking how the new BB10 (at least the first one anyway) will more than likely by a touch screen only device and I have to say I feel a little cheated because it is. I mean I'm all excited about the new BB10 and that but as someone who loves a physical keyboard and has stuck with RIM through the ups and downs I have to say I'll be a little disappointed that RIM didn't go with a physical keyboard BB10 device first and then go with the full touch screen soon after. Of course it'd be great if both launched together but if one does have to go before the other then I feel it should be the physical keyboard one.

By launching the touch screen first RIM to me are saying that this is where the money is (and maybe it is) but by not launching both together or launching the physical keyboard one first they're also saying that we dont care as much about you our most loyal customers as we do about the rest.

Yes I know it's silly thinking this way but I cant help it. I'll be really torn as to whether to buy the all touch screen device first and then trade up when then physical keyboard model launches but that will cost me more money then I'd planned to spend.

So what do you think. Are you a little bit peeved at all as a physical keyboard user that you wont be the first model?
    Not really. If an all touch can turn them around then I'm all for it. I will wait for my phone to come out.

James
    03-30-12 06:36 PM
    Touch only is what the majority of potential new users want so I say go for it RIM and make that the priority. I'll happily wait for the Blade.
    03-30-12 06:37 PM
    I don't think it was a decision made to put a touch-screen device over a keyboard model. It's more about the evolution of the OS. What would be easier? Miniaturizing the PlayBook or adapting the OS to a different input method that consists of a LOT more than just a qwerty input conversion? It makes sense that the mini-PlayBook would be finished long before the qwerty. Should they hold up the touch version until they finish the qwerty so that you won't feel slighted? (Hint: It's not about you, it's business)
    03-30-12 06:42 PM
    Touch only is what the majority of potential new users want so I say go for it RIM and make that the priority. I'll happily wait for the Blade.
    Blade? You mean the concept phone someone made up in Photoshop that RIM has nothing to do with? I think you'll be waiting a long time.
    03-30-12 06:44 PM
    i want it to be an all touch phone. The playbook has changed my mind on touchscreens.
    03-30-12 06:45 PM
    And if they brought back a clam shell style phone, I would be on that phone as well. The style was a great phone, just lacked power and well nobody even really knew about it.
    Every time I see something about the Style I almost always have to say something. As a former Style owner, I was so excited to get it and then irritated how sluggish and inconsistent it was. I doubt we will see a clam shell form factor ever again from RIM. I loved the Style for what it should've been. (The camera was great on it though) If it had the power of my Bold 9930, I would've kept that sucker till death. But after using the 99xx keyboard then picking up my old Style, I can't type on it anymore lol. It was still good for the casual user, but not the phone for me in the end.

A powerful Style on more carriers would have been much better received in my opinion.
    03-30-12 07:51 PM
    The first BB10 has to be all touch screen this is the way this new OS is gonna function at its best in the biggest Touchscreen. This is whats gonna attract many iPhone/Android customers. They are secretly working on a 3D virtual Keyboard, so I assume this aim more at making it easier to type on a touchscreen phone.
    03-30-12 08:20 PM
    Unsure why ppl want a Bb touch device so badly, if you want an iphone just buy one. Hoping rim magically eclipse ios or android touchscreens with just a new os is crazy..
    03-30-12 08:26 PM
    I'd be happy to wait a while for a qwerty BB10 before replacing my 99, but it seems like a lot of current BB users would do the same. RIM also said in the earnings call that the qwerties sold better than the all touch devices. I'm curious to know who their target market would be if not the current BB die-hards. I personally think the PlayBook OS tops all the competitors in almost all categories, but sales imply that most of the market either disagrees with me or doesn't want to give anything made by BlackBerry a chance right now. Is RIM confident that an all touch BB10 phone can take enough market share from Apple and Android, right out of the gate? Will they market to the first time smartphone buyers? I won't feel neglected if an all touch BB10 phone comes out first, I just hope that the first BB10 device(s) sell enough to start RIM's comeback.
    03-30-12 08:44 PM
    Unsure why ppl want a Bb touch device so badly, if you want an iphone just buy one. Hoping rim magically eclipse ios or android touchscreens with just a new os is crazy..
    I'm not interested in an all touch device but like I said earlier as well as others its what the market wants. And if rim expects to have any chance at all they're going to have to try and compete in that market. The pb os is pretty slick so I think as far as touch devices go the bbos 10 phone will be as well. Then they have to convinced people to buy it and developers to write apps for it and get journalists to write something positive about it.

I'm going to stick with my 9790 for a while. I still love a real keyboard.
    03-30-12 08:56 PM
    No, the reason they should start with, and continue to make only full touch devices is because the OS needs zero tweaking to run on them as far as hardware and screen resolutions. That's one of the reasons that the current line of devices is losing ground and why they have been for a while. While I love my 9700, it the different hardware, screen sizes and resolutions make it hard for developers to target all devices.

By going with an all touch device, the OS will go directly onto the devices and run all of the currently developed apps. While the physical keys will be missed, there has to be some kind of compromise when it comes to fighting back and regaining market share. I think that once it's out, no one will miss the keys.
    03-30-12 09:09 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD