I didn't read the entire thread but here is something better ( I think), why can't the one swipe be used for quick settings anywhere in the OS while a 2 swipe is used to for app settings? This way the one swipe will be consistent through the whole OS and used for the quick settings.

Don't you guys think this is better?

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and dracolnyte like this.
    05-08-14 12:41 PM
    I think this was a silly feature to waste time on. I don't think it adds much to the experience and there are other things that would have. Like a gesture that closes apps instead of minimizing. That would be helpful. I access the quick settings like twice a day. I have to close active frames I don't need about a hundred times a day.

Buddha Stories - C0038CC70
    I don't know if I'd use the word "silly", exactly. I'd call it a "nice to have", because, yes, I've experienced moments where I would have liked to go straight to the system settings inside an app.

That there's any controversy over this at all just amazes me. If I'm working one-handed, it's easy to swipe up from the bottom and then swipe down from the top. And that isn't changing. All they're doing is ADDING the option of swiping down with two fingers to get quick settings. And people are complaining.
    05-08-14 01:18 PM
    I didn't read the entire thread but here is something better ( I think), why can't the one swipe be used for quick settings anywhere in the OS while a 2 swipe is used to for app settings? This way the one swipe will be consistent through the whole OS and used for the quick settings.

Posted via CB10
    I do NOT think that's better. I'd rather have easier access to app settings when I'm actually in an app.
    05-08-14 01:20 PM
    I do NOT think that's better. I'd rather have easier access to app settings when I'm actually in an app.
    But what do you use more app settings or quick settings?

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 02:11 PM
    You know what they say about big hands

Posted via CB10
    Big Gloves?
    05-08-14 03:19 PM
    On the Q10, I use the 2-finger swipe down with Magnify Mode enabled, so I can read tiny text and pictures like on the Crackberry app. A second swipe sets the display back to normal.

The 1-finger downswipe is reserved and understood as the default method for accessing general app settings. The same gesture should not be used for bringing down the quick-settings roller-shade, unless a lot of careful thought goes into the implementation.

However, there is another possibility: two independent 1-finger downswipes. The first downswipe exposes the app settings header. The second downswipe, if used, rolls down the quick-settings shade.

Single-handed operation. Retains the Magnify capability. Permits both app settings and quick settings from with an app. Bam!

Via CB10 on ? Q10
    05-08-14 03:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    Why not just move the Setting option to the overflow menu, that way settings and options arnt in two seperate places, then pulling down from top would only ever be the quick settings.
    05-08-14 04:13 PM
    I really don't care, as long as we can access it anywhere is good enough
    05-08-14 04:20 PM
    Or (as another user mentioned, this is not my idea!) use the PlayBook corner swipe.

Zed30
    Thanks for the shout out

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 04:28 PM
    I remember that when they were introducing blackberry 10 they said that we can do whatever we want with one hand from unlocking the device writing messages etc. two finger I use only when im typing something long like this post only. I take my bag run to plane and do what ever I want with one hand like the ceo of blackberry said. instead why dont they bring in something to make life easier like widget library a better home or welcome screen or something like in the htc hub.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 04:40 PM
    You can do it one handed. Swipe up from the bottom, swipe down from the top Viola!

Or if you have two hands free, double finger swipe from the top

Easy Now stop being so lazy!
    Pdinos3 likes this.
    05-08-14 05:38 PM
    You can do it one handed. Swipe up from the bottom, swipe down from the top Viola!

Or if you have two hands free, double finger swipe from the top

Easy Now stop being so lazy!
    My god man! How long is your thumb???

05-08-14 07:45 PM
    My god man! How long is your thumb???

