Was just sitting here wondering what the future is for BB Android Runtime as the goal of Lollipop was to eliminate or at least reduce fragmentation.

That said, I figure as apps become L compatible, will they even run in BB 10 emulation any longer? Is Android L the doom for apps running in the future on BB10?

Thoughts?
    12-18-14 12:22 PM
    Only to the extent that app developers in updating their apps to Material Design also hook more into Google Services at the same time. Google is exerting more control over Android via Google Services and that is the looming problem.
    12-18-14 12:33 PM
    Was just sitting here wondering what the future is for BB Android Runtime as the goal of Lollipop was to eliminate or at least reduce fragmentation.

That said, I figure as apps become L compatible, will they even run in BB 10 emulation any longer? Is Android L the doom for apps running in the future on BB10?

Thoughts?
    Considering that all Google made Android L compatible apps run just fine on BB10, the answer would be no. Also, there is no such thing as eliminating Android fragmentation. The biggest differentiators for every Android manufacturer are price, specs, and how recent the Android OS is that they have released. For instance, my perfectly current LG G2 has not received an Android L update. Who knows when or if it will ever receive it. Same with Samsung. The list goes on.

Android Lollipop 5.0 update: when can I get it? | News | TechRadar

The biggest threat to BB10 Android app compatibility is the dependence on Google Play Services, which is unfortunately becoming more of a threat by the day. More and more top apps that are on the Google Play Store are becoming integrated with Google Play Services in one way or another. BlackBerry will need to solve this issue by providing a more robust way of working around this limitation. At the very least they should start by tricking apps into thinking that the platform has Google Play Services. Most apps that integrate Google Play Services don't actually need them to function correctly, or at least at 95%+. They just like to "check" for it. Groupon is a prime example of this. The app runs just fine without Google Play Services, but it checks for Google Play Services constantly which means that it cannot run on BB10.
    12-18-14 12:37 PM
    So how did this all work out...lol

Looks like I called it....
    08-22-16 10:55 PM
    Well, considering that even apps specifically made for Android 4.4 Kit Kat can't run on the BB10 Android emulator - being stuck permanently at 4.3 Jelly Bean - you called more than you know.

Just ask those trying to get Pok�mon Go working on BB10 (minimum android version required - 4.4).

Posted via CB10
    08-23-16 02:33 PM
    Well, considering that even apps specifically made for Android 4.4 Kit Kat can't run on the BB10 Android emulator - being stuck permanently at 4.3 Jelly Bean - you called more than you know.

Just ask those trying to get Pok�mon Go working on BB10 (minimum android version required - 4.4).

Posted via CB10
    There's a thread about getting Pok�mon Go to work on BB10. It involves a couple of steps but it works in the end (or so they say). Also, my dad needed an app for his work recently. It was not available for BB10 ART 4.3 (4.4 and up) but I downloaded the APK and installed it and everything just works. So some 4.4 things, with or without modifying the APK, do work on our 4.3

Posted via CB10 using my amazing BlackBerry Passport (OG Red)
    08-23-16 04:39 PM
    True. The api level, which determines the android version it will load on, is set in the app, and that can be changed through some tricks. That's how Pok�mon Go was made to work. Although, it was never without issues and I don't know if it now still works or not with the recent updates. I stopped reading that thread since I never bothered with the app. I followed it for a while out of curiosity.

It's also possible that the api level may actually be lower than what the app says it requires.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-16 11:13 PM