Buddy... Its what you do now, is it not? Haha
    05-08-14 09:36 PM
    I'm glad that BlackBerry has implemented this feature, because too many times I've found myself having to access the quick settings while in an app. I would have to inconveniently exit the app and go into the main screen and access them. Although navigating BB10 is fast (& makes dealing with this annoyance not as bad), I'm extremely happy to see that they have a solution to this minor blemish and are rapidly developing this great, new OS! However, for one-handed use, I wish that they allow us to access the quick settings within an app simply by swiping one of the top corners of the screen with just one finger or thumb (whether in landscape or portrait orientation). This is in line with what most of you guys are saying. However, instead of swiping two fingers down to access quick settings, enable this action to lock the screen from anywhere in the OS. I think that would be fantastic! It would be good that this potential feature would take two fingers because you wouldn't want to lock your screen or do some other thing accidentally with one. So by making it two, it ensures that every time you lock the screen, it is a deliberate action. That, and if I have my phone propped up on a desk or lying flat on a table and don't feel like having to reach for the top of the phone to use the lock button, this simple, yet highly useful idea would further complete the overall experience. Think about it, we have a way to unlock our BB10 devices with a simple gesture; why not give us a simple gesture to lock it?! I'd suggest that BlackBerry take a look into implementing this ideas, in one way or another!

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 12:33 AM

Posted via CB10
    I second this. it's a really dumb idea for two finger swipe in an app to bring down the quick setting menu, while in the home screen it is one finger. IN FACT, you cannot even two-finger swipe to bring down quick settings from the home screen. so it will confuse the heck out of all the mature users.

i propose changing to two finger swipe or corner swipe, like someone mentioned, for app settings and one finger swipe for quick settings. keeps everything consistent and universal, not confusing. heck i don't even use the swipe down setting that often anyways, i setup the apps the way i like once and i forget it.
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    05-09-14 09:37 PM
    Two fingers, that's ridiculous, corner swipe ftw!
    05-09-14 11:01 PM
    I second this. it's a really dumb idea for two finger swipe in an app to bring down the quick setting menu, while in the home screen it is one finger. IN FACT, you cannot even two-finger swipe to bring down quick settings from the home screen. so it will confuse the heck out of all the mature users.

i propose changing to two finger swipe or corner swipe, like someone mentioned, for app settings and one finger swipe for quick settings. keeps everything consistent and universal, not confusing. heck i don't even use the swipe down setting that often anyways, i setup the apps the way i like once and i forget it.
    It's all in how you look at it. It is consistent.

In app or from home screen, you are invoking the menu for the instance you are actively in with one finger.

Now, as a NEW FEATURE, you can now also access Quick Setting from in app without having to leave app.

Nothing lost, only added. Consistent is one finger down gets menu for the main thing you are doing. Period. Any thing else is taking a different point of view.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 01:17 AM

Posted via CB10
    In apps it is more likely people will want to access the app setting more often than quick settings. I think they have it right!
    05-10-14 08:17 PM
    In apps it is more likely people will want to access the app setting more often than quick settings. I think they have it right!
    Really? So do you change your apps settings everyday? Every week? I don't think so but I use quick settings everyday.

Posted via CB10
    dracolnyte likes this.
    05-10-14 09:31 PM
    just move the app settings to the top of the overflow menu and dedicate one finger swiping anywhere in os to the quick settings
    dracolnyte likes this.
    05-10-14 10:24 PM
    Really? So do you change your apps settings everyday? Every week? I don't think so but I use quick settings everyday.

Posted via CB10
    I use quick settings a lot more often, but what I am saying when inside an app its more likely I would want to use app settings before quick settings. If I wanted to do something in quick settings its likely I would be wanting to exit or minimize the app anyways and in this case quick settings is available with a single swipe.
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    05-10-14 10:33 PM
    That's an incorrect statement. Majority of people use phones for messaging and u need two hands to msg. If the phone was made for one handed use then u wud never need the second hand even when typing. Invalid argument.

Posted via CB10
    I don't need 2 hands to message on the Q

Posted with my ? Q10.
    05-10-14 11:27 PM
    It's very clear that some people just need things to complain about.... Maybe they're unhappy, maybe their lives are a bit boring... Who knows. But anyone that's spent any time on CB knows that, no matter what is announced, people will always complain, haha
    05-11-14 01:13 AM
73 123